JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are snobs about everything. I think guns, beer, pizza, and coffee all fall into the same group - there are some of each that are just terrible, a bunch that are cheap but still good enough, some that are overpriced because of the brand, and some that are truly a notch above others, usually due to a long reputation and experience, or meticulous attention to detail, or both. But, almost all of them will get the job done, and most of the time the user is just as happy as a pig in poop.

Please understand that my comments about my NEF Shotgun were not about the quality of the gun itself..which I actually rate quite high...it is well made and has never failed me...it even has served in a self defensive role at one time....

My use of it of for my example is that some folks look down on it , 'cause of its price and the fact that its a single shot...not for any perceived lack of quality....sorry for any misunderstandings due to my poor writing...:oops::)
Andy

I didn't take your comment as a negative - just sharing my like for them myself :)

The people that see ones car, house, guns, whatever as a status symbol and attach self worth to those things are most likely what's known as (not advocating the use of this term, but can't think of a better one) ****** rich. You know like the rapper that has a 100k medallion around their neck but will be broke and homeless in 5 years.

Some of the wealthiest people I know, got that way by being frugal and living modestly. I've know multi millionaires who drove Geo Metros to commute and save gas.

I'd have more expensive guns if I didn't choose to invest in my kids future, my retirement, and other practical, but not flashy or glamorous things.

At the end of the day, if you can afford the most expensive guns or whatever, more power to you, but don't be a dick about it.

Besides the bell curve drops off dramatically with guns like everything else where you are spending exponentially more money for a modest increase in performance, if any.

Some of the wealthiest people I know, got that way by being frugal and living modestly. I've know multi millionaires who drove Geo Metros to commute and save gas.
Alex Spanos' wife used to buy her hosiery at JC Penney where my mother worked. They started out with a burrito truck selling to the field workers around Stockton, CA. A couple decades later he wrote a personal check to buy the San Diego Chargers. Yep, frugal.

Personally, I feel it is every gun owners responsibility to advocate to preserve our right to bear arms... even if ya are blue. ;) Part of that includes supporting upcoming and new shooters. Berating a person for their gun choice is just cutting off our noses despite our faces and does nothing to encourage new shooters to ask questions and advance their knowledge... who in turn will do the same within their own circles.

IMHO, every responsible individual should exercise their right to gun ownership. If your budget doesn't allow much wiggle room for what you "want" (or what others tell you you "need", for that matter)... still, buy... a... gun. Whatever you can afford. You can always upgrade in the future but exercise your right "today"!

It generally does very little good to try to "defend" against a "troll" or "gun snob", but it is, IMHO, a community responsibility to offer support and countering information in a constructive way rather than "troll bash". I'm just as guilty as anyone. My first thought is generally to tell "gun snobs" to go stuff a primer in their p-hole, but in the end run, it does no good at all in trying to preserve a supportive and informative community culture.

My plug nickels worth...

I never could get past the idea of "Status symbol" with every thing, it's just something folks have to do to feel better a out being them selves! Guns are a huge part of that mentality! While I never got into any of that, I do understand the mentality of it! Take a look, the guy with the Bentley, the 7 figures house, the high end custom shop built bang stick, trophy wife, etc. Deep down he wants to impress every one with his stash, his precieved status, and covering his insecurities!
I have had more fun playing with a few Rock Island 1911s then I can remember, nothing at all wrong with them, and because they are less expensive, I don't feel bad when I get a scratch or ding, it's not a Colt N.M! Lol :D

Yeah, I have three AR's that all have Anderson lowers, and have been questioned why I have such good parts on a "cheap" lower. I just smile and move along. :rolleyes:

A great guitar player can make any guitar sound phenomenal. I don't need a $3000 guitar to sound like Clapton, I need to practice. Same with pistols, rifles, and shotgun, IMHO.

Please understand that my comments about my NEF Shotgun were not about the quality of the gun itself..which I actually rate quite high...it is well made and has never failed me...it even has served in a self defensive role at one time....

My use of it for my example is that some folks look down on it , 'cause of its price and the fact that its a single shot...not for any perceived lack of quality....sorry for any misunderstandings due to my poor writing...:oops::)
Andy

See how easily the spirit of our intended meaning is lost when it's written on a computer. I was not judging or being critical of anything you said, so no apology is necessary. I was merely saying two possible criteria for judgement are economy, and quality. I do not judge economy, if it does not impact quality.

The attitude here is why this is my favorite gun forum. We may have members disagree, some will even show their asses at times, but it's to a minimum. I've never seen where someone is trashed because of what they own/shoot. The above is why I'll never join AR-15.com. I have seen a TON of asshats over there, and don't care to partake. I've no time for gun snobs.

Im a taurus fan.. I get my fair share of brand hate. But Ive never had a lemon from Taurus and have owned up to ten Taurus firearms at one point, which I used to shoot all regularly.

HAHAHAHA, I have had the same thoughts and have pretty well stayed out of that argument. I will say here and now that I've always had good luck with the Taurus. I don't own any right now, but have been looking at a couple. Back in the mid 80's a good friend got his FFL and really wanted a S&W 686 6" but every one we looked at felt like $#!t and the fit wasn't much better. He decided to order the Taurus copy. Honest ta God it blew the S&W's we looked at away. The thing shot great, looked great what more can you ask? I have owned a few of their wheel guns and will again. My wife's cousin has one of the 92 copies as a daily carry, again with no issues.

Frack the Gun Snobs.

There is nothing "wrong" with a "lower end gun"...if it works for you and what you use it for.
Case in point:
My NEF Pardner 20 gauge single shot shot gun...
Inexpensive...
Not quite as pretty as a pre-64 Winchester model 37 Shotgun...being that my gun is a newer model , I think its not as good looking as a older Stevens 94...
But the grouse don't care what my gun looks like or what it costs...

My wife has a NEF in .223 with a scope. It's a great little rifle. She's had it a lot longer than she's had me.

Beware the country gal that has a single shot and uses it well..;)

I try not to look down my nose at what people own or buy, although I may have comments about the quality/etc.

Comments online are sometimes misinterpreted, but people (myself included) sometimes exhibit bad manners too, or get snarky (I do when it comes to politics).

Dang....

I have some cheap stuff in the cardboard box safe and I reload exclusively on Lee presses.

Anyone on here say that I'd have them straight on my ignore list after flaming the hell out of them and making sure everyone else realizes they are an bubblegum.

... If someone close to me asked about a gun that I especially dislike, the closer I am to that person would make me that much more emphatic about my disdain for that piece of junk. ...

Providing an opinion on the technical merits of a gun is much different than insulting a person with a comment like: "'Go be poor somewhere else."

The first is comment on the gun itself, the second is a personal attack on a person. The first comment is useful (if rooted in experience), the second comment is worthless and divisive.

... More and more, I see folks with little or no experience suggest a brand or model of gun that I personally know is junk. It's hard to keep my lips closed, and often the newbie will argue. Makes it really difficult to share knowledge. Makes me that much more emphatic with my opinion. ...

Don't hold back so long as it is a comment like "I had one and every third magazine it would jam, tried X, Y, and Z, to fix it and eventually sold it."

If the comment is like "only a moron would buy that POS" -- then yeah, probably best to just think it and let it go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top