JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sometime soon I am going to be selling my Winchester Model 94, it was built in 1967. I just want some input on what price I should put it at.

I am the second owner, it was given to me buy a family friend (original owner) many years ago who is older and no longer wanted it. He never really used it much, just hunted with it a few times in 60's-70's. It was not abused but was never maintained, he just kept it in the back of a closet.

It had some very very light rust on it, I am talking about where you can't see the rust on it but when you wipe it with an oily rag you could see some on the rag.

The biggest flaw it has is that on the butt of the stock it had some water damage to the wood and the butt plate I removed and sanded down the stock and forearm. Unfortunately the water mark in the wood wouldn't sand out, I wanted something different than the reddish color so I stained it a dark walnut and put several coats of clear on it.

Instead of trying to reblue the butt plate I painted it gloss black.

I consider the bluing to be very good, it is very dark and shiny!

It is missing the front sight hood.

I have put maybe 40 rounds through it and it functions flawlessly.

The only reason I want to sell it is because I don't care for blued guns, I want to get a Marlin 336ss.

What kind of price should I put on it?

Well, considering you've redone the stock I'm assuming the butt stock and the forearm don't match, rusty metal, and a painted butt plate, I'm assuming your price may be somewhere around $300. But I believe you will need to post a picture before anyone can get serious about it. What would you honestly consider paying for it? I certainly don't mean to offend you here, but without a pic it's a guess. And asking price and selling price are rarely the same. $300 might not be enough and it might be too much, you know?

Well, considering you've redone the stock I'm assuming the butt stock and the forearm don't match, rusty metal, and a painted butt plate, I'm assuming your price may be somewhere around $300. But I believe you will need to post a picture before anyone can get serious about it. What would you honestly consider paying for it? I certainly don't mean to offend you here, but without a pic it's a guess. And asking price and selling price are rarely the same. $300 might not be enough and it might be too much, you know?

I completely sanded, stained and clear coated all the wood parts. The butt plate was not horribly rusted. I removed all rust from it and decided on paint over bluing as I did not think a at home bluing job would look as good.

IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1935.JPG

Here are some pics of it. You can see the water stain on the stock, the original owner could not remember or figure out how it happened. It was not stored anywhere where there would be water.

It is weird because the butt plate was was not rusted bad at all.

My favorite word... ubiquitous... everywhere
Model 94s are ubiquitous. One customer from the store in Sequim had 27!!! 30-30s. Not lever guns... 30-30s
Anyway,if it 100% original and no wear marks,maybe $500 range. Maybe a little more if there is something unique.
For the most part they are around the 400 dollar range.
I would guess my dads 1947 model would bring 450 if I was lucky.
I wouldn't let it go for ten times that much but you get the point.
They sell good but don't bring a big price unless it's something special.
And the "collector" "commemorative" models don't sell well at all.
Everyone wants too much for them and no one wants to use them cause they're too pretty

Here are some pics of it. You can see the water stain on the stock, the original owner could not remember or figure out how it happened. It was not stored anywhere where there would be water.

It is weird because the butt plate was was not rusted bad at all.

The staining difference between the right and left side make me remember the similar staining on a Garand stock after one of my kid's cats peed on it. Did the previous owner ever own any cats? You did a good job on the wood from the pics.

The staining difference between the right and left side make me remember the similar staining on a Garand stock after one of my kid's cats peed on it. Did the previous owner ever own any cats? You did a good job on the wood from the pics.

No, he never had any cats or dogs. But that does make sense. Could have happened on a hunting trip maybe.

It's unfortunate about the water stain. I see that a lot here on the coast. Refinishing [almost] always reduces the retail value, as does painting the butt plate (however you'd be surprised how much paint is used these days).

Assuming the bore is bright and shiny and the action is smooth, the current Blue Book of Gun Values puts the retail value of an 80% gun at $200 and a 90% gun at $300 for post '64 Model 94's. Since it's a post '64 it has no value to collectors; therefore, I price it at $300 for a shooter, and maybe have to come down to $250-260 to get it sold. You just have to wait for the right person to come along that doesn't mind the refinish. Good luck!

IMHO. $230-260. Post 64, all of the refinish work, dis colored stock, front sight. Find somebody looking for a good brush gun.

I get where you're coming from with the brush gun, it's just the bluing is so nice on it. If I could find an original stock for a good price it would be a pretty damn nice gun

Last Edited:
I know I am not looking at a gold mine here or anything. I just wanted to make sure that I don't list it to low and rip myself off or list it to high and look like an idiot. I just want what is fair for both parties.

Pricing can also be affected by where you live or sell the rifle.
Where I live it seems that many of the "gun guys" are very very cheap.
These guys all want a whole lotta something and paying next to nothing for it.

I agree on the asking price of $300 and being happy to get $225 or more.
In trade value you might get $100 to $150. ( at a retail store...)
Again this is pricing where I live , it might be better or worse where you are.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads