JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is the Winchester WSF Ball Powder that's also labeled "Shotshell" recommended for 9mm reloading? The jar says it's OK for a "wide range of handgun loads" but I just wanted people's opinion. I just wasn't sure if this powder is best for shotgun reloading since it says shotshell and only so-so for 9mm. Thanks in advance for your answers.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I intend to find out as I picked up a jar about a week or two ago. According to the Hodgdon load data it'll do a 124gr 9mm just fine. Max load is 5.3 gr and delivers 1115 FPS if I recall correctly.

I'd use it in 9mm, several shotgun powders are suitable for 9mm and .40. I like to use a little slower powder in the smaller cases, gives a little more range of loads. My preferred powder for 9mm and .40 is HS-6, another shotshell powder that's been more available than a lot of others.

HS 6 is a GREAT major 9 powder. Dirty but dot tracks good.

I didn't think it was that dirty, unless you were using it in .38 or .45acp. Large cases mean un-burnt powder. Then I've only been rolling my own for a little over four years. :s0092:

8.2 in a 9mm at 1360fps. Dirty compared to others .

That's an awfully powerful load and up to a full grain OVER what my books say. Unless you were referring to .40 S&W rather than 9 X 19?

I'd hate to see a new hand loader taking that recipe as gospel and blowing up a gun, or worse.

That's an awfully powerful load and up to a full grain OVER what my books say. Unless you were referring to .40 S&W rather than 9 X 19?

I'd hate to see a new hand loader taking that recipe as gospel and blowing up a gun, or worse.

It's a major 9 load I run.

In this

IMAG1233.jpg

IMAG1233.jpg

Thank you for all your replies. I know that I can look to see if this powder is suitable, but as a beginner, it's important for me to get experienced people's preferences. I'm always grateful for all your replies.

I got my first bottle of WSF a few weeks ago. I wanted to try it with some 147 grn plated Xtremes that I picked up (along with some 180 grn 10mm) during the Black Friday sale last fall.

I loaded some of the 147's with WST, WSF, and W231 in groups of 5 of various weights. I took the best load with each powder and loaded 10 each of those.
From my P226, 3.6 grn W231 was the most accurate.
I did not load any 115's or 124's but I do plan to try WSF with these bullet weights at point in the future.

I did the same thing with the 180 grn 10mm (.40).
From my 2340, 5.9 grns WSF was the most accurate load.
I did not load any 165's but since I already have a load using W231 I will try some WSF just to see if I can improve on it.

Some of the shotgun powders are routinely used for pistol powders. If you search for 9mm Reloading Data you will find loads using WST, WSF, Clay's, Longshot, and 800-X.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top