JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like you have a whole new world of shooting opening up for you Pops1911...:D

As for which pump action is "best"...well as you can see by the replies we all have our favorites and with good reason.

I myself favor the older 870 Wingmasters...if only 'cause it was my first gun...still have it and shoot it ... its a 20 gauge from 1962.
DSC06606.jpg

That said there is nothing wrong with :
Winchester models '97 , 12 and 25...
Ithaca model 37
Mossberg 500 series...
High Standard's Flite King series...

Any of the above make for a excellent shotgun ..some may be prettier than others ...and we will always argue over which is the smoothest action or easiest to use..,Some will have more parts available ...but all work as a shotgun should.
Andy

I keep talking myself out of trading away my 870 express magnum (several mods. Shell Saddle, hogue pistol grip and forend, extended mag).

Originally thought it was a police magnum due to mods and the convenient placement of shell Saddle right over the rollmark. Took it off to clean and noticed it. I love it! Still intrigued by the tac 14 though.

I carried an 870 in Marine security forces when an M16 was prohibited due to the proximity of a certain type of materials (I can neither confirm nor deny blah blah blah), but when I bought my first shotgun I got a 500.*

I toted that thing all over AZ and OR (20+ yrs) on a battered M1 sling/belt that a Marine buddy of mine used at Camp Perry in the 80s... until my now EXwife sold it out from under me while I was on the road. It took a lot of searching to find a wood-stocked replacement 500 but the leather sling is irreplaceable and Dave is gone :(

I've been sorely tempted by some of the wood-stocked 870 police trade-ins I see... the older ones feel like the action is on ball-bearings.
I have no need... I just waaaaant one.

*ETA: actually, first was a single shot H&R 12ga, but who's counting?

Sure do wish Mossberg would slicker up the action on their 500's that's the one thing I really like about the 870's they are like greased lightning and they don't shake rattle and roll like a Mossy. I actually prefer the Mossy because of the tang safety, good for working lefty or righty as the situation requires! My 97's don't have safeties, not a bad thing, but needs to be considered, but what they do have is both a Mag cut off and the ability to slam fire, two VERY useful features to have!

I have heard this. But why? As near as I can tell, mine is identical to a police magnum, with heavy springs and milled receiver, as well as all of the police internals, with the exception of a jlock safety that I replaced.

New ones have plastic trigger controls and guard. Aren't quite as rock solid as the all metal ones.

Mine functions flawlessly none the less.

I'm buying a single shot tonight even though I own many shotguns (some are heirlooms). My wife asks me WTF I need another shotgun for...

I replied, "Cuz I don't have one like the one I'm buying".

I have a fetish with shotguns. They are generally cheap for the quality you get and are so useful for almost everything.

Plus shooting them always makes me grin;).

I have heard this. But why? As near as I can tell, mine is identical to a police magnum, with heavy springs and milled receiver, as well as all of the police internals, with the exception of a jlock safety that I replaced.

The Remington 870 Express has a plastic trigger group and magazine retention system. There is even some internal metal injection molded parts in the Express, such as the extractor part.

The Police and Wingmaster weapon's extractor is milled and it contains no MIM parts whatsoever.

The Police and Wingmaster get the most thorough inspection that you can imagine. Everything from the internal parts to the finishing of the weapon is inspected.

I've also seen the Express ejectors come off the receiver.

Last Edited:
New ones have plastic trigger controls and guard. Aren't quite as rock solid as the all metal ones.

Mine functions flawlessly none the less.

I'm buying a single shot tonight even though I own many shotguns (some are heirlooms). My wife asks me WTF I need another shotgun for...

I replied, "Cuz I don't have one like the one I'm buying".

I have a fetish with shotguns. They are generally cheap for the quality you get and are so useful for almost everything.

Plus shooting them always makes me grin;).

I can definitely verify that. One of the big reasons j lock went buhbye

The Remington 870 Express has a plastic trigger group and magazine retention system. There is even some internal metal injection molded parts in the Express, such as the extractor part.

The Police and Wingmaster weapon's extractor is milled and it contains no MIM parts whatsoever.

The Police and Wingmaster get the most thorough inspection that you can imagine. Everything from the internal parts to the finishing of the weapon is inspected.
Good to know.
I'm pretty certain that most of the internals were upgraded on this one. Only internal plastic that I have noticed is the shell follower. I purchased it used through Ryan Judy sporting goods at a gun show last November, and although it was in rougher shape than now (some surface rust, very dirty) I got it for a good price, good enough that I felt guilty once I got it home.

Sounds like you have a whole new world of shooting opening up for you Pops1911...:D

You are absolutely correct Andy. I still find it fascinating that my old 68 year old 870 has captured my fancy and stoked my imagination. Gotta be a message in there for me somewhere but I haven't figured it out yet. I have started shopping around now for accessories to hang on it. The problem being that the gun is perfect as it is. As soon as the new 18.5" barrel arrives it will begin its new assignment as the home defense armament. I'm considering adding a light to it and a stock attached elastic bandoleer thingy for extra on board ammo. Oh, another reflection is that for being 68 years old it really wasn't all that dirty. Heck I dirty firearms up worse than that in a week end's range trip. I was flirting with the idea of the Extar ep45. That's definitely off the table now.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top