JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone ever see this issue?
I've owned many XD45's and have never had a similar issue.
I looked on youtube, and there are a couple of suggestions, but with a live round in the chamber, I'm very cautious.

The pistol is a 4" Service model with both grip and thumb safeties. The slide is all the way forward. I dropped the loaded magazine with no issue, and then couldn't cycle the slide to eject the round. The gun was loaded and placed in the safe some time ago (couple of months). Safe has a dehumidifier, and everything is clean and dry.

Assuming I end up taking this to someone, can anyone recommend a gun smith?
I live West of McMinnville, so Salem, McMinnville, Dundee, Newberg, Tigard and Tualatin are all reasonably close.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ive had a similar issue caused by the recoil rod assembly (different pistol)
Had to wack the slide until it opened.

However I didnt have a live round in mine.. :eek:

Best of luck!

Had one lock up on me like this once. Guide rod got sideways.

I ended up going against my bench and pressed the top of the slide against the bottom of the lip and used my body weight to rack the slide. Made sure I had thumb safety pressed all the way.

IMG_2564.JPG

Is there any chance that there is a barrel obstruction? Because if the slide is fully in battery, what would be the worst that could happen if you fired the weapon (obviously in a safe location/direction)?

Is there any chance that there is a barrel obstruction? Because if the slide is fully in battery, what would be the worst that could happen if you fired the weapon (obviously in a safe location/direction)?

And yes, I realize this is less than ideal. But so is working on a gun with a live round in the chamber. Which is the less dangerous option here?

Thanks everyone. Definitely not a barrel obstruction.
I personally unloaded, disassembled, and reassembled it last time it was out of the safe.
Youtube also says that it's likely a guide rod out of alignment.

Had one lock up on me like this once. Guide rod got sideways.

I ended up going against my bench and pressed the top of the slide against the bottom of the lip and used my body weight to rack the slide. Made sure I had thumb safety pressed all the way.

View attachment 350806

So Dyjital - when you did this, the thumb safety was on or off? Engaged thumb safety on this weapon means the slide will not cycle. Thanks.

I had something similar happen with a Glock once. Exact same issue as in post #4 above - guide rod got out of whack when I had reassembled it. I used a similar method to break the slide loose as noted in post #4. Just be careful/safe if you try it.

I had something similar happen with a Glock once. Exact same issue as in post #4 above - guide rod got out of whack when I had reassembled it. I used a similar method to break the slide loose as noted in post #4. Just be careful/safe if you try it.

Thanks etrain. I'll try that approach before I think about firing it.

So Dyjital - when you did this, the thumb safety was on or off? Engaged thumb safety on this weapon means the slide will not cycle. Thanks.
Engaged = pushed down.
Disengaged = hand off.

How my mind thinks of it. I guess I think of it reversed.

With a live round in it I would try dijital's method out side,not in my shop. Never know where the round may go or if someone might walk by while you're in side.
Personally,I would fire the round off. It shouldn't do more than kick harder if the slide doesn't move. Can't see it breaking anything.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews