JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When milliseconds count, it only takes microseconds to disengage a safety.

I believe there have been police officers who have been killed while working out the safety.

So, yes, it only takes a fraction of a second, but one may not get it right at the time when it is needed. It is one more thing to fail.

There are also other things that only take a fraction of second to do, and yet most of us would rather not have to deal with it or would rather cut down the time even more. This includes racking the slide (for those who don't carry cocked), pointing the pistol (draw), acquiring the target, follow-up shots, etc.

When my life it at stake, I would take every small time that I can save, and also reduce all failures that could possibly happen (give no chance to Murphy).

Of course, working out the safety can be practiced. But there is no standard there. Not all pistols have the safety in the same place or is operated in the same way. Plus, I only have a fixed amount of time for pistol practice. I would rather spend all of that on things like trigger control and target acquisition.

And so, while I have pistols with external safeties, I have more confidence and peace of mind with the Glock and the P7 - both being idiot-proof.

FWIW- I have both an XD 9 & 45, both service models & am impressed with them. What has sold me on XDs, besides their ergonmics (for me) & reliability is the Springfield Warranty service. Had to use it for things I did wrong & they were super.

Still don't think anyone can go wrong with either a Glock or XD

For those that chose to shoot reload ammo i suggest go with glock. Xd is very accurate and nothing wrong with it, i own it and loving it. But once come to shooting reload ammo I am few jamn on the xd. The case of a live round will not insert into the barrel completely. Caused my xd jamn, i cant rack it back to eject the round by hand. I sometime use the flat head screwdriver to get the eject hole crack open. While glock eat anything i feef including the bad round xd wont eject.

So if you are going to use only manufacturing ammo then go with xd.

That sounds to me like reloaded ammo that has not been properly run through a resizing die. Scary improper reloading practices.

I don't believe that either Glock or SA recommends/warranties reloaded ammo.

I know this thread is a little old but SA is offering a really good deal until November 31, 2011:

3 EXTRA magazines and a mag carrier!!! That means 5 magazines and 2 carriers!!

Just buy an XD or XD(m)

The most important feature between Glock and XD series is that the XD have fully supported chambers. If you reload, the brass will last longer and not have that Glock brass bulge.

Not so. No auto or semi auto has a fully supported chamber. The unsupported part is the feed ramp. Put a round in an XD and look carefully. You'll see that the casing extends back over the feed ramp.

unsupportedchambers.jpg

"Barrel: 4" Steel, Melonite, Fully Supported Ramp"

Copied the above spec off Springfield's website page regarding the XD's barrel.

All I know is the brass from my Glock has a bulge and the XD does not.

I'd like to see a picture of your XD barrel. Maybe you're right, but then I'd be curious as to how it feeds a round into the chamber. All I know is that at least 80% of all LEOs in this country carry Glocks and don't complain. Glocks are made in Austria, and the so-called "Springfield" XD is a re-branded Croatian knock-off.

I do know that the very earliest models of Glock had a less supported chamber than the newer ones and there were a very few problems. I know of no problems with any built in the past ten years.

I reload for my Glock 19 and 23, and notice no bulges. Also, I know of no manufacturer which recommends using reloads for CYA reasons, but to me that means nothing.

There is a reason that Glocks are far more popular than XD's.

MY 3 reasons I bought a XDM over a glock

1. The XDM fit my hand better
2. Wanted to be able to shoot lead without buying a new barrel
3. Saw too many instances of bulged brass (especially in .40) from the glock.

4. The XDM has a more appealing look to me (which is a minor reason but still valid)

Ok so 4 reasons I can't count what do you expect from some honkie from the hills :)

I've got a LOT of experience with both Glock and XD. None with the XDm. I started life carrying a Glock. Carried it for about 4 years. Did one training course with it. In all my time with it...thousands and thousands of rounds...never a malfunction. I never liked how it felt in my hand though. That backstrap is a pain.

