JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I look to buy firearms one question I ask myself is how well established they are, and will they still be in business in 10 years. I stay away from companies that are constantly trading hands. When bean-counters run the show, quality tends to be "cost valued" out. Case in point pot metal slides.

Yup, you are right on bro

Bean counters always foul things up.

Pot metal (die castings) are not something that belongs on a slide.

Certain non critical items can be die cast, but the use of pot metal is just a recipe for disaster.

Jennings pistols were a big hit with those looking for CHEAP guns.
A fellow that used to frequent the local shows used to sell those things by the case full.

Just bad ju ju

I am a firm believer in Capitalism.
Under Capitalism there will be products offered in every price range and a educated (smart) consumer will be able to buy goods that fit his/her income from shoes to houses.
The Key Term is educated.
so your saying because they are not high priced they are not worth owning?? do you shoot a kimber or something even more expensive

Hi point use a die cast slide.
They use Zinc alloy for this, which is not nearly as sturdy as a good quality alloy steel or stainless.
I will not sell or shoot any pistol with a Zinc die cast slide.
Taurus had some crap early on, but today, their quality is very good.
ok there is the very first reason i have ever seen that made any sense at all , thankyou snowy

The guns he mentioned are zinc. Zinc wears quickly and yes I own several Jennings 22s (same, basically) which after 500 rds became jammomatic paperweights waiting for the right gun buy back :s0114: My humor will be missed so my comments about using them to make bullets was a reference to how soft zinc is

The Taurus revolvers I mentioned repeatedly failed beginning at less than 300 rds

so your saying because they are not high priced they are not worth owning?? do you shoot a kimber or something even more expensive

I didn't read that into his post, what I read was more to the effect that you do your homework and you'll find the true deals out there. That's the beauty of competition. If there were only one manufacturer out there, they could charge whatever they wanted and we would have no choice. Damn I love the USofA!

I do not own a hi point, and cannot comment..
I have close to 5000 rounds through my taurus since i bought it revolver, and the only problem i have ever had was with primers not flush on my reloads,,, it shoots like a dream

Thank you

I have been in the biz a long time, and I have seen the Ford, Doge Chevy game in all it's ugliness.

I want reasons before I call smack down.

Sure there are some guns I don't care for, but just because I don't like it does not make it junk.

As mentioned, the zinc alloy stuff is low budget stuff.

I am not a fan of Kimber, why ? not because it's junk, certainly not, it's too pricey for what you get.

I am a Glock freek, I admit it, but I like Springfield XD as well.

Having been in the biz sooooo long, there is little that excites me much.

The 500 Smith is a great gun, but I don't want one, they are brutal to shoot, and spendy too.

I really want a 50 Desert Eagle, I had a few go through the shop used and never kept one.

Currently my personal stable is lean, with my 738 Taurus and the 32 Glock as my two fav carry pieces.

I can have anything I want, and there is little that cranks my handle, but that does not mean the stuff is junk.

I have a cute little AMT backup 380 that I mentioned as stolen 10 years ago and recently returned.
This is A COOL little gun, fairly well made too. STAINLESS construction.

I don't get all wound over every new gizmo that comes along, but I do think the little Glock 42 is a nice addition to the Glock stable of offerings.

Just some old witch thoughts.

:s0114::s0112::s0114:

Snowy

I am a firm believer in Capitalism.
Under Capitalism there will be products offered in every price range and a educated (smart) consumer will be able to buy goods that fit his/her income from shoes to houses.
The Key Term is educated.

I was a wounded Bystander on the only two occasions I witnessed a Tarus fired.
The only person I knew that owned a PT-92 experienced Two NDs w/ the gun on Safe when it was dropped. (Yeah STUPID, but a 1911 would not have fired)

My personal belief is that the minds that 'created' the problem cannot 'solve' the problem. Has Tarus been Completely Transformed?
I await your review.

who here remembers the o3a3 that have low ser#s taht are not safe to shoot?
did no springfield to better later and all of the guns they produce shoot just fine? yet no one say watch out for springfields do they???

taurus used to have crap but a few years back i got a pt99 and was impressed with it
solid fit and finish and no matter what i fed it not a single FTF FTE in the few 1,000 rounds i sent down range.
years later i bought a RIA 1911 as every one was raving about them,,,,,,
best shot group i could get was 6" at 21 feet replaced the safety because it was not harded right and was peened over to where it would come out of safe with shaking the gun,,,,,,,,, got tid of it and picked up a PT1911 and pout of the box it had all teh stuff people have to pay to get put on the RIA's and the PT1911 out of the box @21 feet held a group of about 3" and after 1,000 rounds no FTF or FTE so i know have two
one with rail one without.

I've had the opportunity to work with 2 licensed (FFL) dealers over the years. We (as Snowy mentioned above) would not deal in hi-point weapons. I've never personally even held one and have no personal inklings to do so.

That being said we did deal with about everything else and Taurus was the one we had the most issues with and at times were even forced to buy back the weapons because of the terrible customer service of the Taurus line. Been a few years back since those experiences, but it tainted me as a consumer and I resisted and urge to ever buy one and I have considered it based solely on price. When that thought crossed my mind I (using my internal voice) verbally assaulted myself using fairly graphic language. That was all that was usually required to get that crazy impulse out of my head.

Bought a shot out HP C9 for $65. Put about 30 rds through it and the frame started chipping. Sent it to HP as machine parts via UPS $16. Two weeks later I had a new C9 delivered to my door via Fedex, no charge. Pretty hard to find a warranty that good. Polished the feed ramp and slide and put several hundred rounds through it with no problems. Don't own one anymore, but if the right deal came up. I'd buy another.

Here was my Taurus, I still have my hand thank God. But I will never shoot one ever again.

gun3.jpg

gun2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top