JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else finding morels yet? Our spring is definitely late but I found a pile yesterday. Headed back out Monday to get more for dinner. Any tips on preserving the besides drying? 20230422_141759.jpg

Anyone else finding morels yet? Our spring is definitely late but I found a pile yesterday. Headed back out Monday to get more for dinner. Any tips on preserving the besides drying?View attachment 1410181
Haven't been out yet but have never found anywhere around woodburn area. I have found them along 84 and over by ukiah in the past. Born and raised in northern Wisconsin and really miss my honey holes. We would flash fry them (flour salt pepper in a bag then fry in butter) then freeze on cookie sheets and vacuum seal. I could/can eat them til I can't eat no more. Currently working in prineville and see some good looking spots above Idanha going to try to stop on my way back Thursday

The only place I really find them in the valley and foothills is in clear-cuts almost a year old that have had the slash piles burned. I know some folks find in the river. South facing slope helps!

Ive always wanted to find morels but never see them. I dont want anyones spots but is there a region in Oregon they prefer or dont grow... such as the coast range vs cascades or central Oregon etc. ?

found a crop right in our front yard a week or so ago, we had taken out a laurel hedge last summer and they were growing there. we had never seen any there before, we picked about 3 pounds! one of them as big as a tennis ball but old and drying up.

IMG_3559.JPG IMG_3560.JPG

found a crop right in our front yard a week or so ago, we had taken out a laurel hedge last summer and they were growing there. we had never seen any there before, we picked about 3 pounds!

View attachment 1410305
You'll never see them grow there again either. It sucks that clear cuts or tree removal is only good for 1 season

I've never looked in clear cuts every state I've found them in has been undisturbed forest. I have heard that recent burned areas out here are supposed to very good have seen proof in pictures from friends. I remember one year as a kid we had a patch pop up in our yard got about 4lbs but never saw them again. I think I read once that many have tried to grow/produce morels but none had success

I've seen them in clear cuts and along creeks mostly but have found them in random spots in the forest too. All in the NE corner of our state while big game hunting tho. Found a ton of false ones on the side of Marine drive while running the other day, got my excited for a second lol

I've never looked in spots like that
I've never seen them in the same place twice. The grasses overtake the clear-cuts and the trees began to grow
Interesting. Though I'm not a serious mushroom hunter, I have often found them beneath deciduous trees, most commonly what I call the Oregon white oak (which I understand is not native to Oregon). Pick them and next time you'll find the sprouts in the same general area. Someone once told me it was caused by the pH of decaying oak and the higher CO2.

Picking spring mushrooms

Hummmmm...... I came to read/learn......more about the newly legal MAGIC variety.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Because, Oregonians deserve the very best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top