I tried a friend's XD and loved the fit in my hand. So I bought the Service model and the SubCompact. Carried the SC religiously for about 4 years. Trained several gunfighting classes with it. So I moved to the XD. I carried it for about 5 years. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds. A couple of malfunctions when I ran it too dry. The XD platform needs to be kept well lubed. I love the XD, it just needs the lube.

I finally went back to Glock for the following reasons:

Interchangability of parts
Sits lower in my hand
Simpler
NEVER malfunctioned (well, I have some frankenGlocks that have, but that's to be expected when you're building from a bunch of spares) =)
Great availability of used pistols
No silly grip safety and other "features" that no one needs

I just had to invest in custom grip work to make the grip work for me. I've since taken to doing that grip work myself, so that cost has diminished quite a bit. I haven't tried the Gen 4 versions to see how they fit.

Anyway. Both great guns. Slide wear on the Glock was a bit better than on the XD...but who the **** cares about that? Its a tool. Its not like it has to be purty. Looks good a little banged up anyway. =)

I've got a LOT of experience with both Glock and XD. None with the XDm. I started life carrying a Glock. Carried it for about 4 years. Did one training course with it. In all my time with it...thousands and thousands of rounds...never a malfunction. I never liked how it felt in my hand though. That backstrap is a pain.

I tried a friend's XD and loved the fit in my hand. So I bought the Service model and the SubCompact. Carried the SC religiously for about 4 years. Trained several gunfighting classes with it. So I moved to the XD. I carried it for about 5 years. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds. A couple of malfunctions when I ran it too dry. The XD platform needs to be kept well lubed. I love the XD, it just needs the lube.

I finally went back to Glock for the following reasons:

Interchangability of parts
Sits lower in my hand
Simpler
NEVER malfunctioned (well, I have some frankenGlocks that have, but that's to be expected when you're building from a bunch of spares) =)
Great availability of used pistols
No silly grip safety and other "features" that no one needs

I just had to invest in custom grip work to make the grip work for me. I've since taken to doing that grip work myself, so that cost has diminished quite a bit. I haven't tried the Gen 4 versions to see how they fit.

Anyway. Both great guns. Slide wear on the Glock was a bit better than on the XD...but who the **** cares about that? Its a tool. Its not like it has to be purty. Looks good a little banged up anyway. =)

You might try the new generation of Glock with 3 different interchangeable back straps for the grip. One of them should fit you. I have one in the 19, but my Gen 3 23 fits me fine. I will agree we all have different sized hands, different length arms, different length necks, etc. so one gun is going to just fit and feel better, depending on those and other factors.

I like the Glock because the barrel is lower and therefore less kicking upwards. I like it because it's simple. I like it because it goes bang every time even when dry. I like the trigger better, although neither are to be bragged about. As for the barrel, I never shoot lead so that's not an issue for me.

I would have bought the XD when buying my first polymer... but I DETEST pop up chamber indicators.

I also suffer from a combination of big hands, and a specific severe mental defect that invariably lines the back corner of a Glock's slide with the first joint of my thumb. Great guns though if you can hold 'em right. I COULD buy a snap on Beavertail, but that touches on the same hatred of things sticking off of my gun.

I like my M&P .40, just not so much that I have a burning urge to collect more polymer pistols that aren't radically different in design.

And don't knock the Sigma, it's not bad for a gritty little Glock clone... the Slide clears my hand on my wife's gun. :D

I've got both and would recommend either. I thought about the S&W, but don't like that hinged trigger thing. About the higher bore axis on the XDM, I wouldn't really let that deter you on a 9mm. The frame on an XDM is pretty large and heavy enough it's really NOT an issue. I've also got an XDSC in 9mm and even that isn't any less manageable than my old G26. Although the XDSC in .40 was a little too "flippy" for my liking. One "advantage" of the higher bore axis, is that you get an extra couple rounds in a comparably sized grip.

If I were choosing a new gun today, I'd go with the XDM mostly because of the 3 extra mag and mag holster offer. If you are looking at used guns, buy whichever you find a better deal on, if you like the feel of both.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top