JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would also fire the round, then use method in post #4 if it doesn't eject.

And then I would sell the gun because having a gun that jams is useless to me.

Happening even once is too much. Cause what if you needed that firearm to save your life and you can't chamber a round because the slide is jammed? Failure like that could mean your life or a loved ones life.

With a live round in it I would try dijital's method out side,not in my shop. Never know where the round may go or if someone might walk by while you're in side.
Personally,I would fire the round off. It shouldn't do more than kick harder if the slide doesn't move. Can't see it breaking anything.

Thanks MJB - Definitely outside, muzzle pointed at the dirt, eye and ear protection on.

I would also fire the round, then use method in post #4 if it doesn't eject.

And then I would sell the gun because having a gun that jams is useless to me.

Happening even once is too much. Cause what if you needed that firearm to save your life and you can't chamber a round because the slide is jammed? Failure like that could mean your life or a loved ones life.

True, but it depends on what caused the problem. In the case of when it happened to me, it was my mistake, user error, when I reassembled the gun and got the guide rod/recoil spring all wonky. Nothing at all wrong with the gun itself. I'd withhold dumping the gun pending what is found to be the issue after the gun is cleared.

True, but it depends on what caused the problem. In the case of when it happened to me, it was my mistake, user error, when I reassembled the gun and got the guide rod/recoil spring all wonky. Nothing at all wrong with the gun itself. I'd withhold dumping the gun pending what is found to be the issue after the gun is cleared.

But if that were the case: that would mean he did not check for proper slide function prior to loading the weapon. And that would be a very poorly designed firearm to allow for the slide to come back, chamber a round, and go forward and then at that point have the guide rod fall out of place.

But if that were the case: that would mean he did not check for proper slide function prior to loading the weapon. And that would be a very poorly designed firearm to allow for the slide to come back, chamber a round, and go forward and then at that point have the guide rod fall out of place.

Exactly. I did cycle the gun after reassembly and prior to loading and placing in the safe. These questions are why I am so cautious in clearing the round. I really appreciate all the input here.

I think if I found that this was a problem that existed too easily the gun would go down the road.
But that's kinda true with all the guns I've owned:rolleyes:
But seriously,if it happened again it might be sooner than later. The gun should be designed that it all goes together easily. It shouldn't have a way to fuddle up the guide rod

Anyone ever see this issue?
I've owned many XD45's and have never had a similar issue.
I looked on youtube, and there are a couple of suggestions, but with a live round in the chamber, I'm very cautious.

The pistol is a 4" Service model with both grip and thumb safeties. The slide is all the way forward. I dropped the loaded magazine with no issue, and then couldn't cycle the slide to eject the round. The gun was loaded and placed in the safe some time ago (couple of months). Safe has a dehumidifier, and everything is clean and dry.

Assuming I end up taking this to someone, can anyone recommend a gun smith?
I live West of McMinnville, so Salem, McMinnville, Dundee, Newberg, Tigard and Tualatin are all reasonably close.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Were you able to fix?

Is your guide rod flush or does it stick out proud? If so its the guide rod. This happens when XD are incorrectly assembled after field stripping. If you do not know what to look for after reassemble, guide rod is proud, racking the slide will lock it up. Its a known issue with XD, If assemble correctly never will happen. You have to pull the guide rod out, I know its loaded, needle nose pliers under the guide rod, pull it out and let it reset itself. Lesson learned, rack slide several times unloaded before loading it hot. Hope this helps.

Shooting it it is probably the easiest route.

If you can't get it to a range.

Go to the depot and get a big bucket and some rubber mulch as well as a bike tire then fill the bucket with the mulch, cut a whole in the lid, makeshift a flap insert with the bike tire. Insert muzzle and discharge the gun. Best if done in the garage with hearing protection on. Though if done right not all that loud.

My thinking is the round had an oversized case length causing it to get stuck in full battery.

Then you don't get a gun? They're man made, stuff can happen. Even guns known for reliability can fail. Issues can be caused by any number of variables. Bad magazine, really bad ammo, a defective part from factory (this is where customer service is key IMO), user error, some other thing.

If my failing memory is right, this only happens on the 45. Not to say you cannot assemble your XD correctly, its a known guide rod alignment issue. Its easy to do during reassembly, even happened to SA employees at first. When the 45s came to market, this was a regularity in gun shops and put many into a panic, its a simple fix. I did it on my first XD back in 2006, I have 3 XDs with countless rounds down range and only ever had 1 failure to feed, improper case length and the round would not feed on any 45. XD have passed, in fact doubled the round count of the infamous Glock torture test.

Sorry to have kept everyone in suspense for so long.
I took the gun to a gunsmith I met at the AR-15 class a couple of weeks ago.

When he got into it, he found the chambered round had corroded (likely due to excessive solvent. The corrosion was preventing the slide from cycling.

I checked all of my other guns for the same problem, and did find one that was just beginning to corrode.

The solution is to remove as much solvent as possible with lathes, and then wipe clean with denatured alcohol.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads