JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bugs in Bend, OR

6F775566-C202-4F80-8FEF-4D24A32E637C.jpeg BE749C5D-B9EC-4402-9197-135F4EEFEEE7.jpeg 4B07F908-9F20-44D1-A50D-522CEE9B0E30.jpeg

Package thief! I often watch after packages are delivered cuz 2 legged animals try to steal them. This time I forgot and ring cam alerted me to this guy trying to break into food boxes about 4-5 min after delivery (3:45 in afternoon, not at night). Smart little buggers. How did it know? Did it see the delivery? Crazy good smell alone?
View attachment 1125902
I'm always a little leery of those day time pandas. The few that I've ran into and dispatched (on separate occasions) had K9 Distemper and that is some nasty nasty stuff.

Package thief! I often watch after packages are delivered cuz 2 legged animals try to steal them. This time I forgot and ring cam alerted me to this guy trying to break into food boxes about 4-5 min after delivery (3:45 in afternoon, not at night). Smart little buggers. How did it know? Did it see the delivery? Crazy good smell alone?
View attachment 1125902
Look at the notches in that guys ears!

Look at the notches in that guys ears!
I noticed that too. My gut feel is it's from other raccoons (ie fighting) just going by the shape of other things I've seen them tear up (sharp little teeth!), but could be a coyote or? This guy looks really rageddy compared to other ones I've seen that are "fluffy" for lack of a better term. This is the only one I've ever seen come up the front steps. Maybe they are like human porch pirates where they follow around the delivery van then rush up and grab! (Kidding!). I've seen them in backyard but not for 8 months to one year cuz I trapped the ones that used to come every night.

The distemper or other problems? that 40garand mentioned are a definite possibility with this one imo just based on looks but I am far far from an expert.

The distemper or other problems? that 40garand mentioned are a definite possibility with this one imo just based on looks but I am far far from an expert.
When they start looking a bit out of place (showing up in the middle of the day) and not acting very spunky keep a solid watch on them. If it's K9 Distemper you'll see significant changes in 3 or 4 days in it's lack of hygiene. Their eyes get all puss'd up and discharge. Their hind end and under carriage will be soiled in urine and fecal matter. Also they will tend to stand in one spot for long periods of time as brain function is quickly being attacked. Any of their urine, crap, discharge, or secretion's cast off outdoors in cool and shaded areas or on your porch can carry and transmit the virus for a couple weeks. If you kill one, double bag it and bury it good so other animals won't dig it up. There's no need to call ODFW (they're not a game species) or animal control unless somebody is unable to handle the task themselves. Maybe have them check with a neighbor or relative before they reach out to animal control. The first one I ever noticed was at my old place in West Salem. I saw him at odd times and by day 3 he was as described above. While I was doing some landscape maintenance along the side of my house he lunged at me and met my shovel. The second one I dealt with wondered aimlessly around my house for about 6 days and when I found him on the last day he was just about dead. I got him with a .22 short.

Last Edited:
Also keep in mind that if you have dog or cat food out even if the bowl is empty as soon as you feed you pet, an infected skunk, oppusum or racoon will come along and lick the bowl. This transfers the nasty stuff onto your pets bowl and when they clean it out upon their next feeding, now they have the nasty stuff going into their system. Lost a cat to this years ago after an expensive vet bill.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top