JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I was reading a thread on a gun forum where someone was asking about a 2nd-tier brand of firearm. Someone immediately responded, 'Go be poor somewhere else.' Someone else commented, 'The Poors like 'em, but that's it.' In another thread someone was asking about economical double-barrel shotguns. Most people posted suggestions but of course someone chimed in 'If you can't spend at least $1500 you should just stay home.'

When somebody posts about a gun or brand of gun that isn't a major brand there's always 'that guy' that posts expressing their opinion that the entire brand is crap and implying-or stating outright- that anyone who would consider buying it is an idiot.

It's one thing if someone is asking an opinion of the brand/gun and you have specific objections with a basis in reality- perfectly legit to express your reservations and the reasons for them. But to interject in a thread just to make a degrading remark?

Seriously- why would you even bother reading a thread about a gun/brand that doesn't interest you, let alone weigh in for the sole purpose of registering your contempt? The only reason I can think of is to puff yourself up and feel superior. It doesn't help, it doesn't add to the conversation- the only useful function of these posts is to alert the world that you are a jerk.

People have very definite opinions about different guns. I especially have opinions. If someone close to me asked about a gun that I especially dislike, the closer I am to that person would make me that much more emphatic about my disdain for that piece of junk.

Although it sounds like a personal attack, it's really not always.

More and more, I see folks with little or no experience suggest a brand or model of gun that I personally know is junk. It's hard to keep my lips closed, and often the newbie will argue. Makes it really difficult to share knowledge. Makes me that much more emphatic with my opinion.

The criteria I use? Would I let my Mom have that gun?

I also agree, the internet can be a mean place.

Usually the "Fudds" and "Tier one opperators" talk like that. Guys claiming expensive firearms magically shoot better than generic ones.. those are the same guys that often prove themselves to be terrible shots anyway when at the range. There are always guys like that, just ignore them.

Im a taurus fan.. I get my fair share of brand hate. But Ive never had a lemon from Taurus and have owned up to ten Taurus firearms at one point, which I used to shoot all regularly.
(No time for shooting these days)

For some reason the internet brings out the keyboard warriors in droves. Pay them no mind.

Thats's something I like about NWFA, somebody could buy a hi-point pistol, have it dipped in $100 bill wrap *cough**cough*, and while we might joke around some and make fun of them a bit, we don't tell them to leave like that azzhat did.

Sometimes people forget that there are people at the other end of these posts and threads.
Its the part I hate about the internet is some assumed anonymity = ppl can be aholes.

You ever see that guy speeding down the roads drifts thru the light. That same guy never would dare do it
with a cop sitting at the light. That is what we call perceived fortitude, not actual fortitude.

Everyone I know is on a budget of some sort...granted some budgets are bigger than others...:D
That said...

There is nothing "wrong" with a "lower end gun"...if it works for you and what you use it for.
Case in point:
My NEF Pardner 20 gauge single shot shot gun...
Inexpensive...
Not quite as pretty as a pre-64 Winchester model 37 Shotgun...being that my gun is a newer model , I think its not as good looking as a older Stevens 94...
But the grouse don't care what my gun looks like or what it costs...

I do know that with the 26 inch barrel and the Modified choke which it comes with , is something that I can not get with a Winchester 37 or a older Stevens....
So my NEF works for me and what I wanted...
A light , easy carrying , fairly open choked , grouse and small game gun.

As for the "contempt"...Well , at the end of the day... I'm still probably going to like my firearm choices and know that they work for me...so that is again , more important , to me , than what someone else says or thinks about my choice....
Andy

That's just idiotic I don't care if you can only afford a $50 dollar Raven .25 caliber pistol your still part of the club AND BELIEVE ME WE NEED AS MANY PEOPLE IN THE CLUB AS WE CAN GET .and if your not a A$$ you might have .a chance that a group of guys and girls will give you a AR15 .

Everyone I know is on a budget of some sort...granted some budgets are bigger than others...:D
That said...

There is nothing "wrong" with a "lower end gun"...if it works for you and what you use it for.
Case in point:
My NEF Pardner 20 gauge single shot shot gun...
Inexpensive...
Not quite as pretty as a pre-64 Winchester model 37 Shotgun...being that my gun is a newer model , I think its not as good looking as a older Stevens 94...
But the grouse don't care what my gun looks like or what it costs...

I do know that with the 26 inch barrel and the Modified choke which it comes with , is something that I can not get with a Winchester 37 or a older Stevens....
So my NEF works for me and what I wanted...
A light , easy carrying , fairly open choked , grouse and small game gun.

