JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was asked. Also was asked "why a gun that only holds 2+1 rounds". Well, the 460 sits at the apex of power of commercial cartridges, eclipsed by the 700 NE., 7,000-8,000 ft lbs of energy is incredible. Capable of penetrating over a meter of meat after passing through a thick hide. Of course the rifle it's chambered for, the mark v weatherby, is a legend capable of handling 200,000 c.u.p. (All others max out at less than half that, 90,000). Of course having a gun bigger and more powerful than yours is a guy thing. Practical? Meh, depends on what use you put it to. As an anti materiel round? Stop a civilian vehicle easily. As a demoralizing anti personel round? When your buddy has his head turned into red mist and flying "brain and bone bits" ( trademarked ). What could be more demoralizing?
I was looking at 50bmg rifles, but they strike me, as mostly crude and stupid expensive.

So I was asked. Also was asked "why a gun that only holds 2+1 rounds". Well, the 460 sits at the apex of power of commercial cartridges, eclipsed by the 700 NE., 7,000-8,000 ft lbs of energy is incredible. Capable of penetrating over a meter of meat after passing through a thick hide. Of course the rifle it's chambered for, the mark v weatherby, is a legend capable of handling 200,000 c.u.p. (All others max out at less than half that, 90,000). Of course having a gun bigger and more powerful than yours is a guy thing. Practical? Meh, depends on what use you put it to. As an anti materiel round? Stop a civilian vehicle easily. As a demoralizing anti personel round? When your buddy has his head turned into red mist and flying "brain and bone bits" ( trademarked ). What could be more demoralizing?
I was looking at 50bmg rifles, but they strike me, as mostly crude and stupid expensive.

Haven't you seen what a single 5.56 can do to a human bicep? Picture 29 more follow-ups…. :D

774F9A26-4CA8-496B-97E6-A2AB6E092EC3.jpeg

Nothing wrong with wanting or getting a Weatherby rifle in .460 Weatherby .
Get what you like.

With that said...
Some things to consider when buying a firearm are :
The usefulness of that firearm for your purposes...
And
Ammo or reloading cost / availability...
Are they worth the time and expensive...?
Andy

A 460 Weatherby pales in performance comparison to a 700 NE or 50 BMG round.

I think the classic is the African PH, when asked why he carried a 700 NE, replied, "because I couldn't find anything bigger".

I don't :confused:. I had an unbraked 338 Rum at one point and realized I was developing a flinch, so down the road it went. I let a very accurate cz 375h&h slip away when I realized I probably would not do an African safari. I kind of wish I had kept that one.

Well, if you aren't planning a dangerous game hunt, there are less expensive options for turning a guy's head into red mist. Finding and affording that 460 Weatherby ammo is the biggest problem.

.50 BMG ammo is far more readily available, cheaper and harder hitting. Yes, the Guns are more expensive and less aesthetically pleasing. But for your described task, its the best option.

Placement trumps caliber.

Bullets matter more than headstamps.

I saw a vid on YouTube of a guy shooting a white tail doe through the ribs with a 50 BMG and she took off running. I'll try to find it.

Last Edited:
I don't understand the premise for this thread. Are you trying to sell us on the 460 WBY as a military arm? What they use has zero influence on what I use. The needs are completely different. The 5.56 is just as useless to me as a super-magnum anything.

Anti material? I can't eat a car. Being that I don't hunt game larger than moose, I still haven't found a reason to replace my 30-06.

So, WTF are you trying to arrive at here?

First world problem….

Which over the top ridiculous cartridge should I get….

Here's my .460 Wby story.......

In the early '90s I worked the gun counter at Larry's in Oregon City. Someone traded in a Mark V chambered in .460 along with a box of ammo missing one single round. In hindsight, that single round should have been a huge red flag.

Fast forward a couple weekends, A bunch of us from the store are at Squaw Mt. behind Estacada for an afternoon of shooting. We brought along the Mark V for what we called "Test and Evaluation". Me, being the manly type, volunteered to try it first. I loaded up three rounds, aimed at a large stump, pulled the rifle in tight and touched it off.

Pain is sometimes described using the 1 to 10 scale with 1 being mild and 10 being unbearable. I would put the recoil impulse of that cartridge at about a high 6 to low 7. I had previously shot the .458 Win on another outing. Take that recoil and double it to get an idea of the .460.

After the intense pain in my shoulder subsided, I gave thumbs up to my co-workers and fired off the remaining two rounds. Two days later I had to go see a chiropractor.

There is a reason why professional hunters in Africa won't let their clients use it.

-E-

When they classify your 50bmg a destructive device or outlaw any 50, like California. I'll still have my "hunting gun". No I am not trying to present it as a military arm, but one that can fill a number of roles besides hunting.

I rock a .375 Web Magnum, that sucker rocks you with 55 Foot Pounds Recoil, enough to HURT you permeant if you don't get it set to your shoulder proper, even the mighty .338 Lapua Magnum with out brake doesn't hit you that hard, both would do the job you seek at a much lower price, and BOTH are well known for much longer range accuracy too!

They make a drop in .416 Barrett upper if .50bmg gets outlawed. Not worried. You have my support. I bought my big damn gun because I wanted it. You don't need another reason at all

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top