JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to purchase either a Springfield XDM or a Glock 17 and was wondering what people were thinking would be the better purchase between the two. I like the way both of them feel in my hand but Glock has the reputation backing it and I'm not sure how reliable the XDM's are. Look forward to hearing everybody's feedback in helping me out.

The genesis of the XD dates back to an early 90's Croatian design and is very reliable. The specific model that became the XD is the Hrvatski Samokres 2000 which has been in service since 1999. There is a torture test below showing an XD9 surviving sand, mud and ice for 20,000 rounds with zero failures.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Personally I think the XD and XDM pistols are an excellent choice given their features, ergonomics, reliability and price. Most of the XDM features are 'premium' upgrades such as the match barrel and backstrap ergonomics. The only new XDM reliability/safety feature I can think of is the ability to strip the weapon without pulling the trigger.

Both the XD and the Glock are excellent guns. IMHO, the XD has the better trigger pull and ergonomics, but the Glock has the lower bore axis, which is good.

Honestly, I'd just go with whichever one fits your hands better, you can be confident with either choice you make.

I have to agree with Kain, both are good guns the final deciding factor should be what fits well in your hands. I personally like the glocks but really like that the xdm's come with different size backstraps for fit in your hand. Price-wise the glock's seem to be a bit cheaper but then again whats a few buck's versus the bad guy and your life. this is my 2/100th's hope it help's

I went with an XDm over a Glock because of how it fits my hand, the Glock fits horribly. I like Glocks and wish they fit better. Maybe with their new changeable grips they will fit better.

I originally purchased a Glock over the XD, before the XDm, mostly because the Glock, used but looked new, was a better price. However I have since sold the Glock and now own the XDm.

+1 for the XDm

I had an XDm 40 that I sold (because I consolidated my handguns down to 9 and 45 only), but I've always had a feeling I'll be buying another XDm 9 at some point in the future. It's going to be every bit as reliable as the G17, with almost as much after market support/ accessories.

There's another thread someplace inquiring about "the most accurate 9mm out of the box", and I recall the XDm getting several favorable votes based on that criteria as well.

The ONLY issue you might have with the XDm platform is that the mags are totally unique, which kind of sucks. They do not interchange with the regular XD, and they'll run you about $40 each.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the XDm

For those that chose to shoot reload ammo i suggest go with glock. Xd is very accurate and nothing wrong with it, i own it and loving it. But once come to shooting reload ammo I am few jamn on the xd. The case of a live round will not insert into the barrel completely. Caused my xd jamn, i cant rack it back to eject the round by hand. I sometime use the flat head screwdriver to get the eject hole crack open. While glock eat anything i feef including the bad round xd wont eject.

So if you are going to use only manufacturing ammo then go with xd.

Both are great. Only gripe I have against the XD platform is the grip safety. Slide won't rack if you don't have the grip safety engaged. Seen a few folks fumble with that 'cause their hand wasn't firmly planted at defensive pistol classes. The XD is more comfortable for me to shoot though. I own Glocks but would encourage someone to own either.

I believe the new 4th generation Glock has interchangeable backstraps as well. I have always found the xd's to be way to top-heavy for my liking. For that reason, I stick with Glock's for my polymer guns. I have not shot the new xdm, but after fondling one, they're still top heavy. I do like the new interchangeable straps on the 4th gen Glocks, although it almost feels best with no insert in...

The ONLY issue you might have with the XDm platform is that the mags are totally unique, which kind of sucks. They do not interchange with the regular XD, and they'll run you about $40 each.

As to the above, I paid $28 for a third mag at my local gunshop.

My 9mm XDm was my first ever handgun. In my first class I was shooting 4" groups at 7 yards. Now, after about 200 rounds of practice, I can do a decent group at 50 feet (about 3")
I know that it isn't great but I'd never fired a handgun before, plus I'm over 60. I'm sure that younger folks will do much better.

I love to shoot this one. Almost no recoil, not much worse than a .22 actually. Ergonomics are great. I lift my arm and it's pointing where I want it to shoot.
VERY easy to disassemble too. Glocks aren't bad, I've watched a friend take his apart, but the XDs are much easier. Lock the action open, flip a lever and pull forward. That's it. ;)

As for reloads, I had a little problem at first using the Lyman recommendation for Bullseye (minimum). The action wouldn't cycle properly. Increased the load from 3.6 to 4.0 grains. Works fine now. So, I suspect that it takes a bit more force for people like me who don't have a rock solid grip. (Though factory ammo works fine - Winchester and Blazer)

Last Edited:
The XDM is a Glock with more features (loading indicator, cocking indicator, Grip Safety, more mag capacity, heavier barrel, smoother trigger).

But the Glock is a little slimmer and easier to carry....also it's cheaper. Choice is your's, really....not going to go wrong with either gun (except for them being 9mm! lol).

When I was faced with this same dilema, I bought a Beretta px4. :D
In hindsight, I'd still buy the px4... Accurate enough to beat out people with $2k+ 1911's and custom loads to win a local pistol league, and it's given me flawless reliability despite heavy abuses, cheap ammo, and a high round count.

The xdm was blocky, overloaded with needless safeties, and very top heave. The Glock didnt fit my hands well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top