JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The company I worked for previously was privately owned when I started and corporate/investment group owned when I walked.
As it started, I bought and sold guns with my boss and other employees. Back then fanny pack carry was common and I rode a motorcycle to work. Every day I would walk in with my fanny pack and would stash it in my toolbox. As my position in the company and the company itself changed, my handgun was left in the vehicle, just because it was convenient. When company policy changed to where even having it in my vehicle was grounds for termination, I'd leave it in my vehicle any way. When my 2A employees asked me what they should do, I told them they could get fired for bringing it into the building..... And kind of left the rest up to them. I figured company policy was a terrible reason for anyone to be disarmed.
These days I work for a small shop. I've brought a gun or two in for "show and tell", but usually leave them in the truck. It's known that I carry, as does the boss. Some weekend days when I am cleaning parts and bench working, I will carry, but normal working days a gun on my waist would be very uncomfortable. Guns and gun talk are not forbidden. Guns are found in all of our homes.
I don't make a much money as others in this world, but I really enjoy the personal freedoms that go along with my job.

What are the chances that I will have to use my firearm to defend my life at work, at my desk, in a low-crime area with a police response of a minute versus the chance that something might happen and my firearm would be discovered and I would be terminated immediately and lose my livelihood and my retirement?

The math is not supporting your accusation.

Do they search you at work? Do you have to pass through metal detectors? If not you are saying you are not able to not tell others or show others you have a gun? Do you carry after work? If so you now and then what just drop your gun on the floor? If none of these fit you how is it they are going to find your gun at work?

Do they search you at work? Do you have to pass through metal detectors? If not you are saying you are not able to not tell others or show others you have a gun? Do you carry after work? If so you now and then what just drop your gun on the floor? If none of these fit you how is it they are going to find your gun at work?

I stand by my assertion that carrying a handgun in business attire has a high degree of probability that it would be detected. Especially when my boss is a former FBI agent and FBI HRT member.

And that probability far exceeds the chance that I would ever have to use said firearm to defend my life.

I stand by my assertion that carrying a handgun in business attire has a high degree of probability that it would be detected. Especially when my boss is a former FBI agent and FBI HRT member.

And that probability far exceeds the chance that I would ever have to use said firearm to defend my life.
<shrug> you must wear some skin tight clothes and or your boss is VERY handsy. I hope he is at least buying you breakfast before he starts grabbing your junk.

I have been in healthcare administration for a very long time, and 'no weapons at work' to include firearms, knives, and pepper spray is a pretty common policy at most healthcare facilities. It is usually grounds for immediate termination if you are caught. I think of this as I am commuting 45 miles each way via car and public transit. My car is at the park and ride at least an hour away from the office.

<shrug> you must wear some skin tight clothes and or your boss is VERY handsy. I hope he is at least buying you breakfast before he starts grabbing your junk.

Explain to me how you propose to conceal a S&W M&P40c wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt and tie? IWB, the gun is still visible. OWB, the gun is obviously visible. Won't fit in an ankle holster.

I often am climbing ladders to service cameras, or access roofs, working on electrical panels, etc. This is not a job that I sit at a desk all day.

The Big B forbids carry on company property in WA, allows it in cars in AZ. I did not carry on my person at work - left it in the car.
On the way to work one morning I had a cretin give me the road rage thing from a company truck. When I got to work I called the number on the truck door and told them it didn't look good on them to have their employees giving the finger and screaming obscenities from a company vehicle. He said thanks and he would talk to the moron. I told him to mention to the clown that the next time he pulls that crap on somebody who packs a .44 Mag as a car gun they might not be as sane as I am. :)

I've carried where the "no guns on premises" signs are blaring obvious.
My CC wear is adjusted based on duties during the time, weather, and my conscience.
It's up to you to decide the risk.
I go about my business as expected.

I want to live and value my life...
Where I teach , if I were to carry , I would lose my job.

Times are still tough and it can be difficult to get a job...It is easy to say "Get a new job"...or "Carry anyway"...Until you actually lose your job and scramble to make ends meet , keep your house , pay bills...

I am not here to say do this or do that...Just pointing that some folks need to keep the job they have.

That said ...
I will do what is needed to keep my students safe...which may mean at times to go with whatever plan or policy is in place...and at other times , it may require a more "out of the box" answer.
Andy

I carry at work and every where I go, with all the meth & herion use every where you go chance are you will encounter a problem some time and if you can not defend yourself you will be shets out of luck.
I don't care what the policy is. Like written in another post, there are other jobs out there.

Violence happens at job sites all the time, look at facebook a few months ago where that muslim woman went in a shot it up.

Same at church, there has been several issues at churches. One church my friend goes to has a security plan they employ.
Several members carry and they have three people who carry sit spread out by each entry point. If anything should happen they are in place to stop the threat as soon as posible.

A few yeard ago I was helping a friend pour a concrete foundation gor a garage up in Algers. About a 1/4 mile away a nut case was burgalizing a house, the home owner came home and got shot & killed, a sheriff deputy who arrives was shot & killed. He then went to the gas station out by I-5 and shot & killed some one there.
He then got in a car and went south on I-5 and shot & killed some one driving south on the highway.
He drove to the cop shop in Mount Vernon and gave up.
That Pos should of been shot on the spot in my oppinion.

Then there was that guy who took a 22 rifle in the mall up there in Burlington who shot & killed five people at the Macy's
If there was a Macy's employee who was armed it might have lowered the death toll.

I refuse to be a victim, i will never be a fish in a barrel. Concealed is concealed, no matter how you dress you can conceal a handgun.
One friend carries a 38 J-Frame in an ankle holster, another carries a 38 cailber darringer.

Explain to me how you propose to conceal a S&W M&P40c wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt and tie? IWB, the gun is still visible. OWB, the gun is obviously visible. Won't fit in an ankle holster.

I often am climbing ladders to service cameras, or access roofs, working on electrical panels, etc. This is not a job that I sit at a desk all day.

Used to work as a tech in a liberal news room, always had a .32 Seecamp in a back pocket. Never considered carrying something as large as a M&P40c. And yes all of the tasks you list fell upon me in addition to providing close desktop support to emotionally frail graphics artists etc. Was a fun job if one ignored the political bias.

Used to work as a tech in a liberal news room, always had a .32 Seecamp in a back pocket. Never considered carrying something as large as a M&P40c. And yes all of the tasks you list fell upon me in addition to providing close desktop support to emotionally frail graphics artists etc. Was a fun job if one ignored the political bias.

The little P-32 that Kel-Tec came out with decade or so back is great for this. Several ways to carry one that unless people at work are groping you no one is going to know it's there. When I have had to deep cover carry I used to use a NAA.22 before the Kel-Tec hit. They would not have been fast to draw. My reason was if some kook came in to shoot the place and I ended up cornered I would at least not have to sit in the corner waiting my turn to be shot.
Many are so scared of a gun they certainly should not carry. They don't scare me nearly as much as the thought of being stuck hiding somewhere waiting to see which would happen first. Kook would find me or good guys would come in. Problem with waiting for good guys is every time there is an active shooter the good guys all take up postilions outside and give the shooter all kinds of time to hunt his prey. It's often as if they are seeing if they can wait till he runs out of ammo to enter.

Times are still tough and it can be difficult to get a job...It is easy to say "Get a new job"...or "Carry anyway"...Until you actually lose your job and scramble to make ends meet , keep your house , pay bills...

I am not here to say do this or do that...Just pointing that some folks need to keep the job they have.
Not sure about anyone else but when I say if I have to use the gun I can find a new job I mean I will be alive to do so. Since no one at work is going to be getting frisky with me and sticking their hands where I carry I am not worried about being found out unless I have to use the gun. That is what I mean by after that when they fire me I can find a new job. Now if I was single and some coworkers and I were getting real friendly at lunch and such then I could see a problem but that's not happening with me. Little old and married for that stuff these days :)

The Big B forbids carry on company property in WA, allows it in cars in AZ. I did not carry on my person at work - left it in the car.
On the way to work one morning I had a cretin give me the road rage thing from a company truck. When I got to work I called the number on the truck door and told them it didn't look good on them to have their employees giving the finger and screaming obscenities from a company vehicle. He said thanks and he would talk to the moron. I told him to mention to the clown that the next time he pulls that crap on somebody who packs a .44 Mag as a car gun they might not be as sane as I am. :)

When I worked for USAA in Phoenix, they had a closed campus with armed security guards and forbid any weapons on campus; in your vehicle or otherwise.

I lived in Prescott Valley at the time and commuted 75 miles each way to work and back on I-17, one of the most heavily traveled main drug transport corridors in the country.

I kept a pistol in my vehicle and ignored company policy. No way was I going to travel unarmed every day.

I experienced road rage quite often on that drive. One time, had an obviously impaired fellow try to ram my vehicle with his vehicle. Cops never did respond to that call.

That said ...
I will do what is needed to keep my students safe...which may mean at times to go with whatever plan or policy is in place...and at other times , it may require a more "out of the box" answer.
Andy

So I suspect while reading your closing statement that one should, "read between the lines". ;)

97651E31-F4AC-4422-A0C1-53394B079818.jpeg

So I suspect while reading your closing statement that one should, "read between the lines". ;)

View attachment 583309

Much like my previous job as a soldier , where I needed to do my best to make sure the troops under my care came home...I did my job , to best of my ability and for the unique situations we might have been in...
The same goes for my students , who are also under my care...

All I can really say , over a open forum , is that , in the event of a emergency , I will do what is required of me , at that time and place to keep my students safe...be it inline with a plan or policy....or if it isn't...
When lives are on the line ....results are really the only thing that matters.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads