JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's just idiotic I don't care if you can only afford a $50 dollar Raven .25 caliber pistol your still part of the club AND BELIEVE ME WE NEED AS MANY PEOPLE IN THE CLUB AS WE CAN GET .and if your not a A$$ you might have .a chance that a group of guys and girls will give you a AR15 .
Please don't buy a Raven .25;)

Lol I had one about 28 year's ago I believe it was like 58 bucks
My experiences with .25s came early in my gun life. Both almost tragic.
Out shooting with a buddy in some wooded area. I wasn't old enough to own pistols so generally had shotties and evil AKs to shoot. He pulls out a .25, can't remeber if it was a Raven or Jennings, but let's me give it a try. Squeeze, nothing...um not sure what I did wrong. Rack, safety, click. He takes it back, said something about his dad told him about a "curse of the 25". Messes with it, points at an alder about 20' away, bang! Yes! Then, Oh snap! Round bounced off the tree and almost hits us.
Fast forward a couple years to next encounter. Friend shows us the new pistol she got for protection, pulls out a Raven 25. Another buddy says to get rid of that POS and get a real gun, it probably won't even work. She gets all worked up. "I'll show you this works" steps out the back door and try's to fire into the field in back. Nothing....she is getting more pissed as we all start laughing as she struggles with it. Finally comes back in and we all sit around the table for some cards. She says "I just don't understand it, guy I got it from showed me it worked" as she holds the Raven, then BANG! ND into to dinning room table we were all sitting at.
I kinda believe the curse of the 25 and am quick to dump unreliable guns.

One of my grandfathers always had a pistol in his jacket pocket. We never thought much about it. When he died I inherited his guns to distribute to my brothers and keep what I wanted. His pocket pistol turned out to be a tiny German Rohm 22......might have been a short......they were sold for something like 12 bucks out of ads in the back of Popular mechanics. I looked the thing over, cycled the cylinder a few times and put it back in the bottom of the box. It would not align the cyl with the barrel before dropping the hammer and was so loose as to be scary. The quality was worse than a good cap gun. I can't remember what I did with it but it didn't involve shooting. He did have some good guns that we still have but he loved that POS thinking he got a great deal. It has always made me think about the long lasting items that we all leave to our families when gone. They go to illustrating who we are and what we like. So......in all things, I opt for quality. The temporary expense of a quality item is quickly forgotten but the quality of a junk item endures.

One of my grandfathers always had a pistol in his jacket pocket. We never thought much about it. When he died I inherited his guns to distribute to my brothers and keep what I wanted. His pocket pistol turned out to be a tiny German Rohm 22......might have been a short......they were sold for something like 12 bucks out of ads in the back of Popular mechanics. I looked the thing over, cycled the cylinder a few times and put it back in the bottom of the box. It would not align the cyl with the barrel before dropping the hammer and was so loose as to be scary. The quality was worse than a good cap gun. I can't remember what I did with it but it didn't involve shooting. He did have some good guns that we still have but he loved that POS thinking he got a great deal. It has always made me think about the long lasting items that we all leave to our families when gone. They go to illustrating who we are and what we like. So......in all things, I opt for quality. The temporary expense of a quality item is quickly forgotten but the quality of a junk item endures.
Hey, now, take it easy on Rohm products! My first handgun was a Rohm RG .22 single action revolver with a convertible .22 Magnum cylinder. My dad bought it for me with some of my paper route money. If I recall, it was on sale at the B & I in Tacoma for $29.95 for the long rifle only, and $37.95 if you wanted the additional .22 Magnum cylinder. While it was pot metal, it had a light trigger pull (and ivory colored plastic grips!). Since I went the extra $8, I guess it was my first Magnum!
As for gun snobbery in general, I have owned a lot of different firearms over the years, but have always been a bargain Hunter. Anyone can shell out a couple grand for a custom rifle with a super quality scope and shoot some decent groups (although some might require a machine rest to do so :rolleyes: ), but putting together one for $400 takes some real skill. I find that much more gratifying to accomplish that, than confirming that a very expensive item actually performs as it should.
And yes, I have a Taurus PT-1911 in my safe, and while I do like it, I am planning to have it worked on to perhaps repace some of it's cheaper parts with some higher quality components that will hopefully improve it's long term durability.

07BE3416-26AA-4848-A11F-D305832E1C00.png I am always up for a good deal.......it is how I made much of my living since leaving the military 30+ years ago, but quality has to be the first consideration. I just bought a 1938 Suhl hand made REMO over under in original hard case for 614.00 delivered. The stock needs 100.00 in clean up but it is an honest 2,000 shotgun. I could have spent the same amount on a junk Mosburg. In the 50's you could have bought a good Dusenburg for the same as a new Pontiac. Today a 55 Pontiac is a nice car but a Dusenberg is a multi million dollar car.

Last Edited:
Recently I was reading a thread on a gun forum where someone was asking about a 2nd-tier brand of firearm. Someone immediately responded, 'Go be poor somewhere else.' Someone else commented, 'The Poors like 'em, but that's it.' In another thread someone was asking about economical double-barrel shotguns. Most people posted suggestions but of course someone chimed in 'If you can't spend at least $1500 you should just stay home.'

When somebody posts about a gun or brand of gun that isn't a major brand there's always 'that guy' that posts expressing their opinion that the entire brand is crap and implying-or stating outright- that anyone who would consider buying it is an idiot.

It's one thing if someone is asking an opinion of the brand/gun and you have specific objections with a basis in reality- perfectly legit to express your reservations and the reasons for them. But to interject in a thread just to make a degrading remark?

Seriously- why would you even bother reading a thread about a gun/brand that doesn't interest you, let alone weigh in for the sole purpose of registering your contempt? The only reason I can think of is to puff yourself up and feel superior. It doesn't help, it doesn't add to the conversation- the only useful function of these posts is to alert the world that you are a jerk.
Really good topic (and obviously tons of people have input on it).

I find this same thing in virtually every subject where enthusiasts come together. I'm a musician and there are always people looking to get into playing guitar and want inexpensive options -- others are working musicians and want something that's somewhat "disposable". But the responses often have wannabes, studio musicians, or collectors going off on the OP with how crappy this or that brand (or non-USA-made version) is.

I'm a sportbike (motorcyclist) enthusiast. Sportbike riders go through tires like crazy -- particularly when doing track days. Considering an inexpensive off-brand tire and want suggestions? Oh no! Why even bother riding? Looking for cost-effective oil? Are you insane?

Same goes for my car enthusiast brethren.

SSDD...

Really good topic (and obviously tons of people have input on it).

I find this same thing in virtually every subject where enthusiasts come together. I'm a musician and there are always people looking to get into playing guitar and want inexpensive options -- others are working musicians and want something that's somewhat "disposable". But the responses often have wannabes, studio musicians, or collectors going off on the OP with how crappy this or that brand (or non-USA-made version) is.

I'm a sportbike (motorcyclist) enthusiast. Sportbike riders go through tires like crazy -- particularly when doing track days. Considering an inexpensive off-brand tire and want suggestions? Oh no! Why even bother riding? Looking for cost-effective oil? Are you insane?

Same goes for my car enthusiast brethren.

SSDD...

I belong to a 67-72 Bump group same thing extremes as well as like minded.

Why does everyone look down on my RG10 revolver? They've all got their fancy-schmancy Colt Pythons and Taurus Judges, but my little RG10 outshines them all.

Joking of course. I do have an RG10 in the safe, and I worked on one for a friend, that he inherited from his grandmother. I'm not a gun snob but I do have to draw the line at pot metal junk revolvers that were unsafe to fire the day they were made.

Added: sorry 2ndtimer, no offense intended regarding Rohm products. My experience has only been with the two RG10s I've tinkered with. Maybe they made other models that were better.

Last Edited:
NAA makes what I consider very good quality pocket revolvers.
Jennings, however had some model 59 9MM pistols that were cheap, heavy, launching parts at the range. I felt that their best quality was to be used with a rope around the trigger guard and slung in a circle.
They had very good reviews in the gun magazines. :(

Those are the same guys others of us could mock because:

- They have a Craftsman table saw, instead of a Powermatic or Unisaw;
- They drive a ten year old Chevy/Ford, rather than a new _______;
- Their kitchen cabinets and Formica counter tops aren't as nice as my granite/marble/slate/. . . . ones;
- They live in a two bedroom modular, rather than a stick built . . . .;
-

On the table saw, for example, I was away from woodwork for about fifteen years. When I started getting back into it, I knew enough to understand I needed several tools and couldn't afford "top tier" all the way around. I limped with a Harbor Freight table saw and other second or even third tier pieces. I made them work. Now, I have my second Unisaw and "a few" other tools. I have to give the HF tools credit - they helped get me my carver, over-arm pin router, planer, spiral jointer, . . . .

Too, it's a bit like a straight razor forum, where everyone sharpened their own. They rambled garbage like, if you can't sharpen by muscle memory, you're a girl. When I pointed out to one he'd look developmentally disabled trying to sharpen my: 1) lathe knives (30 through 70 degrees); 2) chisels (cold and wood); 3) ax; 4) lawn mower blade; 5) kitchen knives (thin JA Pan and thick German for different angles); 6) hand and electric planing blades, 7) marking knives; 8) and so on, he documented his stupidity on the Net.

