JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reasons 428 and 931.

I had always thought the CX4 was the craziest space gun when I started getting into firearms. Then I learned of the select fire MX4 and ever since seeing it I wanted my CX4 to resemble it. Now mine does, though not select fire.

I always wanted a mad Max style shotgun. Because it's legal with NFA tax stamp, and Covid opened the door for long periods of time at home, I have a hand cannon that I did 100% off the smith work on and it is easily one of my favorite things. It's a great conversation starter, as well as a wrist dislocater.

A 14" .44 mag lever SBR would be fun?
Too close to 16" I'd say at least 4" or more is worth the stamp. Otherwise just stick with 16".

If you put a suppressor mount on a 14" you are nearly back to 16".

I'd say a 10" 44 mag lever gun, or less, would be way more intriguing. That way you can put a can on it and almost be the same length as the original 16" gun. Or keep it short and call it a day.

Too close to 16" I'd say at least 4" or more is worth the stamp. Otherwise just stick with 16".

If you put a suppressor mount on a 14" you are nearly back to 16".

I'd say a 10" 44 mag lever gun, or less, would be way more intriguing. That way you can put a can on it and almost be the same length as the original 16" gun. Or keep it short and call it a day.
10" too close to 6", may as well as stock on a revolver ;) :p
Edit. 12" no can better?

10" too close to 6", may as well as stock on a revolver ;) :p
Edit. 12" no can better?
Revolvers will always lose a little bit of pressure due to cylinder gap. You'll get more velocity out of a lever gun in the same caliber at the same barrel length.

Reasons 428 and 931.

I had always thought the CX4 was the craziest space gun when I started getting into firearms. Then I learned of the select fire MX4 and ever since seeing it I wanted my CX4 to resemble it. Now mine does, though not select fire.

I always wanted a mad Max style shotgun. Because it's legal with NFA tax stamp, and Covid opened the door for long periods of time at home, I have a hand cannon that I did 100% off the smith work on and it is easily one of my favorite things. It's a great conversation starter, as well as a wrist dislocater.
whereas my cx4 just has a threaded barrel. I was sold on the cx4 when I learned I could set it to eject left. (I have a cx4 in 9mm and .45)

whereas my cx4 just has a threaded barrel. I was sold on the cx4 when I learned I could set it to eject left. (I have a cx4 in 9mm and .45)
Love that gun. Hate the trigger. Too cheap and lazy to deal with Brian over in At Helen's to actually do anything quickly. If he is even still in the world of modifying CX4s.

Putting a stock on a .44 mag version of the Mares Leg lever action pistols (12+" barrels) probably the simplest route?
Yep. That way a smith won't have to shorten the mag tube. Though there are competent smiths that can do this, it usually isn't the least expensive way to SBR a lever gun.

Both of mine have his mods. IMO, worth it.
I tried 4-5 years ago. Went out and toured his property and shop. Was set up on his waiting list for a flat top conversion with all of the internals upgraded. He was to contact me when he could start working on mine. That never happened, unfortunately, so I kind of gave up on it. I'd really just like to have a metal trigger and hammer vs the plastic components.

I tried 4-5 years ago. Went out and toured his property and shop. Was set up on his waiting list for a flat top conversion with all of the internals upgraded. He was to contact me when he could start working on mine. That never happened, unfortunately, so I kind of gave up on it. I'd really just like to have a metal trigger and hammer vs the plastic components.
I made an appointment, got the internals done and shot at his range to test them out. Mine look bone stock but the new hammer, trigger, guide rod and such are all done. Did not do the trigger housing.

...And it's only a matter of time before they declare braces are stocks, and make you pay to install a brace. May as well get out in front of the problem.

If I remember right some politico recently suggested raising the price.

..And some firearms like the Vz.61 Scorpion look hideous with a brace. If you're already spending $1000+ what's another $200.

Might be a good business opportunity for someone to help people submit their SBR applications. It can be overwhelming at first.
$200 for a lot of us is really nothing when it comes to "gun stuff". Hell the folding adapter I bought for my AR pistol cost close to that. I guess its great that they make the NFA process with all the hoops. If I could just walk into an FFL and buy the stamps like buying a gun? I know I would have a bunch of the damn things now as would the Wife. :D

I've sbr'd a few rifles mostly because I prefer a stock over a brace and I prefer a vertical grip. I still have plenty of non sbr'd guns both full length and braced but I SBRd to get the gun exactly how I wanted it, not ALMOST.

And to the ppl saying booboo about getting on a federal registry, let's not pretend that we all are not on one already. Unless you've never purchased a gun from an ffl and only done buddy buddy deals, you're on a list somewhere. They've been tracking gun buying and gun buying trends for a long time.

Just look at all the people who buy/sell/trade alot who have got letters from the ATF telling them to either stop selling so much or to get an FFL. They know most of what you have already and if they don't it's easy to find.

Don't believe me? Take any one of your guns that you've purchased at an ffl. Drive into town and throw it out the window on any given street corner and count how much time it takes between a good Samaritan turning it in and having suits at your front door.

You mean their latest position on it (in contrast to their previous position), as directed by the Biden administration, along with clamp down on "ghost guns", triggers, visiting people who bought two handguns on the same day, revoking ffl licenses for even minor mistakes, etc etc.

Even the reason itself is deeply flawed based on some arbitrary 1934 rules made at a time when these weapons did not exist. Fe adding a stock makes a pistol a "2 handed weapon" in their eyes. How many people do we know that shoot a pistol with only one hand exclusively? The rule itself makes no sense in the modern age and trying to force modern weapons into old definitions has become a joke and totally arbitrary based on current political whim (which is currently anti-gun, Fe "anybody who wants a semi-auto is sick" according to Biden) not based on "danger to the public".
This is what happens when people who know squat about firearms try to make gun laws. Just like Measure 114. Reading it makes my head spin...

This is what happens when people who know squat about firearms try to make gun laws. Just like Measure 114. Reading it makes my head spin...
114 makes total sense if you believe that violent criminals are the victims and that law abiding citizens are the root cause of hate and discontent. It's kind of like those old Superman comics that featured Bizarro World.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads