JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What, nobody hunts with a lever action anymore? Guess I'll need to take pictures of next year's hunt.....

I was too exited to get the whole gun:confused:, but if you've seen 1, you've seen em all. Model94 winchester 3030 lever action open sight. 2 nights ago.Broadside 80yards, no rest.. pinned the front bead on the shoulder, got him in the neck:D

CCC840A0-9F1C-40AF-9081-FF576432984E.jpeg

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I promise, but I value ethical hunting way beyond making everyone like me. Why were you aiming for the shoulder if you had a broadside shot? And why are you seemingly celebrating being that far off at 80 yards? If you had been off in any other direction it probably would have just wounded it. I'm sorry, but the animal deserves better practices than this.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I promise, but I value ethical hunting way beyond making everyone like me. Why were you aiming for the shoulder if you had a broadside shot? And why are you seemingly celebrating being that far off at 80 yards? If you had been off in any other direction it probably would have just wounded it. I'm sorry, but the animal deserves better practices than this.
Killed more deer with that open sight than most can speak of their own. Anyhoot, since you ask, I'm mainly a sit on a trail in the thickest of thickest brush you can imagine, crawl on your hands and knees kind of Hunter. Usually don't take more than a 15 yard shot. And usually it's in the neck:p... . I've had gamecams set in this trail since September. And it's been hot, tracked down everyday .... went and sat on the trail until about 5:30 and decided to walk out. What do you know, a buck sitting on the side of a skid road I was walking out on with half his body covered by a lower limb of 25-30yr old reprod fir. Only shoulders neck and head exposed and he has me busted:(. But he doesn't know I'm on him yet. It's all about confidence from that point 2da. I'll admit I hadn't practiced with that little rifle since last season and maybe could of got the small gun sway in tune before I went out this season, but in the end it's all about confidence. Hell, I've hit beer caps, no rest at 60 with it. A 12"/12" shoulder shot shouldn't haven't been a big deal. You can preach and discuss ethical kills until your blue in the face, long story short is the buck caught me with my pants down and I had to make a quick decision. by the way, did you get a buck this year? And don't know where you got the "celebrating" thinking from

Not sure about his motivation, but I only aim for shoulders when hunting anywhere steep. Break both shoulders and you anchor the animal. It may need a second shot, but it will be immobile. I've seen too many perfect shots through lungs and heart where the animal has enough gas to get a ways away and sometimes doesn't get recovered. Especially if it heads downhill into a steep canyon.

Not sure about his motivation, but I only aim for shoulders when hunting anywhere steep. Break both shoulders and you anchor the animal. It may need a second shot, but it will be immobile. I've seen too many perfect shots through lungs and heart where the animal has enough gas to get a ways away and sometimes doesn't get recovered. Especially if it heads downhill into a steep canyon.
Exactly! This is where I hunt.
WapinitaCanyon-bottomsouth.jpg

Took my tikka t3x ctr in 308 elk hunting. I couldnt make opening day due to scheduling conflicts, but I got 5 solid days for my first time. It was a ton of fun even though I left empty handed(truck-ed?)

I learned a lot of things that hopefully might create sucess next year (obviously need some luck too)

Sure was beautiful though, got a few decent pictures instead of the animal

20191107_104132.jpg 20191108_130208.jpg

Nice, inspirational pictures you guys have shared. I need to get setup with a decent hunting rifle. Kinda leaning towards .308. What's the minimum caliber recommended for Elk?

What's the minimum caliber recommended for Elk?

Lol, you will get a range of responses from .243 through .375 H&H. Even a few ".22LR have taken elk!" Your .308 preference would do the job fine. Practice as much as you can, get as close as you dare, and don't let pride stop you from firing follow up shots.

Nice, inspirational pictures you guys have shared. I need to get setup with a decent hunting rifle. Kinda leaning towards .308. What's the minimum caliber recommended for Elk?

That is a excellent question to stir up a hunting camp debate....:D
In cartridge rifles I prefer :
7mm Mauser
.30-06
.45-70
Even the .30-30 , if the range is right.....

Where and how you hunt , will play a role in just what rifle / caliber to use....

For muzzleloading rifles I prefer .50 on up , my favorite being .54 caliber.

Like any hunting....
Find a load that your rifle and you shoot well with...and practice with that...both on and off the bench....
I'd also suggest , scouting with you rifle , and if you can , take a shot or two when doing so....there is a world of difference when shooting at a range and when shooting in the hunting field.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR