JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually enjoy it!

But it has to be done when it 'fits' into my schedual. So I don't often come home from a day of shooting and sit down to the solvent.

But, like others, I enjoy watching the tube while cleaning.

:s0155: Hint:
Some have said that the small parts can be a problem. No one knows 'that' as well as I do!! So, I bought a magatized metal 'parts' tray from automotive department of Bi-Mart. Stainless, plastic, wood and aluminum doesn't 'stick' well, but all the metal parts stay nicely in the tray, even if it gets knocked off the table. :D

Frog.

Of course. It is part of one's responsibilities. Much like sharpening one's knives or taking out the garbage.

You (directed at the general audience, not the OP or anyone else in particular) can be bratty your whole life, or you can simply do what needs to be done and find a way to make it enjoyable and, like the hippies used to say, "life affirming".

Choose to make it "enjoyable". Because you don't really get a choice once you decide to really be responsible. Besides, your life may depend on it.

Much like being married and being a father, I would say.

Like it? Not exactly the words I'd use, but do it, yes, same day as shooting, always.

On my AR it's a two-day deal, letting the Hoppe's Copper solvent work overnight in the bore after cleaning all the other parts, then finishing up with another go-round on the barrel. Pistols get the one treatment unless something looks funny.

Seems like 1-hour shooting = 2-hours cleaning, but it goes with the territory. It's a very good bet that when somebody pulls the trigger on one of mine, it will go bang.

;)

I used to really enjoy cleaning.

When we started leaving the house for a weekend long shoot and taking 10 guns with us, it became a chore that I no longer enjoyed.

Here was my fix, ( this is not a plug either ) I duracoated all of our guns. You can do the same with some of the other stuff out there if you don't want to pay someone to "paint" your gun. Now when we get home, I can simply rinse out my guns and run a bore snake down the pipe. They are always clean and always ready to go.

I do take alot of time with my Mosins though since the corrisive ammo and all. They get around 30 minutes each.

I also take alot of time with my hunting rifle. It has been duracoated, but I like to know that she is ready to go after sitting in the safe for months on end.

BIGFOOT

I enjoy it when its 3 or 4 guns, anything more than that and it becomes a chore. I usually just do 1 or 2 a night until they are all beautiful if I take out a bunch.

One funny thing I have noticed is everyone is quick to shoot my guns but I am alone at the cleaning party:huh:

I have no problems with cleaning my tools after I'm finished using them.

I don't enjoy it as much as I used to thanks to an old 1st Sgt I had in the 82nd. I was in an infantry line company (3/504th PIR) and we had to clean our weapons all day long to give us something to do since we didn't have details, area beautification, guard duty, training. We drew our weapons around 9 am to start cleaning them. Top was peeved about something so by 10 pm we were getting sick of cleaning and standing in line for inspection. I had my M-16 broken down to a stripped lower and just the barrel and gas tube on the upper. I cleaned the bajesus out of it with solvent and CLP. Top said it was dirty since it still smelt like carbon. I then went back to my room for the 12th time and gave my breech 2 shots of Drakar Noir (this was back in 91) and went back to the 120 man line to wait for inspection. I get to the front an hour later and hand my weapon to Top. He sniffed it and I wish I had a camera for the confused look on his face. He said, "WTF is this??" to which I replied, "It's clean now Top, it doesn't smell like carbon anymore." Top replied, "WTF is this???" so I relented and said that it's cologne and now it doesn't smell dirty. Needless to say Top flipped a gasket when the whole company burst out with laughter. Top didn't think it was amusing so I got to low crawl around the barracks and reclean my weapon to get the dirt out of it and the cologne. We finally got released around 1 am. I was glad that the CO made sure that that never happened to us again.

Ive been shooting for 20 years and i still start cleaning as soon as i get home and put away all my stuff. I take up 5 plus firearms every time i go up and i still clean them all from to to bottom. The only thing i dont like is the smell of #9 and the headach it gives me.....

For those who dont clean thier firearms...... GET STAINLESS 90% of all my firearms are stainless and the other 10% are blued and getting traded outa my collection. We live in oregon and blued guns dont like the rain:)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top