JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad still shoots the taurus every weekend at over 50 rounds per saturday, still on the original barrel. its been solid.

^This.

My father owned a taurus revolver.. I shot it when I was younger and it never failed. Its held its own for years.
I suppose that was proof enough for me faith wise when I decided to buy my PT1911.. Then my PT92, 85 & 605, PT1911AR-S, g2 millennium PT140.. Ect all have never failed.

The 44 mag, 4" .357 and next 1911 I plan on buying will all probably be a taurus.

The one thing I do detest.. Those stupid safety locks. Horrid things.

Honestly the PT1911 and PT92/99 are effin awesome. I own a few taurus pistols and everything is machined perfectly and has functioned 100%.. Hipoint on the other hand works but the mags have issues from time to time.. And they are bulky as hell.
But they make great truck/shower firearms.

'Shower firearm'?

'Shower firearm'?
You caught that! Yes. Tested a marine spray for fun with a hipoint while taking showers. Inside the shower and out. So long as you use a degreaser and oil after there isn't any issues, heck I skipped that altogether a few times and still no issues.
The primers or powder on one mag was 50/50 the other wolf lacquer coated ammo held up surprisingly well. All fired after. Thats why i try to collect and store lacquer ammo.

We have a diving knife right by the shower curtain.
It makes a terrific talking piece when guests use the bathroom.
And my woman doesn't mind. Haha.

You caught that! Yes. Tested a marine spray for fun with a hipoint while taking showers. Inside the shower and out. So long as you use a degreaser and oil after there isn't any issues, heck I skipped that altogether a few times and still no issues.
The primers or powder on one mag was 50/50 the other wolf lacquer coated ammo held up surprisingly well. All fired after. Thats why i try to collect and store lacquer ammo.

We have a diving knife right by the shower curtain.
It makes a terrific talking piece when guests use the bathroom.
And my woman doesn't mind. Haha.

Interesting experiment. i like the diving knife idea, maybe add a squirt gun...

My long dead father had an old Taurus .357 wheel gun that was and is accurate and reliable as most any, it was passed on to me and then to his then 18, now 32 year old grandson, and shes still going strong. The same can be said for an old 92 I've owned right out of the box, after many thousand a round, she still runs great. One of my daughters has a daily carry that's a PT 1911 that shes deadly with. This isn't to say that that I don't own many other weapons including a high end worked over and wicked slick Colt .45 ACP, I do love that girl, but am a little reluctant to carry it everywhere in the bang and clang of everyday life.

You get what you pay for I guess. In 85 I believe, the shooters bible did a side by side caparison of the Beretta and the Taurus and it was neck and neck, the nod was actually given to the Taurus for accuracy due to the tighter milling. The Beretta apparently is milled a little looser for the rigors of dirt and grime that come in the field of war. After 2000 rounds of testing the Taurus had one stove pipe, the Beretta had none. One can draw their own conclusions from tests like these, I have no way of knowing if these were hand picked models that were chosen for the test by the company's, only that the outcome was favorable for the Taurus due to pricing/accuracy. I have plenty of experience with both of these fine pistols and wont turn my nose up at either,, Highpoint I have no experience with.

As I said earlier, the Taurus is a pretty fair piece of equipment.

I consider the brand to be a middle of the road product.

Cost effective items that I can sell and feel that I have not done my client a disservice.

As a small shop, I can't afford to stock top end pistols and keep all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wrapped up in inventory, all the while waiting for just the right customer to stroll in with a fat wallet.

Sure, we do keep a few Glocks, Springfields and a Beretta or two in stock, but the vast majority of our clientele want a quality gun for home defense or an affordable carry piece that won't break the bank.

The Taurus line fills this need.
Another very good mid line of guns are provided by SCCY, BERSA AND KEL-TEC

A point we stress when advising a client that's not sure about what they want for a carry gun goes like this.

Don't carry a family heirloom, keep whatever you choose in a price range that you can afford to lose it.

Why this advice ???
If you have to use your piece in a defense shooting, it's going to end up in a police property room until any trial or investigation has been completed.

At such a time, and if you are found to have been justified in the use of your weapon, the said weapon SHOULD be returned to you.

NOW, here is where it gets if'y

That little Bersa Thunder or Taurus 605 ?????? will likely be in the property room safe and sound.
On the other hand, the lovely Custom fit Kimber Carry could very well have flown the coop, and be in the hands of someone else.

Yesssss, it does happen, nice guns do go missing from the property room.

If you can afford the custom carry or other high end piece, go for it, but you may have to replace it if you need to use it defending yourself.

WE had a client that had a lovely Colt Python wind up in a property room (Criminal broke into his house, grabbed the gun and confronted police with it)

The gun was returned 3 years later all beat to !@##$% and rusty.

Was this proper treatment of private property, certainly not, but the dept could care less about your prize pistol.

Think twice about what you are going to buy for carry.
Affordable (twice if need be)
Dependable/reliable
Concealable

The low end stuff, Raven, Phoenix, Jennings and on it goes usually wind up as street guns for the gang banger's.

They are cheap and tend to do a lot of lateral movement. (sold as straw guns)

Just food for thought

Snowy

My experience with Taurus revolvers back in the 1980s was they broke repeatedly and were poorly made. Maybe they are better now but I'll pass. And as to low point I will never buy a zinc gun again unless it's a cap gun for a child

Thanks for mentioning Bersa snowy rivers. I have both the thunder and the thunder plus. Both are very reliable and have features that many higher end weapons are sorely lacking.
I also enjoy a Walthers PPk, BUT find the little Bersa thunder .380 to be a better carry weapon. No hand pinches (good beaver tail) auto decock, double action, excellent safety that I'm not worried about carrying fully ready in a pocket and an adjustable rear sight. For those that haven't looked into them,, a lot of bang for the buck, especially if you like the PPK.

Not my daily carry and I do own a few quality handguns .
But I acquired a ( Gen2 Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro / .45 DAO stainless slide ) .
The thing runs flawless and never had a Mal. of any kind using the only ammo I have ever shot out of it ( 230 grn. round ball ) .

It really surprised me .
It's cheep handgun in price & finish and I dont think I could hold my head-up proud if I it carried as a duty or a daily carry .
It rocks hard in the hand for a small .45acp . Feels good in the hand when shooting . acceptable accuracy for compact .45 . all the crap you read about them as junk, For a Taurus, that Really Really surprised the hell out of me . It Runs like a Top

To further address the heavy slide issue.

Yes, the hi point is blow back action, but the use of zinc is not a favorable choice.

IT'S CHEAP
If zinc die cast slides were the real deal, everyone would use them rather than high tensile machined and heat treated steel.

With the straight blow back action, which also requires less machined and moving parts (cost savings) they can capitalize on the heavy zinc slide, just make it a tad heavier to allow the BB to work right.

IT'S NOT because it's a great way to build stuff, it's a way to market a low budget item.

As I said earlier, I will not sell one, and damned sure not gonna snuggle up behind one with my face right close then light it off.

Snowy

I don't think people would hate a gun that worked great and cost less money (a formula Ruger has used since day one).

Taurus earned their bad reputation in my mind. and yes I have owned them in the past

I had a beautiful model 669VR 357 Magnum with a 6" barrel, it looked like a cross between a S&W and a Python (see pic below)

it had some timing issues that were not related to the internal parts, it was the cylinder stops cut in the wrong spot.

I sent it to Taurus twice and they were unable (or unwilling) to fix it. I sold it for a loss and never bought another one.

grZxnTzl.jpg

The last taurus straw was when shooting mild target reloads a M65 .357 broke it's cylinder stop and locked the gun up so bad I had to take it to a smith to empty it so I could return it for repair. Imagine that happening as you stand toe to toe with homey the street thug and his reliable Glock

Sold all taurus and never again

Edit to say.. in the same vein we have owned (6) S & W revolvers and only one had an issue, a poorly fitted crane. One timely warranty repair and it has been GTG for 25 years now

Price and availability
WE have seen times when we would take even Rossi to keep stuff in the case.

Last winter was terrible, as you could not get anything to save yer soul.

Rugers are great, at times you can't get one.

We sell the Taurus 738 in place of the LCP when they are not available

Very similar, and the 738 works fine.

Snowy

I was researching revolvers last week and warned off Taurus; supposedly people have had them fall apart in competition shooting. I imagine they hold up fine for a 'normal' user, but putting tens of thousands of rounds through one is asking too much.

I chose a S&W 686+ instead, I'm told they will also hold their resell value better, which is true if the gun auction sites are anything to go by.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top