JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When they take the brace away it will be VERY tempting for me as I love the idea. For me the "them knowing" means nothing. Every gun I have ever bought from a dealer the info is there, we have permits, so info is already there. I don't like the cost but the guns are fun as hell. What many don't seem to get is they are not coming door to door for guns. At least not in my lifetime. As they pass more laws most will just go along. The few hold outs are going to do what with stuff banned? Can't take it out to shoot it. Some will get caught now and then and made an example of. They will not need to go door to door. The great lock down hoax proved to them they do not need to.
Sounds a lot like the Soviet union doesn't it? 😟

Thats fair.

If that did end up coming to fruition then I still wouldn't pay a stamp for a brace or an SBR. Let's just say in the case of an AR pistol I'd just run an extension of the buffer tube (many options could be devised) and train with it as such. Again, this is me and I'm not trying to convince anyone this is the only way.
Have you looked at the litany of things that can make it an SBR? You know from their new "check list", pretty much anything and everything could be construed as an SBR so they can try to tax you or demand you give it up.

Have you looked at the litany of things that can make it an SBR? You know from their new "check list", pretty much anything and everything could be construed as an SBR so they can try to tax you or demand you give it up.
Indeed I have. And I dont disagree with you. However, at this point in time I'm not gonna have any amount of fear mongering direct my decision on something that hasn't totally flushed out yet.

It's interesting that 85% plus percent of members said they won't get a permit to purchase but some of those members don't have a problem paying $200 to get on a federal registry for one firearm. They also don't have a problem paying for the right to carry concealed.
To answer the bolded part - obviously I must have at least one gun if I go out and get the CWP. But the government doesn't know much of what I have, and can't trace it. I've got guns that I know went through 2 private parties, and both are deceased. ZERO ability to trace, and they're legal.

My biggest reservation about purchasing post purchase permit is the public database. I don't even like the fact that my recent purchases are on a 4473.

Those same people will be the first to call others criminals and probably rat others out.
I'm in the 85%. I certainly won't be ratting anyone out!! My attitude towards the government and government authority has really soured. I was always hating on the ATF / NFA / GCA. Other than that, I once was in the "see something say something" crowd. Not anymore. I could probably count on one had the crimes that I would report.

I'm not assuming this was at anyone in particular... but just to clear the air... im absolutely in the you do you and I'll do me boat.

I dont see the value for myself, but I am legitimately curious the value that those that have done it see.

I also struggle greatly with the blatant hypocrisy behind the whole SBR thing. This qeapon is so evil and dangerous were going to make it highly illegal to own. Unless however, you give us extra money and then its completely fine. Its a damn money grab for something that should already not be an NFA item.
100% for both the SBR and silencers. I live in the land of gun nuts. We're all shooting all the damn time and it would be nice to suppress some of the noise. There are multiple AR10s among my neighbors. It's not like they're quiet, they're just less obnoxiously loud.

Thats fair.

If that did end up coming to fruition then I still wouldn't pay a stamp for a brace or an SBR. Let's just say in the case of an AR pistol I'd just run an extension of the buffer tube (many options could be devised) and train with it as such. Again, this is me and I'm not trying to convince anyone this is the only way.
Sling stabilization is another option. I have never tried it but some here have.

I intend to get a few suppressors in the near future (and therefore be on "the list"), so I will probably SBR a few specific firearms at some point in the future as well, just so I can deck them out properly. For any firearms I intend to have as truck guns, or that I may end up carrying concealed on my person, I will keep them braced because WA laws regarding transport of a rifle vs pistol are ridiculous, as mentioned earlier.

The unfortunate and frustrating predicament of being a law abiding citizen that likes to have quality.

This would be about the only benefit of inflation that I can think of right now... now if only there was a way to address wage stagnation and leech CEOs tanking the economy. Gotta recall that when the NFA was drafted, $200 was one fifth of the average annual salary for an American!

You have quite a bit of freedom using a pistol or "firearm that doesn't quite meet any NFA/GCA definition" :rolleyes: (like <26" OAL "pistols" ) versus a SBR or AOW or SBS.

Granted, the ATF wants to put AR15 pistols into the SBR/AOW category with or without braces :rolleyes: I did say in the past, the easiest way for the ATF to get what they want, along with a not insignificant number of Congresspeople; would be to amend the NFA to have a new category of "semiautomatic assault weapons" and put the entire AR15 class of firearms into there....

You have quite a bit of freedom using a pistol or "firearm that doesn't quite meet any NFA/GCA definition" :rolleyes: (like <26" OAL "pistols" ) versus a SBR or AOW or SBS.

Granted, the ATF wants to put AR15 pistols into the SBR/AOW category with or without braces :rolleyes: I did say in the past, the easiest way for the ATF to get what they want, along with a not insignificant number of Congresspeople; would be to amend the NFA to have a new category of "semiautomatic assault weapons" and put the entire AR15 class of firearms into there....
They might hear you:)

At the time, in 1934, the tax stamp cost was cost prohibitive for the unwashed massed and common folk. But it ensured the rich and powerful could still buy them. The price was intended as a block to deter mere mortals from getting the items, not to raise money.

The $5 AOW transfer tax was apparently a signal that it was ok for some lower class taxi driver to have an Ithaca Auto & Burglar.
Completely understood. Although I disagree with it in its entirety. One there shouldn't be an NFA regulating anything and two trying to price out mere mortals from owning something they are allowed to own (assuming they are) only aids in the potential defiance of what would what normally be a law abiding citizen.

But just as bad imho
1672901038294.jpeg

Braces are nowhere near as nice to use as stocks. And some platforms they aren't even an option. If you are worried about being on a list, everybody already is. $200 is a drop in the bucket to many people who enjoy this hobby.

My perspective. My SBR experience is only with AR platforms

Even without NFA items, I know I'm on a list and having said NFA items isn't going to change that.

I dove in with 2 feet by ordering two suppressors, and at that point I may as well have the SBR too.

Money will come and go, so 🤷‍♂️ on spending thr money on the stamps.

I like using a stock way more than a brace. And if (big if in my eyes) it is ruled that braces=stocks I'd have to stamp it to keep it basically.

I generally prefer a shorter overall length and want to stick to the AR platform. My 300 blackout SBR with a can is equal in length to a 16" with a muzzle device but it's a lot more enjoyable to shoot.

I want to do what I want, when I want (I know thst seems counter intuitive by asking permission for an SBR) by having 1 SBR'd lower and one that is braced, I have options.

An NFA item is only an NFA item when it is in an NFA configuration. So I can drop a 16"+ upper on my SBR and it's just a rifle. I can take that SBR upper and drop it on my braced lower and it's just a pistol.

*I am not a lawyer and not your lawyer. You should take anything I say as not legal advice.

Because of the restrictions on out of state travel, not to mention the tax stamp and everything associated with it, I decided a braced pistol was the way to go. Yeah, I wouldn't mind the brace being a little longer, but that's a very small issue.
Braced pistol for me. It's even better that it has no paper trail.

Because of the restrictions on out of state travel, not to mention the tax stamp and everything associated with it, I decided a braced pistol was the way to go. Yeah, I wouldn't mind the brace being a little longer, but that's a very small issue.
Braced pistol for me. It's even better that it has no paper trail.
Exactly
Jay Inslee Smile GIF by MSNBC

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top