JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Woman killed at party after off-duty Detroit police officer's gun discharges"

OK, so what killed her? She was killed after the gun went off. Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves with local news stations. They've picked up this annoying habit (among others) of misusing prepositions. "A man was killed after falling from a 10 story building"...so again, what killed him? Surely not the fall. If so it would read "A man was killed when he fell from a 10 story building." It's like fingernails on a chalkboard with me.

Other annoying usages include...

"...take a new tact..." It's "TACK" like in sailing!

or the ever stylish "...hone in on [something]." It's "HOME"! You "HONE" a razor, or you "HOME" in.

Sheeeesh!!!!

What drive my nutty is "he should OF known it" instead of "he should HAVE known it".
I mean come on and just look at the phrase and see if it makes sense.

Not proud of this, but I dropped my loaded Glock 27 down my interior carpeted stairs last month. It was in a Don Hume IWB holster with retention strap. It bounced down 15 +/- stairs and slammed into the wall. Know what happened? Nothing.
These guns don't go BANG unless you pull the trigger. I bet they can't recreate this one.

What part are you not proud of? Dropping your gun or owning a Glock?!:s0112:

"Woman killed at party after off-duty Detroit police officer's gun discharges"

OK, so what killed her? She was killed after the gun went off. Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves with local news stations. They've picked up this annoying habit (among others) of misusing prepositions. "A man was killed after falling from a 10 story building"...so again, what killed him? Surely not the fall. If so it would read "A man was killed when he fell from a 10 story building." It's like fingernails on a chalkboard with me.

Other annoying usages include...

"...take a new tact..." It's "TACK" like in sailing!

or the ever stylish "...hone in on [something]." It's "HOME"! You "HONE" a razor, or you "HOME" in.

Sheeeesh!!!!

Eye sea watt ewe mien.

Ummm if he's off duty , why does he have one in the pipe? .....just me . Moral of this story is dont cary a loaded "one in the pipe" gun around if you are going to be careless.

Ummm if he's off duty , why does he have one in the pipe? .....just me . Moral of this story is dont cary a loaded "one in the pipe" gun around if you are going to be careless.

If you're going to be careless, don't even have a gun around. There's a lot if people including myself that believe if you're going to carry a gun, there should be "one in the pipe".

Not sure if this was carelessness or something more malicious. Something just seems fishy.

People still live in Detroit? 20tkoi1.jpg

Yes but they are dying to get out.

If you're going to be careless, don't even have a gun around. There's a lot if people including myself that believe if you're going to carry a gun, there should be "one in the pipe".

Not sure if this was carelessness or something more malicious. Something just seems fishy.
ive carried for over 15 years now concealed, and never had to keep one hot, and have had to draw it countless times. And in all those situations haveing one hot wouldn't have made any difference in outcome of those situations. Ive been there.

Don't carry period if you can't keep control of the bang switch. Racking the slide and firing is a two handed affair and lots of bad guys like to get up close and personal very quickly if you have something they think they want.
Maybe you'll be lucky and have a bad guy that keeps his distance, although that might make things a little more difficult for your defense attorney if he didn't have a gun too.

ive carried for over 15 years now concealed, and never had to keep one hot, and have had to draw it countless times. And in all those situations haveing one hot wouldn't have made any difference in outcome of those situations. Ive been there.

You've had to draw your CCW "countless" times? Good grief, what are you doing or where do you live that it's necessary to draw so frequently? I've carried for 7 years and put my hand on it once or twice (as a precaution)...never had to draw it.

With that said, after a month of carrying without one in the pipe - I went "hot." Racking the slide in the middle of a robbery or assault isn't going to happen. You simply can't predict if you'll have time or the physical ability.

Even if this isn't a hot, steamy pile of poodoo, you should know it'll sound like it and not make such statements.

At least two people in Detroit have two brain cells to rub together:
Ector said that if properly holstered, the gun cannot be fire accidentally.

But Godbee said Parrish's waist holster was made of a soft material, and it would be possible for the trigger to be pulled while the gun was in it. He said the barrel direction typically would have been pointing down while holstered.

The gun's angle also is at question, according to a former Michigan State Police firearms examiner.

"What's going to be very important here is the angle of the entry of the wound to the victim [and] if there is in fact any gunpowder residue," Balash said. "I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding how a weapon that's pointed at the ground can be turned literally 100 degrees minimum to be in an upward position to strike someone."
Article: <broken link removed>

I've said this a zillion times:
Don't believe ANYTHING you read in the papers, the reporters are not capable of telling the truth.

After 4 years working in journalism, I have to agree.... that many reporters are frustrated creative writers, plus their post-modern educations, makes the distinction between fact and fiction blurry at best or more likely, irrelevant to them.

I expected to hear a whole host of misinformation, rumors, conspiracy theories, etc. on the national news sites, but was surprised to see some of it here as well. It's just that I expected a group of people with a high level of interest in guns to be a little better informed. Not to be... Anyway, a few corrections:

1) According to a statement by a representative from the police union (who did an initial interview with the officer), the officer was dancing with his wife when he was approached from behind by the deceased, who proceeded to aggressively hug him (intoxication was heavily implied) and, in the process, yanked on his belt, holster and, ultimately, trigger, causing the accidental discharge.

2) A statement by the local police chief already established that the officer's holster was of a type that allowed full access to the trigger while the gun was holstered.

3) Department policy in the officer's precinct is (unlike many which require full-time carry) to allow the officer a choice as to whether or not to carry. The officer was acting according to proper procedure.

4) Department policy (as in typical across the U.S.) requires the officer to keep one in the chamber at all times. These are cops in high crime districts folks, not suburban weekend shooters just having fun! Again, the officer was acting in accordance with his department's policies.

5) This was, according to all official statements to date, a tragic accident. ONLY the deceased's mother, who is understandably distraught, has suggested that there might be some other "explanation".

6) There are many possible ways to account for an angle of fire which could result in death. For example, it's clear from the initial investigation that the girl, presumably accidentally, had pushed/pulled/moved the gun during the incident. Regardless of the initial angle of the gun/holster at rest, as it was being moved during the incident it could have been repositioned to a variety of different angles. It is also quite possible that the girl was substantially shorter than the officer, or that she was shot in a vital organ or blood vessel in the lower half of her body, causing a bleedout. Regardless, one does not need to resort to conspiracy theories in order to imagine many potentially lethal combinations. Again, there have been NO official statements by any investigative body as to the angles involved, what portion of the the girl's body took the impact, and what the ultimate cause of death might have been. We can well imagine that she bled out, but an organ failure would result in death just as easily.

Overall, a sad and tragic event. And certainly there's no need for anyone to spread rumors, misinformation and other ignorance.

You've had to draw your CCW "countless" times? Good grief, what are you doing or where do you live that it's necessary to draw so frequently? I've carried for 7 years and put my hand on it once or twice (as a precaution)...never had to draw it.

With that said, after a month of carrying without one in the pipe - I went "hot." Racking the slide in the middle of a robbery or assault isn't going to happen. You simply can't predict if you'll have time or the physical ability.

it was the line of work Id been in.

Two things you cannot afford when you are carrying and are my own opinion.

Alcohol and a Temper

I know. When I first started carrying a friend of mine said 'no one can mess with you now.' I nicely explained that when carrying you have to go even farther to avoid a physical conflict. If you have to play the coward, fine. Sort of sucks LOL.

If I ever feel the need to fight someone - agreed mutual combat I believe is the legal term - I would ask to be excused while I go disarm first hahaha. Gun, backup, knife, flashlight, Kimber pepper, in trunk now, close trunk, lock, check. Geezer fight!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top