JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You coulda mentioned that about 10min sooner!:s0066:

Just got back from there and was gonna post the same.šŸ¤£

I don't know if it's still going on, but last week Freddy's had the chicken of the sea lightly smoked in oil for $.97/can. Under $1 is when I usually stock up. Cases of 18. A little on the soft side, but one of the better tasting with skins and spines. I'm not a fan of skinless or boneless... which seems to be more common. They lose a lot of flavor and nutritional value.

Not bad for routine eating/snacking/sandwiches that's affordable, but still some other brands that are preferable and denser for special occasions/dishes.
They had some sardines that were .79 a can, but they were "made in China" and since I don't care to potentially ingest glycol or "sewer grease" I passed on them, BUT I did pick me up a 1/2# bag of Trapper's Choice beef jerky for $7.99!

BUT I did pick me up a 1/2# bag of Trapper's Choice beef jerky for $7.99!
Maybe someday you will be able to sample my beef jerkey!

This was batch of lemon pepper brined I made last week - and gone in a couple days!

IMG_20230829_083758778.jpg

Thank you for the recomendation! No seriously, thank you!
Ive gotten back into weightlifting recently and have been trying to find cheap ways to up my protein intake. I had no idea before researching my options that Sardines were such nutrient powerhouses. Some of the highest concentration of omega 3s plus Vit. D and C. And lowest mercury of all fish. Best of all they arent as bad as how I remember them as a kid lol.
This brand was on sale during the last Amazon Prime day for 30% off like $3ish bucks a can, so .25cents per is just nuts. Cheaper than the cheapest dented clearance tin anywhere.

Any idea if this is a local deal or all GOBM stores?
Tuna packed in water is also a great protein "bang for the buck".

Thank you for the recomendation! No seriously, thank you!
Ive gotten back into weightlifting recently and have been trying to find cheap ways to up my protein intake. I had no idea before researching my options that Sardines were such nutrient powerhouses. Some of the highest concentration of omega 3s plus Vit. D and C. And lowest mercury of all fish. Best of all they arent as bad as how I remember them as a kid lol.
This brand was on sale during the last Amazon Prime day for 30% off like $3ish bucks a can, so .25cents per is just nuts. Cheaper than the cheapest dented clearance tin anywhere.

Any idea if this is a local deal or all GOBM stores?
You need to join us over at the "What did you do to exercise today? " thread.

My all time FAV is Brunswick lemon/pepper kipper snacks but they have been pretty scarce for a while however once in a while the $1.25 store (IE the Dollar Tree) has the basic Brunswick kippers in water - and I can sprinkle a little lemon pepper seasoning on them for that price!

Lately they have had a 'similar' style - Beach Cliff Herring Fillets which are pretty good also.

Gross out (mine anyway) normally has Season brand sardines and the ones in 'Louisiana hot sauce' are pretty good.

Normally I do NOT like sardines in any kind of sauce but these are pretty mild really quite good. And only $1.29 a can. They were only like .97 per last year but went up.
Yeah. I really like the Brunswick kippered herring. I usually get those by the case from Winco. Oddly enough... I just had some last night doing a small stove/15g refillable tank/mug kit demo.
20230923_031133.jpg 20230923_035112.jpg

As difficult as it can be to get decent fish out of a can... Good stuff, those! šŸ‘

That looks FRIKKEN DEEEEELICIOUS!
And it wasn't even close to being done yet!

The lemon pepper jerky was an idea I had - but when I looked it up I discovered is was not just some cockamamie Idea of mine - and that it is not uncommon and is a recipe made by some commercial jerky makers.

Well I found a brine recipe online and 'modified' it a bit and it came out excellent! It still retains some 'traditional' jerky flavor but with a nice, mild 'tangy' lemon/pepper flavor in the 'background'.

It may become my 'primary' jerky recipe!

Tuna packed in water is also a great protein "bang for the buck".
Reminds me of that old story about how Stallone was downing 6 cans of tuna and half a dozen eggs a day when he was getting ripped for Rambo II ...Who cares about mercury levels when your farts are nuclear bombs and a biohazard spill rolled into one

I got exited after seeing this initial post earlier! I went to the one at 72nd and Flavel and put 6 cases of 12 in my cart.
They billed out at .99 per can, not 4 for .99!
4 oz ea for .99 on the aisle tag.
Crap, kept 4 anyway, but disappointed

Yeah. I really like the Brunswick kippered herring. I usually get those by the case from Winco. Oddly enough... I just had some last night doing a small stove/15g refillable tank/mug kit demo.
View attachment 1492898View attachment 1492900

As difficult as it can be to get decent fish out of a can... Good stuff, those! šŸ‘
Thats a good meal right there, what are in the three round tins? Im a big fan of good noodles with extra stuff tossed in.

Sardines. Oh boy. Maybe it's something you have to acquire a taste for. My dad used to bring them home, packed in tomato sauce. When I was in Vietnam, one of my pals got a care package from home. It contained many tins of sardines - packed in oil, packed in tomato sauce, and some packed in mustard. The mustards hung around a long time and some were still uneaten when I rotated. I don't know, they aren't the worst thing. That use-by date, they're good for a long time after that. When they are truly too old, the consistency changes, they get like paste.

German soldiers must've considered sardines to be survival food. I read that it was common for US Army soldiers to find tins of sardines in the pockets of German soldiers when they surrendered.

More and more of this kind of thing is packed in China. They scoop everything they can out of the sea and use it. The Chinese and Russians don't care about sustainability or treaties, they are emptying the oceans. People blame global warming on reduced salmon runs, heck, that isn't the whole thing, the Chinese and Russians grab all they can when there are still at sea.

Check the labels on canned fruits these days, more often they say China than California.

That's a great price, but with all the crap being dumped in the oceans, I've limited my consumption of seafood

On a side note, Sardines have much higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids than Salmon or tuna it's also a good source of vitamin D

Yep - it is a FAV spice/brine of mine (of many!)

I recently perfected a lemon/pepper injectable marinade for chicken and a recent batch I made came out fantastic.

View attachment 1492906
The wife and I slather lemon juice on our fish/seafood and some poultry dishes, we prefer sliced lemons in our drinking water, and it's great squeezed over quite a lot of different veggies like Brussels sprouts, green beans, and salads and about the only thing I'll add to my food (especially at restaurants) is black pepper since commercially prepared meals are usually loaded with sodium and/or sugar.

Top notch sardines for under .25 cents a can!! This brand is normally $4+ each. Reason? Expiring on 9/30/23. Personally I could care a less because if they are stored properly will be good for many years.

I bought 96 of them today - they are in qty 12 boxes and will get 5x that next time if still there.

Sardines are just about the best survival food you can eat. The exception is if you get Gout. Sardines are high in purines and not good for those folks.

Probably the best FOOD deal out there. Grab 'em. I mean with these on hand your average human could survive on $1 a day for a while anyway. Excellent source of healthy proteins. Omega 3s. Low in bad things like mercury.

View attachment 1492612
Which grocery outlet?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top