JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This pic just screams for a caption...
I don't know what the caption would be, but I'm pretty sure he's making one up in this photo

1A6F3A13-B28E-4563-BFA0-0D721DE8C325.jpeg

Spring is officially here! First baby hummingbird flight of the year in the yard today. I only saw one baby so not sure if she only had 1. Normally there is 2 per nest. My guess is the other one will leave the nest tomorrow. Its pretty hilarious watching them try to balance, 1 million wing beats but nothing actually happens. :p
small-6.jpg
small-2.jpg
small-4.jpg
small-3.jpg
small-5.jpg

Spring is officially here! First baby hummingbird flight of the year in the yard today. I only saw one baby so not sure if she only had 1. Normally there is 2 per nest. My guess is the other one will leave the nest tomorrow. Its pretty hilarious watching them try to balance, 1 million wing beats but nothing actually happens. :p
View attachment 1163396
View attachment 1163392
View attachment 1163394
View attachment 1163393
View attachment 1163395
OH MAN! You lucky DOG you! Never seen a baby humming bird. We have a pair in the back and one in front. Two feeders had to be separated. He's a ratty looking little guy.

Last year I was able to watch the TWO baby downy woodpeckers. They were in the tree near the suet cake at the same time. Mamma feeding one from the inside of the suet cage while the baby male was on top. The young downy males have a dark reddish haze all across and down the back of their heads.

OH MAN! You lucky DOG you! Never seen a baby humming bird. We have a pair in the back and one in front. Two feeders had to be separated. He's a ratty looking little guy.

Last year I was able to watch the TWO baby downy woodpeckers. They were in the tree near the suet cake at the same time. Mamma feeding one from the inside of the suet cage while the baby male was on top. The young downy males have a dark reddish haze all across and down the back of their heads.
I'm not sure if it's the same mother or not but for the last 2 years she has made 3 nests per year. 6 babies 2 years ago but I'm not sure how many last year cuz I couldn't find the nests (found 3 on the ground later in the year though). Somewhere on my hard drive I have video of first flight from a nest but it's pretty crappy quality as I recall.

I'm not sure if it's the same mother or not but for the last 2 years she has made 3 nests per year. 6 babies 2 years ago but I'm not sure how many last year cuz I couldn't find the nests (found 3 on the ground later in the year though). Somewhere on my hard drive I have video of first flight from a nest but it's pretty crappy quality as I recall.
I'm into the birds for around $60.00 a month. We have a pair of scrub Jays that have been with us for four years. I figure it's the female, comes to hand for peanuts. She'll go window to window to get our attention. i have no idea where the humming birds nest. But if I'm out of nectar in one of the feeders the little guy will go as far as smack the window when I'm sitting here at the computer at first light. To let me know about it.
I feed thistle, fine sunflower chips, suet and millet. I love the junco's. Always a sad time when they head for the hills....any day now. But a special day when they come back.

Mikej,

I stopped buying nectar a while ago.
I just pour about 4-6 teaspoons of sugar into a feeder filled with tap water.
Birds don't seem to mind.

My wife makes her own hummingbird food. Sugar and water heated on the stove, cooled, feeders filled.
OMG! People BUY sugar water? the going rate is Sugar to water 1/4 cup/1 cup. when it's really cold it can be increased 25%-30%. The increase also lowers it's freeze rate. There's no need to boil it. And should be no need to even mention the "Red" dyed crap. :rolleyes:
Been feeding these little rotters for 20 years. Had some mean ones and some real sweethearts! :D

My wife makes her own hummingbird food. Sugar and water heated on the stove, cooled, feeders filled.
Sounds like a simple syrup that you could also use for making cocktails. Always thinkin'.. :)

I've seen more destruction done that I can count and it all started with feeding wildlife and feeding birds! Only ones I feed are the humming birds. The rest are on there own where I live!
It was cute to feed the deer until I couldn't walk across the yard without finding land mines...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top