JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@RVTECH Yes. A big fan of the Kipper Snacks in the long yellow can. Polar Brand, wild caught, 1.28g. Usually about $1.29 each. Good alternative to Sardines for people sensitive to purines and have gout issues. Also great source of proteins, high in Omega3s, low in (bad) Omega6s.

Posted a few months back that some rich friend bought a huge amount of them, didn't like the taste, and just gave them to me. Nutty folks cause they have huge amounts of storage space and I do not. Not complaining though.

EDIT: I looked to see what the Evil Empire charges for the Kippers (Amazon lol) and $2+ each. It doesn't compete well on low dollar food items like those.

Last Edited:
Don't think I have ever in my life eaten a sardine. Not a seafood guy anyway but all this talk about how good they are I may just have to buy a can and see if I can find a way to eat them. They sound like they would be a good emergency keep around food. I guess if I try and just can't eat them the dogs will finish them for me :D

I got exited after seeing this initial post earlier! I went to the one at 72nd and Flavel and put 6 cases of 12 in my cart.
They billed out at .99 per can, not 4 for .99!
4 oz ea for .99 on the aisle tag.
Crap, kept 4 anyway, but disappointed
Unless they were the unexpired/ 9/30 ones they rang those up wrong. When I took my cases up I took the GenZ Spicoli-like kid to verify the price and at first he said .97/EACH and then I told him to get a manager because that was NOT what the shelf tag said.
The manager then confirmed they were 4 for .97 cents, or $2.91 a case.

Spicoli Kid: Damn dude that is a righteous haul there! Sigh. Better than the 'sir' I always get cause I am old haha.

Sardines are just about the best survival food you can eat. The exception is if you get Gout. Sardines are high in purines and not good for those folks.
This right here, I love crab, shrimp, oysters and other shellfish but sardines never made the list. My first flair up reminded me of what my father went through, that was funny/horrible to witness.
I told the Dr to cut that friggin big toe off!!!:eek::eek::eek:

But for the sake of not having to eat the Spam we have set aside for emergencies, I'll give them a try again.

Unless they were the unexpired/ 9/30 ones they rang those up wrong. When I took my cases up I took the GenZ Spicoli-like kid to verify the price and at first he said .97/EACH and then I told him to get a manager because that was NOT what the shelf tag said.

Spicoli Kid: Damn dude that is a righteous haul there! Sigh. Better than the 'sir' I always get cause I am old haha.
I'd much rather be called Sir than dude, that's one of the worst trigger words for me.
My son called me that once and his nickname soon became "dammit"

This right here, I love crab, shrimp, oysters and other shellfish but sardines never made the list. My first flair up reminded me of what my father went through, that was funny/horrible to witness.
I told the Dr to cut that friggin big toe off!!!:eek::eek::eek:

But for the sake of not having to eat the Spam we have set aside for emergencies, I'll give them a try again.
Had a flair up of that many years ago. I thought must be arthritis or such. Would come and go and at times I wanted to cut the damn big toe off. 🤬 Finally asked Doc and they told me it was gout and what to do about it. Damn should have not waited so long to ask and now as soon as slightest sign of it can put a stop to it.

@Alexx1401 I hear you. A friend of mine gets gout and two of the bad reasons were he loved sardines, and sadly IPA beers.

What messes with people is the gout reaction and recovery from it are usually on a one-two week pause so hard to nail down what happened. If you ever get it again drink tons of fluids. Preferably distilled water for a few days and give your liver and kidneys a break to clear things out.

Either people get it or they don't. If so, avoid foods high in purines and to a lower degree, oxylates.

There is a temporary pharm drug solution, but sorry everyone knows by now I avoid everything they peddle.

@Alexx1401 I hear you. A friend of mine gets gout and two of the bad reasons were he loved sardines, and sadly IPA beers.

What messes with people is the gout reaction and recovery from it are usually on a one-two week pause so hard to nail down what happened. If you ever get it again drink tons of fluids. Preferably distilled water for a few days and give your liver and kidneys a break to clear things out.

Either people get it or they don't. If so, avoid foods high in purines and to a lower degree, oxylates.
The fluid intake was what mostly seemed to stop it for me. Sometimes I go overboard on some of the rich foods and have to cut back but the main thing seemed to be to make sure plenty of fluid. Now as soon as I get any hint of it just drink a lot more and it never has gotten bad again. Damn it was MISERABLE for a good while till I found out what it was. Have some of the best health insurance you can get and like so many will put off going to the damn Doc over and over when I should just go and ask. 🤬

OK, boomer…. :s0108:

;):D

@Alexx1401 I'll stick to helping with the sardines and avoid how much hate I have for the drug pushers (doctors) and the cartels (pharms). Not anything more to say that I haven't repeated 100x here like a broken record. Also have some of the best insurance but my guts pretty much have to be hanging out before I go into their profit centers. That said, if you break your leg or have an HA or stroke we DO HAVE possibly the best medical help on the planet. See, I said something positive about them! ;):)

Headed to the gym and will go by G.O. - chances are they are sold out by now.

@Alexx1401 I'll stick to helping with the sardines and avoid how much hate I have for the drug pushers (doctors) and the cartels (pharms). Not anything more to say that I haven't repeated 100x here like a broken record. Also have some of the best insurance but my guts pretty much have to be hanging out before I go into their profit centers. That said, if you break your leg or have an HA or stroke we DO HAVE possibly the best medical help on the planet. See, I said something positive about them! ;):)

Headed to the gym and will go by G.O. - chances are they are sold out by now.
The only good thing about our health care "system" is potentially getting a sponge batch by Nurse Goodbody

When I was growing up in Hawaii, my mom fed us kids a lot of canned sardines. The simple recipe was :

Heat the sardines in an iron skillet.
Grab a lettuce leaf (not the romaine or iceberg type).
Place a bit of sardine in the middle.
Add a bit of leftover rice (if you got some).
Then, wrap the leaf around the sardine/rice combo and pop it into your mouth to eat.

Funny how I never saw a can of tomato sardines, until I got a lot older.

Aloha, Mark

Thats a good meal right there, what are in the three round tins? Im a big fan of good noodles with extra stuff tossed in.
Micro trail lunch setup for day trip BLM shooting excursions. From the bottom right is wakame (dehydrated seaweed), next is a couple tablespoons of dehydrated vegetables (onion, peas, carrots, green bean, bell pepper, celery & tomato flakes), next is just nondairy coffee cream. It was just to illustrate the use of 1oz ingredient tins for portability. Tofu is another common ingredient.

20230923_031911.jpg

Last Edited:
Funny how I never saw a can of tomato sardines, until I got a lot older.
Those shouldn't even exist. 🤣 I've tried some of those sauce types (tomato, mustard, etc) as well as some with an actual hot peppers or lemon slice in with them and... without exception... regretted it.🤣🤣

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top