JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really don't get the reputation that they have. I have a Taurus 709 slim in stainless and it is a fantastic weapon, great trigger, nice and compact, a real safety, and never fails to bang, and the company has fantastic customer service. My pistol a slight kink in the recoil spring (don't know if it was liek that when i bought it but it never affected how it shot I just wanted one that wasn't kinked) and they got one to me right away. I shot my brother in laws hi point 9mm carbine and I am not kidding you it was awesome, it is crazy to be ringing steel at 100 yards with a 9mm. I have also heard they have fantastic customer service.

Honestly the PT1911 and PT92/99 are effin awesome. I own a few taurus pistols and everything is machined perfectly and has functioned 100%.. Hipoint on the other hand works but the mags have issues from time to time.. And they are bulky as hell.
But they make great truck/shower firearms.

I forgot to mention I own a PT145 MilPro and like it just fine, except for the Heine crazy-8 sights it came with. It's exceptionally comfortable in the hand, looks good, is well made, and have never had an operational/functional problem with it.

:s0155:

That is a good question. No doubt some can cite issues that have come up with these guns. But honestly, I've seen reports of failures from pretty much any manufacturer. For those that will look honestly at the operation of these firearms, it's hard to say they don't have a place. Maybe they don't have the fit and finish of a high-end 1911 or the reputation and endless array of accessories, but if they work and are reliable (which some will debate), then they really don't deserve the bad reviews many get them. I dare say that at least some who vilify them have likely never owned or shot them. It's probably never going to change. Guns, like cars and other things have their die-hard followers, who then sometimes like to pick on the little guys.

I'm not here to debate these guns against their more expensive counterparts, but these little guys are sticking around for a reason. If they really were as bad as some people make them out to be, they'd be gone by now.

I wish I still had my 709 Slim. In fact I try to keep an eye open here for a used one to replace the one I got rid of. It seems like calling modern Taurus firearms crap would be like calling modern Japanese products crap because they were crap in the 1960s.

I've shot pt92's that would not feed. I have heard alright things about the pt1911... I will say, the billboard on the slide is a little much. (But that's personal preference)
My buddy has a .40 slim that he seems to like.

As far as hi-point, I think everyone needs one for the price they sell for. I've got one, I've shot a few that buddies have, we are all in the same boat on those guns... Cheap, ugly, un balanced, never had a single issue with any of them.

Just my .02

I have three PT-145's, haven't had any problems.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I don't really put Hi-Point and Taurus in the same category but i really like my Taurus 605. Accurate, tight and great trigger - but then it was a 'free' gun so i don't have a vested interest to pit any of it's shortcomings against but so far there are none,

Ive owned a few taurus pistols they were fine guns definatley not cheap anymore though had a high point carbine bought used broke the trigger and thru the gun in the trash wish i wouldnt have known about their warranty back then lol

I repair guns pretty much for a living! I have thousands of guns logged into and out of my books. Not one Hi Point has come in for repair. I saw one at one time that had been forgotten in a cooler that sat out in the rain, after 6 months it was found. Locked up tight, from rust. Hi Point sent the guy a new pistol.

Taurus, Ummm well not so much, broken safeties, out of time, lots of broken sights. They pump out allot of firearms, and their QC dept not the best. I have seen enough to make me not trust my life with one.

Taurus has history going against them, they may have gotten better, but it doesn't matter to me. Seen too many broken ones. I'll never pay money for one.

Hipoint guns rank in with lorcin, davis, raven. Junk.

Both companies go after the low price market share, there will always be a demand for them. Personally I would rather go without a little longer and buy a better quality firearm.

I'm not a hater by any means on either Taurus or Hi Point. My wife has a Hi Point carbine and its a blast to shoot, though ugly as heck. I personally wouldn't consider it "junk" or garbage, but when you look at a Hi Point carbine or any of their pistols and hold it up to my Beretta 92, its no contest who wins the beauty pageant. Like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.
As far as Taurus weapons go, never owned one, but I will say all the shops in my area have a pretty low opinion of them merely because they get an inordinate amount of warranty issues with Taurus, some of those issues catastrophic failures that make me wonder if the user still have all of their fingers.....

I've carried and shot my Taurus CIA .357mag for a few years now. Installed hogue grips and got the trigger smoothed out some and it runs like a dream.

(I did have the timing checked and it's good, but I've heard that is a crap shoot..so I got lucky)

I like it, but I will probably upgrade to a stainless 4" Smith and Wesson when I can afford it.

I'll keep the Taurus when I do though. It's great.

Funny, yesterday was me and the lady's anniversary. She got me a tauras pt1911. I couldn't believe it! She said she knew that I really liked 1911's and wanted to get me another one. She said she was looking at the kimbers but $1100 was a little steep lol. After I shoot it I'll repost and give my opinion, hard to think it'll shoot as well as my colt but I'd assume it will be decent.

Funny, yesterday was me and the lady's anniversary. She got me a tauras pt1911. I couldn't believe it! She said she knew that I really liked 1911's and wanted to get me another one. She said she was looking at the kimbers but $1100 was a little steep lol. After I shoot it I'll repost and give my opinion, hard to think it'll shoot as well as my colt but I'd assume it will be decent.
They've outshot my kimber.. Well past kimber.
And a few 1911s to boot.

Ive emailed them about making a compact model.. No response.
But even still, Id trust my life to a PT1911 and Id be more than happy to stack it up against of
Other 1911s.

(If you want to sell it, Ill buy it. :))

Taurus' chief problem seems to be one of quality control. Followed by customer service. I cannot tell you that from experience, only what I read. My experience is the opposite. I have an old PT92 thats fired many thousands of rounds over 25 years or so. No problems and very few malfunctions. Those were caused by some floor sweepings reloads. I prefer its frame mounted safety over the slide mounted safety on the Beretta. If it werent so damn big Id use it as a cc gun.
the finish on some (but not all) Taurus models I have seen wasnt the best but then they dont cost $1000 either. As for HiPoint, they are ugly, brick heavy, unbalanced, the pistols cant safely be carried with a round chambered, and they seem to be made of zinc or similiar. However they are cheap and do seem to go bang when they are supposed to. That makes up for a lot and also makes it possible for even the very poor to own a gun.

I am a firm believer in Capitalism.
Under Capitalism there will be products offered in every price range and a educated (smart) consumer will be able to buy goods that fit his/her income from shoes to houses.
The Key Term is educated.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top