JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooting Sage Rats this weekend and my brother was using my CZ 453 Varmint. He had opened several boxes from various manufacturers and all worked fine sans that Hornady. Of course, I don't have the lot number only a handful of worthless ammo. This rifle shoots all brands equally well. I have more and will plunk test it tomorrow. Has anyone else had issues with this ammo?

I have shot 15k+ rounds of 17 HMR through two guns, a Savage and a Marlin, both bolt action. I have never had a round that would not chamber. Mostly Hornady ammo with Winchester and CCI as well. I will get extraction issues with the Marlin when dirty as that gun went to Texas for a blueprinting and thread in to receiver job then it got the chamber to a match size. The tight chamber fouls out easily now. The stock Savage has never hiccuped yet.

High mileage 17's will start light striking as the bolt face will dish out.

I would guess a bad batch of ammo unless the rounds chamber in another firearm.

I was just shooting the shut with some guys at the range about 17hmr.

How when the tooling was all brand spanking new 15 or so years ago that stuff was laser beams out to 300 yards.

Not anymore!

Current stuff must be chugging along on dated machines that likely need some R&R as the quality has dropped substantially.

Not that I don't still love the cartridge and have a Tikka, hopefully, arriving sooner than later!

Hornady is the only brand of ammo I run through my .17 and I have never had an issue.

I shoot 17 through three Rugers and have had just one problem since the round was introduced. My 77/17 has been flawless... love that rifle. The newer Precision Rimfire 17 has been a great gun so far, but fewer rounds down range. I have a Ruger 10/22 magnum I swap a 17hmr Butler Creek barrel on to and it makes for great fast followup on rats. Once I had a Hornady round detonate in the 10/22mag as it was chambering in firing sequence. I'm here to tell you... it was violent...
The shell case split neck to base, blew out the left, off side extractor (really just an assist) and cracked a nice Boyds baracuda stock at the wrist. No injury, but shocked the hell out of me. After replacing the extractor, spring and pin I put the rifle back to original 22mag configuration, ran a box of shells through it successfully and have just left it alone.
Thinking I'd stay in the semi-auto 17hmr field I picked up a Savage A17. It shoots well, until the barrel heats up. I miss the heavy Butler Creek bull barrel. May have to build that up again.....

The only .17 HMR ammo I have had problems with is Winchester Supreme. Lots of misfires in our Savage rifles, and the 20 gr HP ammo didn't group well. But, our last outing I used the Winchester 17 gr V-Max ammo exclusively in my CZ and had 100% reliability. Maybe the Savage rifles have something to do with the Winchester ammo performing so poorly in the past.

I had to have 3 bricks of Hornady 17 HMR replaced because about 20% of them had case cracks and some that didn't cracked during firing. But cracked or not they all chambered.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews