JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
870.JPG

This is the finished 870. 68 years old and still looking good!

I have two 870's. One I got in 1970 when I was in the army, 20 inch improved cyl. bbl. with rifle sights, takes 2-3/4 in. shells. It's got the plain police wood on it, says Wingmaster. The other one I bought not long ago, about the same vintage as my first one. Police wood, 18 in. cylinder bore bbl., these used to be called riot guns.

Not too long ago I had some additional security lights installed. One night shortly thereafter, one of the lights came on in the early AM hours, without even thinking about it, I grabbed one of the 870's. I later wondered to myself, "Why didn't I go for a pistol?" Instinct.

UPDATE: After trying out several styles of defensive shot shells I have found the one that works best for my/our needs. I started out with some Federal Magnum 00buck with 12 pellets. Wow! Those were way too snappy through the new short barrel. Even the wife declined to shoot any of those and she shoots anything. Settled on Fiocci 00buck - 9 pellets - low recoil LE loads. Very soft shooting with 1150 ft/sec loading. Even the wife said that she enjoyed shooting these. That finally sealed the deal for defensive ammo and the 870. At about 10 yards these shells create one hole about the size of my fist. Will do fine around our house and environs.

I have had good luck with Fiocci ammo as well...good know on their Buckshot ammo.
Just traded for a 1981 Wingmaster "Police" 870...and was just thinking of what ammo to try...Thanks Pops1911....:D
Andy

Ya'll can easily tell from my forum name that shot guns are not my primary source of firearms delight. Back in the late 1970's I inherited a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12ga. Never really used it much. Yes, I did take it out in the field for dove, quail and pheasant but only a small hand full of times. Mostly I drug it from town to town with job relocations and kept it in a series of closet corners. Honestly the last time I had it out for its intended use was probably 6 years ago when I needed to dispatch a feral rooster who had been causing a ruckus with my chickens. Tasted good too. I did run a mop down the barrel after that successful hunting expedition but little else.
Recently I have been, thanks to some of our forum members, reconsidering my home defense options. I dug the old shotty out of the safe and did a little research on it. Come to find out it is dead simple stupid easy to change barrels on this one. Even for me! Additionally the serial number revealed that is was manufactured in February of 1950! Someone writing this post has the exact same birthday!! It was a sign. I have ordered an 18.5 inch new barrel from Midway thinking the shorter barrel and 00buck would mount a fairly effective in-house defense if needed. After watching several youtube videos on disassembly/reassembly I decided that I could manage that. The gun was very dirty [no rust] but with some Hoppe's Gun Medic, q-tips and toothpicks it cleaned up really nice. Feeling almost embarrassed that it has been so neglected over the years.
I can state now from today's experience that the 870 is mechanically so much more straight forward than my 1911s. So, when is that UPS truck supposed to arrive here?

I also had an 870 Wingmaster as a young man and over the years of traveling it was brought out occasionally to fight off a little surface rust, shot, cleaned and again placed in its Scabbard for more years of solitude.
Amazingly it still functions very well as a scatter gun for ducks and geese but have since retired it (and myself) from those cold wet days in the blind, duck boat and muddy fields.
Like yours it was born in January 69 11 years my Jr., I replaced the 28-inch barrel with an 20 inch model for HD and it now resides close to my bed in case the zombies come to play.
Excellent story pops I love reading these kind of life experiences.;)

That'll do it. I like #4 because you get lots more respectable sized pellets down range. But ain't nothing wrong with the classic either! :)

I still have some #2 & BBB goose loads, yeah they are stainless steel and not lead but if it'll kill a goose at 40 yards out it will do one helluva number on an intruder in less than 10.

I do have over 100) 9 pellet double-ought buck shells but I'm saving those for the real apocalypse....;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top