JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some of you may remember that I was trying to build an AR with used parts with as little out of pocket as possible (link below but seems like a boring read now).

Bargain Basement Budget AR-15 Build - Documenting my progress

Anyway, the project got me so frustrated that after tinkering with it for awhile I pretty much gave up on it as a lost cause. Pic below:

IMG_2623.JPG

I never got it to a simi-auto (it wouldn't cycle so it was an awkward single shot), had a huge quad rail on it among other things (light primer strikes, rattle canned stock and a 21 year old optic etc) and then I had my one and only bad experience at my range with it.

So I fired 5 rounds from it and packed up, went home, stuck it in a bag and forgot about it as it was very overwhelming after all of the little stuff built up. For the last few years it has been an expensive pile of junk that I preferred not to think about if possible.

Now a few years later and some very good friends decided that it was more then time for me to join the rest of the world and have a working AR15 in 5.56.

Between them they pieced together and created a very elegant and nice running/shooting rifle for me. In fact it feels like version 2.0 and only slightly resembles what it started out as.

It's even sporting the Northwest Firearms lower that came into my possession when they were first available a couple years ago.

I never really finished my build thread so this is pretty much the final evolution for this rifle (except to save up and get a good trigger in it) and I thought I owed it to those that helped me get it here a public Thank-You! Cuz on my own it would still be a POS that resembled a rifle.

As well as a huge Thank-You to those that gave me smoking deals on parts, just gifted me parts and those that spent their time and expertise assembling it for me.

Y'all know who you are and I couldn't ask for better friends or shooting partners.

So here she is (name to be detirmined still but since it was first fired the day Gunny past away, I'd like to find something fitting to remember him by suggestions are welcome - but I digress):

IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2620.JPG

I know AR's for most people are a dime a dozen and they have one for every day of the month but this one will be with me forever, I can always build more as finances allow. However, this one will stay as is (with the exception of a better then stock trigger).

And no it is not a sub MOA rifle but it'll take an apple off the top of a watermelon at 100 yards with no problem:cool:.

Very nice Joe. :) With some match grade ammo and a better trigger I bet it
will shoot close to 1 MOA or better. I have assembled over a dozen different uppers.
Never had any feeding or accuracy problems. Different manufacture of barrels and uppers.
Every new barrel head spaced correctly. :oops: Maybe just pure dumb luck?? I don't
know. Example I purchased a DPMS stripped A2 upper from Midway. I installed a 20 inch
H-Bar with pinned front sight from Bushmaster. I was amazed that the assembly
zeroed on target with the A2 rear sight dead center on windage!:p

Some of you may remember that I was trying to build an AR with used parts with as little out of pocket as possible (link below but seems like a boring read now).

Bargain Basement Budget AR-15 Build - Documenting my progress

Anyway, the project got me so frustrated that after tinkering with it for awhile I pretty much gave up on it as a lost cause. Pic below:

View attachment 451228

I never got it to a simi-auto (it wouldn't cycle so it was an awkward single shot), had a huge quad rail on it among other things (light primer strikes, rattle canned stock and a 21 year old optic etc) and then I had my one and only bad experience at my range with it.

So I fired 5 rounds from it and packed up, went home, stuck it in a bag and forgot about it as it was very overwhelming after all of the little stuff built up. For the last few years it has been an expensive pile of junk that I preferred not to think about if possible.

Now a few years later and some very good friends decided that it was more then time for me to join the rest of the world and have a working AR15 in 5.56.

Between them they pieced together and created a very elegant and nice running/shooting rifle for me. In fact it feels like version 2.0 and only slightly resembles what it started out as.

It's even sporting the Northwest Firearms lower that came into my possession when they were first available a couple years ago.

I never really finished my build thread so this is pretty much the final evolution for this rifle (except to save up and get a good trigger in it) and I thought I owed it to those that helped me get it here a public Thank-You! Cuz on my own it would still be a POS that resembled a rifle.

As well as a huge Thank-You to those that gave me smoking deals on parts, just gifted me parts and those that spent their time and expertise assembling it for me.

Y'all know who you are and I couldn't ask for better friends or shooting partners.

So here she is (name to be detirmined still but since it was first fired the day Gunny past away, I'd like to find something fitting to remember him by suggestions are welcome - but I digress):

View attachment 451226 View attachment 451227

I know AR's for most people are a dime a dozen and they have one for every day of the month but this one will be with me forever, I can always build more as finances allow. However, this one will stay as is (with the exception of a better then stock trigger).

And no it is not a sub MOA rifle but it'll take an apple off the top of a watermelon at 100 yards with no problem:cool:.
Sexy!

Nothing wrong with just naming it: ."Gunny". Or is that too obvious?

So far that's at the top of my list:D

Hey Joe, you said it WAS an expensive "pile" of junk.... in honor of the Gunny, name it "Pvt. Pyle".

Transformed from a useless chewed up wad of bubblegum that looked like a modern art piece into a shooter! ;)

I'm torn about that one - while fitting, do I really want a rifle named pvt pile:rolleyes:

An no I dont name all of my guns, only the elite get names. The rest are grouse gun, clay gun etc ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top