JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
it's his company, his rules... what gives me the right to break the rules he's instilled in the company that could potentially bankrupt it, leaving him in the gutter...

The don't ask don't tell people are talking about on here is just plain immoral. Get a frickin job that the man says it's ok to carry for cryin out loud!! I guess it's ok to potentially wreck a dream that someone has worked their entire life for? Really?

Perhaps you can show us some links to cases like this? Where an employee who was clearly violating the rules for work, brought a gun, then got the owner living in the gutter. Since there are a LOT of workplace shooting the net has to be full of these stories, correct? I could not find any but surely since you have stated this as fact you can find them for us. I will wait.
The net is an amazing collection of fantasy at times.

Yup, every day. Boss knows it, he carries every day as well. He knows my reasons too, I commute on Max every day to downtown, like Hell I'm not going to.

I have a few times mentioned a interview I did with a known holster maker here. I had no idea the Co was local until I was asked to come talk to him. When I get there I tell them why and who, while waiting I of course head to the display case they had. He comes out sees me admiring his products, said "you a shooter, what do you carry?". I of course was caught flat and hesitated, he started to laugh, I started to laugh. I said this is normally a topic I of course avoid at a job interview. I declined his offer but often wondered what would have been said if I had taken the offer. Suspect he surely would not have said by all means carry at work. Suspect he would have just not brought it up again :)

Instant termination where I work at. I asked my boss/owner of company why he implemented these rules, all the while knowing exactly what he was going say...
he looked at me as if I was the biggest smartass ever. He simply points to his plaque on the wall of his first dollar made and says"well, if you feel like destroying everything I've earned, go for it.. I dare ya"

Out of respect my parents taught me long time ago, Nuff said....

it's his company, his rules... what gives me the right to break the rules he's instilled in the company that could potentially bankrupt it, leaving him in the gutter...

The don't ask don't tell people are talking about on here is just plain immoral. Get a frickin job that the man says it's ok to carry for cryin out loud!! I guess it's ok to potentially wreck a dream that someone has worked their entire life for? Really?

As another small business owner I respect what the owner says. I dont agree with it but I respect the fact its his company and rules he puts down. He is also lucky to have an employee like you that respects his wishes.

Company policy doesn't specifically prohibit possession or carry...

I am known to carry by my coworkers who are all down with it............ but not while working. In my line of work it is possible to expose my waistband in the presence of a customer, who may not appreciate my rights.... therefore no real carry on the clock.

However, it might be possible for one to carry a very small pocket pistol without risking exposure to customers and also not even inform coworkers. Like a NAA 22mag or something. You know... just in case. But I wouldnt know anything about that

As a risk manager who deals with insurance and liability issues, here is how guns in the workplace can be viewed from the insurance and legal perspective:

https://riskandinsurance.com/workplace-violence-arming-managers/

Should Employers Allow Concealed Weapon Permit Holders To Carry Guns At Work?

https://www.bakerdonelson.com/files/Uploads/Documents/Guns_at_the_Workplace_5-520-4933.pdf

How Should Employers Treat Guns at the Workplace?

Should Employers Allow Concealed Weapon Permit Holders To Carry Guns At Work? | JD Supra

Fired For My Firearm? I'll Sue! | Insights | Foley & Lardner LLP

So as a business owner looking at it from a legal and insurance perspective, there is not a lot of upside to allowing employees to carry in the workplace, and there is a lot of actual or potential downside. In recent years, in order to get commercial general liability insurance for my healthcare facilities, the insurance company underwriters are asking more questions about workplace violence and programs designed to stop it and in some cases, they decline to provide a quote if an effective program is not in place.

Yes, always. My wife works for a florist, who carries in a shoulder harness. If that gets in the way, she (the florist) keeps her handgun next to her on the design bench. So many druggies on the Burien streets, she had to put concertina wire around her roof eaves to keep them from climbing up on nearby dumpsters to have a place to shoot up.

I do not. I work in our corporate headquarters and firearms are not allowed in company buildings or vehicles and being caught with one would be instant termination. In fact, I would be the guy they call to walk you out to your car with your box of personal items.

I wear dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. No way to conceal a handgun even if I wanted to. I have my pistol in my personal vehicle out in the parking lot where it is secured and "legal" per company regulations.

Every so often I see someone mention that they have a firearm with them at work and wonder what the circumstances are; are they defying their company policy? Or is it OK?

Just wondering how many folks actually get to carry at their job that aren't LEOs or military. Seems like there would be very few places that actually would allow employees to carry these days.
This is a public forum.........."Don't ask don't tell."

Even though it was against policy to carry at my last corporate job, I did so because I value my life and my family's livelihood over my job or the company's illogical policies. When I was in the corporate world, I found the vast majority of employees to be pretty liberal. Unless the topic of firearms was brought up, I would never introduce the topic myself. Nor would I ever mention if I exercised my concealment right. And even then, I would only confirm that I CC'd if they mentioned they did. It's just not worth letting anyone know these days unless you are 100% sure they can be trusted.

I'm out of corporate life these days, so it's a non-issue. I'd rather be over prepared and never need to use it then to be caught off guard and suffer severe consequences.

I carry at work every day. Our shop is in a light industrial zone in a depressed part of town, there are drug addicts looking to steal scrap metal and tools, several cars have been broken into and there's not much the police can do. The zombies have tried to break into the shop on several occasions but the alarm scared them off. I come into work early and sometimes I work late, I just never know when I'm going to surprise a group of bangers tagging the building. Good thing is, most of the guys here not only own guns, but also own AR's and AK's. Except for a small minority of lames we are a very gun friendly work environment.

I own my own business, so I can do as I please. However, as a chiropractor who comes in very close contact with my patients, a firearm would definitely get in the way. So it has to be stowed in my desk during working hours. I do know a massage therapist who carries a Ruger LCP in the pocket of her scrubs even while working.

When I was last employed I delivered medications in Lane, douglas and coos county...a lot of times i had heavy pain meds for hospice folks...my boss suggested that I carry and I got a pay raise when I got my CCW....

I do not. I work in our corporate headquarters and firearms are not allowed in company buildings or vehicles and being caught with one would be instant termination. In fact, I would be the guy they call to walk you out to your car with your box of personal items.

I wear dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. No way to conceal a handgun even if I wanted to. I have my pistol in my personal vehicle out in the parking lot where it is secured and "legal" per company regulations.

Every so often I see someone mention that they have a firearm with them at work and wonder what the circumstances are; are they defying their company policy? Or is it OK?

Just wondering how many folks actually get to carry at their job that aren't LEOs or military. Seems like there would be very few places that actually would allow employees to carry these days.
I have, on occasion, been known to take a firearm to a remote communications site, in the middle of the night, against department policy.
If I happen to kill a cougar that is threatening me (which has happened to others on incidents that I've worked on)...they can fire me. However, I will not go silently into that good night, and they will be talking to my lawyer.

My employer offered to pay for my CCL after a particularly challenging incident we had at the office.

Several encounters with a disturbed individual, and the last event had me in the office with him blocking the only egress and the cell towers were down.

I have carried a Leatherman OWB:) in the courthouse for years.

I would not carry a firearm in the same manner.;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top