As for the "contempt"...Well , at the end of the day... I'm still probably going to like my firearm choices and know that they work for me...so that is again , more important , to me , than what someone else says or thinks about my choice....
Andy

Interesting, your analogy using a NEF as an example. Already we're confusing inexpensive, with poor quality. The NEF, although less expensive than other shotguns, is certainly not in my opinion, low quality. It is a very serviceable shotgun and serves its purpose extremely well. So, I would not offer a negative opinion on such a firearm. Where I might be more inclined to offer an opinion, is if a feller bought a Russian made shotgun from K-Mart, (an old days real life example), known for failures and also known for zero customer service availability.

So, trying so say this in another, less wordy way, I will offer a vehement opinion if a firearm is unsafe or of such poor quality that using it could prove costly, but I would never offer a negative opinion if a feller buys a lower priced gun that is known to perform its function as designed.

I won't berate someone for choosing a less expensive gun - if it's what you want, what you can afford, and it meets your needs, what's it to me? I will say, if I see someone asking about a particular inexpensive gun, I will give my honest opinion, if I don't think it's a gun that's reliable or safe. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean a bad gun - you may sacrifice finish quality, but there are reliable guns on the low end that will allow most folks a chance to own a firearm for defense.

Some folks are just jerks - and it's not limited to the gun community. Ignore the ones that only seem to want to cause grief. Most of the rest are going to be good folks.

Last Edited:
Interesting, your analogy using a NEF as an example. Already we're confusing inexpensive, with poor quality. The NEF, although less expensive than other shotguns, is certainly not in my opinion, low quality. It is a very serviceable shotgun and serves its purpose extremely well. So, I would not offer a negative opinion on such a firearm. Where I might be more inclined to offer an opinion, is if a feller bought a Russian made shotgun from K-Mart, (an old days real life example), known for failures and also known for zero customer service availability.

So, trying so say this in another, less wordy way, I will offer a vehement opinion if a firearm is unsafe or of such poor quality that using it could prove costly, but I would never offer a negative opinion if a feller buys a lower priced gun that is known to perform its function as designed.

I've owned several NEF shotguns, I was pleased with the quality and would readily own one for self defense.

Believe me I see lots of gun on this site that I will never be able to buy but that's the way it is just like not everyone gets to drive a LAMBORGHINI .LOL so back to my Nissan I go

there have always been gun snobs and they are here on this site too

sks upgrades and your a bubba ...good Im a bubba and deplorable
I also own a crappy Taurus 9mm 24/7 my most accurate pistol... I shoot dinner plates at 75 yards consistently

who cares most here vote democrat & they vote FOR gun control..........so what the hell do they know and who cares what they think ....identity politics and identity gun snobbery

ya..... I look for every chance I can to insult a gun owning democrat......... voting to take my rights away

Those posting dissing the guy because he can't afford a high end gun are too dumb to realize that the majority of forum members reading their posts are thinking, "what a jerk."

Calling someone out based on finances is poor form.

Calling out someone for thinking brand X is "the best" or "the worst" is just good natured ribbing, it's what Men do and should be continued...:)

Fifty some years ago I hunted deer with a Marlin 336C in .32 Win Special. In those days Marlin was a 2nd tier manufacturer. It still killed deer and never failed me. These days that 1950 Marlin is a better rifle than a new Winchester. Wish I still had it.

Also, when I was a kid 50 years ago we dove hunted on my cousin's cattle ranch in the Sierra foothills. It was like a 25 member club composed of relatives, co-workers, and family friends. Gramps would get a lot of ribbing because he hung out at the horse trough not far from the ranch house all day. We'd kiddingly accuse him of ground sluicing the birds as they lighted on the watering trough. We had a few skeet experts show up from time to time with expensive guns and shoot several boxes of shells with little to show for their efforts back at the ranch house at lunch time. I usually limited out or came close with my Mossberg .410 bolt action. These days my favorite dove gun is a 1947 Ithaca Model 37 in 20 ga with full choke. It shoots where I look.

People who look down their noses at the gun choices of others are best ignored.

I've been blessed to live for a fairly long time. In that time I've owned some top shelf guns and some inexpensive ones. (actually quite a lot over the years) Some were excellent and some were disappointing. Price is not always a measure of quality. ;)

Interesting, your analogy using a NEF as an example. Already we're confusing inexpensive, with poor quality.

I've owned several NEF shotguns, I was pleased with the quality and would readily own one for self defense.

Please understand that my comments about my NEF Shotgun were not about the quality of the gun itself..which I actually rate quite high...it is well made and has never failed me...it even has served in a self defensive role at one time....

My use of it for my example is that some folks look down on it , 'cause of its price and the fact that its a single shot...not for any perceived lack of quality....sorry for any misunderstandings due to my poor writing...:oops::)
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR