JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope this hasn't already been posted..

Three articles of the same story about an off duty police officer that was hugged from behind by a woman he didn't know. The article states that he was carrying a department issued .40 Smith and Wesson semi automatic (I assume an M&P, but that's just my assumption) in an IWB holster. The articles state that the hug caused the gun to discharge hitting her in the lung and the heart and she died later at the hospital.

<broken link removed>

Police: Hug Triggers Officer's Gun, Kills Woman - ABC News

<broken link removed>

My question is... how does a gun at waist level shoot someone in the lung and heart?

"Freak-accidents" do happen, when there's 7,000,000,000 people on a planet and 300,000,000 in your country alone. Sometimes weird bubblegum will happen.

If it was truly just a freak-accident, I hope the officer suffers no penalty.

People still live in Detroit? 20tkoi1.jpg

Makes wonder what type of holster this guy had...All my IWB holster have always covered the trigger. Something seems just a bit off (facts not given in the story or the fact were not given to the reporter). With a decent holster I can't see how this could happen (a hug given from behind, and the 'hugger' shot in the chest with a holster pistol in the waist that should be pointing down). Hopefully more facts will be forthcoming.

There is a picture in my mind of how she could have been shot in the chest by a gun in an IWB...but my post will probably get deleted if I describe that picture in any detail. Use your imagination and it becomes pretty obvious. It happened at a "party"....the victim was a female....you can fill in the blanks from there......

officer was dancing with his wife when the victim hugged him from behind, no wait, from in front, no it was behind... something isn't right with this report - could be the reporter didn't get all the facts or maybe the wife didn't approve of her rubbin up on her husband...

Herself wanted to know if the deceased was a midget, maybe?

You know, strange stuff happens sometimes. I assisted an autopsy once, where the driver was making a left hand turn, and fell out of the jeep (M151A2). The jeep made a complete circle before the other three guys in the jeep could stop it, and it ran over the driver. [That was their story, and they stuck to it...until the autopsy evidence didn't agree with their fable.]

Makes you wonder if there was any gun shot residue on anyone's hands...

How about a shoulder holster.
Place the victim behind the man, reach around man and as she gives a hug, accidentally fingers the trigger.
Bullet is fired in a down and back trajectory, entering her lung and lodging in the heart.

"Woman killed at party after off-duty Detroit police officer's gun discharges"

OK, so what killed her? She was killed after the gun went off. Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves with local news stations. They've picked up this annoying habit (among others) of misusing prepositions. "A man was killed after falling from a 10 story building"...so again, what killed him? Surely not the fall. If so it would read "A man was killed when he fell from a 10 story building." It's like fingernails on a chalkboard with me.

Other annoying usages include...

"...take a new tact..." It's "TACK" like in sailing!

or the ever stylish "...hone in on [something]." It's "HOME"! You "HONE" a razor, or you "HOME" in.

Sheeeesh!!!!

OK I got this figured out after thinking about it today.

The cop and the woman were Jive dancing and when she passed through his legs or was wrapped around his *** in a move the pistol discharged and hit her in the chest.

Not proud of this, but I dropped my loaded Glock 27 down my interior carpeted stairs last month. It was in a Don Hume IWB holster with retention strap. It bounced down 15 +/- stairs and slammed into the wall. Know what happened? Nothing.
These guns don't go BANG unless you pull the trigger. I bet they can't recreate this one.

Not proud of this, but I dropped my loaded Glock 27 down my interior carpeted stairs last month. It was in a Don Hume IWB holster with retention strap. It bounced down 15 +/- stairs and slammed into the wall. Know what happened? Nothing.
These guns don't go BANG unless you pull the trigger. I bet they can't recreate this one.

Curious how did the holster came off your belt? Not a critizism just trying to figure this out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top