JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife isn't a new shooter. She loves her kahr and absolutely loves my sig p365macro. But the recoil of the 9mm kills her injured elbow. It hasn't been the same since an accident three years ago.
I'm looking at the lcp max for her. I carry a lcp when I don't carry the sig.

Any other good suggestions?
Ty

My wife isn't a new shooter. She loves her kahr and absolutely loves my sig p365macro. But the recoil of the 9mm kills her injured elbow. It hasn't been the same since an accident three years ago.

Ty
LCP max will kick just as much, smaller round, much smaller platform.

I'd say the Ruger Security 380 Lite, it's got the mid size with a double stack 380 so it will be easy to shoot and can be found usually just over 300.

They are very popular sellers at my favorite FFL.

Ty
Would this be for carry purposes or just general fun shooting?

LCP max will kick just as much, smaller round, much smaller platform.

I'd say the Ruger Security 380 Lite, it's got the mid size with a double stack 380 so it will be easy to shoot and can be found usually just over 300.

They are very popular sellers at my favorite FFL.
^^This is a good choice. Another one you might consider is the S&W Shield EZ in 380, just a very slight bit bigger than the Security 380. Very easy to rack and the recoil won't be as harsh as an LCP or LCP Max. Downside to the EZ is the 8-round capacity.

Ty
A Browning 1911-380 is the softest shooting centerfire I have ever shot. It is light weight but the 1911 locked breach design really tames the recoil! I like my LCP and carry it often but the 1911-380 is a just joy to shoot and I can shoot it all day. It is the only centerfire pistol my petite 14yo daughter will shoot. It is also very easy to rack the slide.

I don't think your wife would enjoy shooting the LCP Max near as much as she would enjoy the 1911-380.

A Stoeger Cougar / Beretta Cheetah is another 380 that is supposed to be very soft shooting. (I have never shot one).

Last Edited:
^^This is a good choice. Another one you might consider is the S&W Shield EZ in 380, just a very slight bit bigger than the Security 380. Very easy to rack and the recoil won't be as harsh as an LCP or LCP Max. Downside to the EZ is the 8-round capacity.

The S&W is nice but I hate the backstrap safety and since it's single stack vs the ruger double stack, has about half the capacity...

Ruger has the nice fiber optic front sight..

Ty
Need a little more info here. 9mm is hard for her in what pistol? They make 9s that are brutal all the way to ones that feel like shooting a .22. Weight of the pistol is going to be FAR more important than the round. I have and EDC Ruger LCPII in .380 that is a great little pistol but, it can be brutal to shoot for long. When it was new and I was making sure it could be trusted it had one hand bleeding by the time I was sure it could be trusted. So are we talking about a pistol for carry or a pistol for defense at home and such?

Possibly something in 32 ACP?
There are lots of options from surplus European police pistols. Beretta, Walther, CZ.
32 ACP was good enough for European police and military from World War I all the way through the 1980s.
Just a thought, since it technically is powerful enough to stop a threat with a couple well-placed torso shots. But recoil is very light compared to 380 or 9 MM.

Need a little more info here. 9mm is hard for her in what pistol? They make 9s that are brutal all the way to ones that feel like shooting a .22. Weight of the pistol is going to be FAR more important than the round. I have and EDC Ruger LCPII in .380 that is a great little pistol but, it can be brutal to shoot for long. When it was new and I was making sure it could be trusted it had one hand bleeding by the time I was sure it could be trusted. So are we talking about a pistol for carry or a pistol for defense at home and such?
Agree. Impossible to say anything really without knowing intended use and if for edc, what is the largest gun she is comfortable carrying.

.22 Magnum D/A revolver and get good with it.
Ruger LCRx

Screenshot_20230708_071938_Chrome.jpg

Ty
Maybe a 5.7 pistol

The pistol would be for CC.

If they made a compact 5.7 pistol that might be an option.
I have not gone the 22mag direction thinking a .380 would be good. I didn't think of a 32.
Light and with the least recoil as that's what is killing her elbow. She won't spend enough time behind it to be good enough to shoot with her left hand. So it's back to the drawing board.
She loves her kahr. She likes the s&w ez but it's too snappy. And she feels like she "has to have a manual safety) even tho she knows and I've talked her out of a safety on her other guns.
Oh, since shooting my X-macro she wants a red dot.

She has two elbows? I look at most personal defense as close in confrontation or run. Avoidance is my first priority. pinpoint aiming and muscle control is good, but where 7 - 10 yards is claimed to be and generalized as average, point and shoot with practice, (with the same gun) at least for me, after a fashion, produced easily obtainable kill zone hits. And repeatable. Methinks will likely suffice to stop a threat. like the one arm person or the opposite eye dominant folks, changing methods is doable, and might be considered before downsizing.
Dealing with the 7-10 yards, I opine 9mm (maybe 380) minimum. I pack a 32 sometimes, usually as a backup, as Ive seen what it can do to the neck of a deer covered with denim using Danial Defense bullets, it isn't pretty, those bullets bore in like a buzz saw*. still, its a 3, really stretching it to four yard max, again in my opine.
* the neck was not mobile on the ground supporting it. not the same as a standing person

Since it's CC (which excludes a lot of other options), some thoughts fwiw:

1) recoil energy chart here:

2) That chart is pretty limited though and may not show enough impact of handgun weight. A large/heavier 9mm Fe may feel like less recoil to the shooter than a small snappy .380

Not sure how accurate this chart is that tries to add weight to the equation but they seem in the ballpark:

E18E1C13-1132-442F-BC47-93A71A9CF95C.jpeg
Light gun .380, most felt recoil of the three examples by far:
3490A07D-0C3F-45B0-9152-562DDE71D264.jpeg
Heavy gun 9mm with 115gr round, much less felt recoil
1986A490-6905-4723-B46B-7C54355A24FF.jpeg
Heavy gun .380, least felt recoil of the three examples:
C9E46AC8-5245-4B3C-9DAC-70229A8570CC.jpeg

3) Ammo makes a difference. A light weight bullet or a load designed for less recoil can make a huge difference in felt recoil.

The two charts above are just a reference and should be used as just a data guide and not for decision making IMO (I mean actually shooting the gun is the best tool for decision making). I think it ultimately comes down to what is the largest/heaviest gun she is comfortable carrying and at what point does the power of the cartridge get too low to be considered.

IMO it's an individual thing, especially in this case. I would suggest if possible to zero in on a few that look promising and rent at a range to test. For whatever gun used, I would test lightest weight bullet that is similar to, or is, the light weight self defense round (Fe 115gr 9mm critical defense Is about the same as 115 gr ball ammo, so either 115 gr ball or critical defense 115gr woudl work to evaluate felt recoil). All just imo if I were in your shoes, feel free to ignore.

Last Edited:
The pistol would be for CC.

If they made a compact 5.7 pistol that might be an option.
I have not gone the 22mag direction thinking a .380 would be good. I didn't think of a 32.
Light and with the least recoil as that's what is killing her elbow. She won't spend enough time behind it to be good enough to shoot with her left hand. So it's back to the drawing board.
She loves her kahr. She likes the s&w ez but it's too snappy. And she feels like she "has to have a manual safety) even tho she knows and I've talked her out of a safety on her other guns.
Oh, since shooting my X-macro she wants a red dot.
Since its for CC best to if at all possible find a place that has one she can rent before you buy. Some of the easy to carry .380's are almost brutal in recoil. Again its all about weight and size. One of the steel frame D/A .380's might feel fine for her as long as the weight of carrying them is not a problem. Again though if possible find a range she can rent stuff. PITA if you buy and then find out its not what she wants.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top