Another one got all snowflake because I was so foolish as to suggest sharpening some woodworking equipment required as much skill as any of their razors. The flake had never seen one of the plane competitions, in which several feet log curls of inches wide wood had to be cut in a single pass, and you had to be able to read through the shaving. Of course, that is all aside the matter of knives that cut the veneer for furniture, including plywoods.

Then there is the matter of, ALL OR NOTHING. That is, if you can't afford the best, go with nothing (e.g., not even a hoe for the garden, because you can't afford a Troybuilt). That says everything we need to know about their level of genius.

Last Edited:
The temporary expense of a quality item is quickly forgotten but the quality of a junk item endures.

I agree wholeheartedly! When I first started buying guns 30 years ago I was all about cheap. I never bought junk (except for a brief experience with a Jennings 9mm) but I wish I had spent just a little more and bought just a bit nicer stuff. On the other hand, it was what I could afford. Even now, going out and laying down $2k, or even $1k on a nice gun just isn't an option. Some of you all can do that and that's nice, but I can't. I did just spend $500 on a really nice used S&W model 29. That's a lot of money for me to spend on something I don't "need", but in reality it's pretty cheap, good quality, and I am extremely happy with it.

I agree wholeheartedly! When I first started buying guns 30 years ago I was all about cheap. I never bought junk (except for a brief experience with a Jennings 9mm) but I wish I had spent just a little more and bought just a bit nicer stuff. On the other hand, it was what I could afford. Even now, going out and laying down $2k, or even $1k on a nice gun just isn't an option. Some of you all can do that and that's nice, but I can't. I did just spend $500 on a really nice used S&W model 29. That's a lot of money for me to spend on something I don't "need", but in reality it's pretty cheap, good quality, and I am extremely happy with it.
And the M29 is a great quality gun.......congratulations. Quality doesn't have to be expensive. It doesn't have to be a Korth to be quality.

Last Edited:
We need all gun owners in the gun club. Doesn't matter what they own. After my dad died I got guns I gifted him for home defense back and also an HR revolver he picked up at some point probably at the BX who knows. My brother exclaimed that I would never have gotten such a cheap gun and likely I wouldn't but mostly because the trigger is so bad. What bothers me is that my dad never shot the guns either the funny revolver or the Sigs and that is the real shame I think. My dad always shot expert when his troops went down to Qualify and he managed without ever firing a shot. Astonishing, I wonder how that happened?

We need all gun owners in the gun club. Doesn't matter what they own. After my dad died I got guns I gifted him for home defense back and also an HR revolver he picked up at some point probably at the BX who knows. My brother exclaimed that I would never have gotten such a cheap gun and likely I wouldn't but mostly because the trigger is so bad. What bothers me is that my dad never shot the guns either the funny revolver or the Sigs and that is the real shame I think. My dad always shot expert when his troops went down to Qualify and he managed without ever firing a shot. Astonishing, I wonder how that happened?
H&R's were not terrible guns. Like an Ivar Johnson......they were inexpensive serviceable pieces used by people that didn't shoot that much and needed a reliable weapon for self protection. My great grandmother carried one.that we still have. The calibers were of modest power so they didn't get beat up a lot by heavy loads.

What's a "67-72 Bump" group?
Like this see the bump on the side the call these bump sides and the others one with indents called well dent sides.
I have a 67 F250 Ranger, this is my rig. But the point of posting was that some like keeping things original and some like changing or owning all sorts of firearms .But we need all owners of guns just like our group works well because everyone is included.
7535704044_0f8b0f6216_o (2).jpg

Like this see the bump on the side the call these bump sides and the others one with indents called well dent sides.
I have a 67 F250 Ranger, this is my rig. But the point of posting was that some like keeping things original and some like changing or owning all sorts of firearms .But we need all owners of guns just like our group works well because everyone is included.
View attachment 451378
The sentiment of your post was well received. Totally understood.

Didn't know about "bump/dent sides". That's a pretty cool design element. Your rig looks awesome, by the way! ;)

I have generally found that quality is worth what it costs. When I was reconditioning my '79 Ironhead I went with the best I could afford (and ended up with a lot more than it's worth in a Sportster). Since I wasn't building it to sell, I don't regret the Stage 2 engine mods, Andrews close ratio gears, Dell'Orto DHLA 40 mm 2bbl carb, Progressive shocks, premium fork seals, , etc. when I'm riding it. Most Sportsters won't do 85-90 mph+ in 3rd gear but mine will.
When I am enjoying the use of a firearm I'm not sorry I bought something worth having. Yeah, I know a gun is "just" a tool, and I like nice tools too. It's not just that a pot metal .380 may work fine, but I like the feel of a nice gun in my hand long after I have forgotten about how much it cost. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top