JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can only speak to what I'm experienced with - here are some thoughts for you in case you're still in the consideration phase. (Nothing you probably already haven't heard.)

If she likes her Kahr - then possibly a Kahr CT 380 (that's the large one). Recoil reduction is noticeably less than the same size Kahr in 9mm. Also, if she likes the Kahr trigger (I love Kahr triggers), then she won't have to retrain.

Someone mentioned the new Ruger Security 380 - another good choice in terms of recoil reduction. Shot one recently - very nice. Thinking of getting one. It's one of those "lite-rack" or "easy-rack" models.

Glock 28 (same size as a G26). Shot one same day as I shot the Ruger Security 380 - also very manageable recoil.

My S&W Shield 380 EZ was very manageable for me - the perceived recoil for me was not snappy at all. Very smooth (even with defensive ammo). Wish I hadn't sold it.

EDIT: Older style, Beretta Cheetah (84's and 85's) are nice pistols. Single stack grip is nice. My 84 double stack is fat, even for my hand.

I agree with many others who suggest that the Ruger LCP MAX recoil might be a little too much. I have put several hundred rounds through mine and I love it and I'm good with it. But it is the epitome of "snappy".

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good luck. Cheers.

Last Edited:
If recoil sensitivity is a problem you could look at the Glock 28. It is the South American version of the Glock 26, except chambered in .380 ACP instead of 9mm due to the laws down there about civilians having access to certain calibers, such as 9mm, deemed restricted to military or law enforcement. It's a pretty chunky gun so a .380 should produce a low recoil impulse since there's so much mass available to help absorb recoil (versus something like a pocket .380). Since you mentioned its for concealed carry you could look at a Glock 42, also in .380. I had one in the past and that thing was a pea shooter, but I'm also not your wife so our tolerances for recoil may be different. Following the same principle that justifies a Glock 28, other firearms you could look at are the Sig P365-380 and a Ruger Security 380

A note on soft recoil loads, soft loads need to be tested by the shooter not for the shooter.
Example, I can provide a much more solid grip than many shooters having spent many years using heavy rivet guns in production environments as well as decades as a heavy shooter.
What has this to do with pistol loads? Some guns will not run reliably for my wife that function well for me, same goes for soft recoil loads, some soft loads work well for me and short stroke for my wife. My wife like many shooters can not reliably fire some small pistols and will not tolerate the small .380's too snappy. FWIW, she likes her S&W Shield 9mm and her .32 Beretta Tomcat.

The right answer is a pistol with more mass and a locked breech, regardless of caliber. If you are serious about defense, you don't use soft recoil loads, you use a soft recoiling pistol. The latter are reliable.

My wife isn't a new shooter. She loves her kahr and absolutely loves my sig p365macro. But the recoil of the 9mm kills her injured elbow. It hasn't been the same since an accident three years ago.
I'm looking at the lcp max for her. I carry a lcp when I don't carry the sig.

Any other good suggestions?
Ty
Been looking at the Girsan MC14 T with the tipping barrel for my wife, she currently carries a S&W 43c with and apex trigger…

Last Edited:
The S&W is nice but I hate the backstrap safety and since it's single stack vs the ruger double stack, has about half the capacity...

Ruger has the nice fiber optic front sight..
It's also a single action hammer fired pistol, so the grip safety is more necessary than say the one on an XD.

100% 2nd the shield 380 EZ.

I can only speak to what I'm experienced with - here are some thoughts for you in case you're still in the consideration phase. (Nothing you probably already haven't heard.)

If she likes her Kahr - then possibly a Kahr CT 380 (that's the large one). Recoil reduction is noticeably less than the same size Kahr in 9mm. Also, if she likes the Kahr trigger (I love Kahr triggers), then she won't have to retrain.

Someone mentioned the new Ruger Security 380 - another good choice in terms of recoil reduction. Shot one recently - very nice. Thinking of getting one. It's one of those "lite-rack" or "easy-rack" models.

Glock 28 (same size as a G26). Shot one same day as I shot the Ruger Security 380 - also very manageable recoil.

My S&W Shield 380 EZ was very manageable for me - the perceived recoil for me was not snappy at all. Very smooth (even with defensive ammo). Wish I hadn't sold it.

EDIT: Older style, Beretta Cheetah (84's and 85's) are nice pistols. Single stack grip is nice. My 84 double stack is fat, even for my hand.

I agree with many others who suggest that the Ruger LCP MAX recoil might be a little too much. I have put several hundred rounds through mine and I love it and I'm good with it. But it is the epitome of "snappy".

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good luck. Cheers.
I'd go 81 for the beretta if recoil is the issue. It is the same lower half as an 84 I believe.

I love my West German PPK. It is one of my most accurate at fast shooting.
Not related to OP's Q, but this reminds me I always wanted to try one of the PPs in 22 with the long barrel. They are always so spendy though I would rather have a colt woodsman, browning gold medalist, or Hugh standard for less money.

D0B04987-0F1C-4C87-8BE7-A09264CF3317.png

Since you already have the Sig, I'd get the Xchange kit and just pop out your FCU out of the 9mm and stick it in your .380 P365 kit.

You also don't have to deal with the FFL bs and 4473 garbage. If you go that route, just run some good quality personal defense ammo and she will be good to go. I carried .380 for many years In a Kahr, Glock, S&W, Ruger, Kel-Tec.

Possibly something in 32 ACP?
There are lots of options from surplus European police pistols. Beretta, Walther, CZ.
32 ACP was good enough for European police and military from World War I all the way through the 1980s.
Just a thought, since it technically is powerful enough to stop a threat with a couple well-placed torso shots. But recoil is very light compared to 380 or 9 MM.
When my daughter shot my Beretta 84 in 32 acp she never gave it back. She is an ace with a Glock 19 but this was love at first shot.

When my daughter shot my Beretta 84 in 32 acp she never gave it back. She is an ace with a Glock 19 but this was love at first shot.
I believe in 32 acp they are the 81 series. Though I have heard you can stick an 84 slide on an 81 and it will work so long as you have an 84 magazine. (there is a very slight difference in the feed lips, I have converted 84 magazines to work on the 81 on my anvil) Personally love that gun. It is a bit heavy for a 32 though. But recoil is minimal.

I believe in 32 acp they are the 81 series. Though I have heard you can stick an 84 slide on an 81 and it will work so long as you have an 84 magazine. (there is a very slight difference in the feed lips, I have converted 84 magazines to work on the 81 on my anvil) Personally love that gun. It is a bit heavy for a 32 though. But recoil is minimal.
One of those older designs in .32 are a dream to shoot due to the weight of the pistols. The .32 was a common police round outside of the US for a long time and used to be a ton of surplus pistols in this round due to that. For people who are for any reason recoil sensitive they made a great gun for just that reason. I have long wished Ruger would make the LCPII in .32. Wife LOVES them in .22. She well carry and practice with one. The .380 version I carry she not only can not rack the slide, she will not fire it. In .32 it would be a sweet compromise that sadly probably will never be :(

One of those older designs in .32 are a dream to shoot due to the weight of the pistols. The .32 was a common police round outside of the US for a long time and used to be a ton of surplus pistols in this round due to that. For people who are for any reason recoil sensitive they made a great gun for just that reason. I have long wished Ruger would make the LCPII in .32. Wife LOVES them in .22. She well carry and practice with one. The .380 version I carry she not only can not rack the slide, she will not fire it. In .32 it would be a sweet compromise that sadly probably will never be :(
We do not want to talk of how many .32 acp guns I have. I am a huge fan. I actually do not have an answer as to how many I have off the top of my head, but I have a bunch of them from the great war.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top