JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
G&T's are my go-to summertime cocktail :s0133:

I usually have a bottle of the New Amsterdam vodka in the house, for shots, mixing, whatever. At $20 per handle and very good quality, it's by far the best value in vodka right now.

Agreed the GT's are a great summer drink. I like the New Amsterdam vodka as well, but think the Platinum gives it a good run for cheaper vodka. Honestly I can't see paying over $25-30 for a handle. It just doesn't get THAT much better. It can get way worse for a few bucks less, but see the gains for a $50+ handle IMO.

I don't get the vodka thing. There's like 100 different vodkas on the shelf......$100.00 for Crystal Scull!!??. The bottle worth $85.00? I need to go to a vodka tasting I guess. All I use vodka for is Bloody Mary's so I'm not tasting any difference price/quality wise for sure.

I used to drink a lot of tokillya but could never really get past the headaches. I pretty much limit my drinking now to wine with dinner, a decent lager anytime, Irish whiskey in the cold months and gin in the warmer.

I used to try and convince my self I LIKED tequila. I finally faced up to it, just don't like brown booze straight. Several years ago my local liquor store had a close-out on an $80.00 bottle of a limited run anejo for $40.00. I can't really say that I liked it, like I like gin, but it was really special compared to some of the other so-called "Premium" tequilas. To lick salt and bite lemon is for cheap tequila, like Patron, is what I learned from that $80.00 bottle.

I don't get the vodka thing. There's like 100 different vodkas on the shelf......$100.00 for Crystal Scull!!??. The bottle worth $85.00? I need to go to a vodka tasting I guess. All I use vodka for is Bloody Mary's so I'm not tasting any difference price/quality wise for sure.

Ill spend a few bucks for a quality Bourbon but for Vodka I just do the Costco KS American for like 20 a half gallon. Its really pretty good.

What......No one likes clear booze? Gin & tonic for me please, maybe a Gibson, with an extra onion, if it was a sucky day. Cheap date gin is fine, Burnetts for mixing, and a crafted gin for sipping on occasion. I tried a few spendy craft gins but prefer the $15.00 New Amsterdam if I'm going to sip. I don't do hangovers any more though.

Mike

I like clear hooch just fine, as long as it comes in a mason jar, proofs out over 130 and tastes okay.

Ill spend a few bucks for a quality Bourbon but for Vodka I just do the Costco KS American for like 20 a half gallon. Its really pretty good.

I agree, good stuff. I'm not sure if it's true, but for years I've heard that it's made by the same distillery as Grey Goose. IIRC they leave out the last three (of 8) filtering steps?

I'm with Capn Jack.
Pour the whiskey, but hold the coke.
And just a couple of small ice cubes. The damn things melt and dilute the booze!

And if you haven't tried it, pour your good whiskey in a snifter, give it a swirl, and putcher nose in it.
Then have a sip. It's delish!

I agree, good stuff. I'm not sure if it's true, but for years I've heard that it's made by the same distillery as Grey Goose. IIRC they leave out the last three (of 8) filtering steps?

My understanding is that the KS vodka is made in an old French GG distillery using the same techniques and ingredients but I am talking about the cheaper KS American Vodka which is distilled six times and is super smooth.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-American-Vodka.product.100040799.html

BTW is NWL an abandoned venture?

When I lived in San Diego I started drinking White Tequila (cheap stuff from TJ at $5 for 1,75 liter jug). The white stuff is aged less and doesn't have the old oak barrel taste that I don't like...even the cheap stuff is smooth.

1) mixed with cola and lime (Tecate libra?)
2) 2 oz. Medori/2 oz. white Tequila/grapefruit juice (Undocumented Zombie?)
3) 2 to 1 Vermouth/White Tequila with a pickled Jalapeno slice(or 3)

Whiskey is easy...
Crown Royal, glass, one cube....
.... repeat until either you, or the ice, are completely gone.

Last Edited:
I usually only drink on social occasions (and I'm generally antisocial, LOL), but I'm picking up some Corona longnecks on the way home tonight, and I intend to fill the empty necks with Chevas Regal for "in bottle" boilermakers... you know, to "ease myself" into the weekend. o_O :D

WHISKEY FOR MY MEN, AND BEER FOR MY HORSES!

Absolutely, if you like brown booze. There are so many things to affect the subtle flavors of whiskeys, bourbons, scotchs, etc. My dad was a scotch drinker. The last forty years of his life he'd pour two-three fingers with a bit of crushed ice every evening before dinner. He swore he preferred the cheap stuff over the 12 year stuff.

I like clear hooch just fine, as long as it comes in a mason jar, proofs out over 130 and tastes okay.

I'd love to find me some real corn liquor like you're talking about, just to try. All I see at my local liquor store is flavored, low test, stuff. They want something like $25.00-$30.00 for it too. Must taste like hell at 70% that it won't sell huh?

Weird. I have enough hair in my chest and back for about 5 normal people and I don't know how you guys can sip whiskey.

I always hear it's an aquired taste, I'm still waiting for it to be aquired.

I'm taking notes though.

Weird. I have enough hair in my chest and back for about 5 normal people and I don't know how you guys can sip whiskey.

I always hear it's an aquired taste, I'm still waiting for it to be aquired.

I'm taking notes though.
"It's acquired" as in "don't drink cheap ****"

A tip learned from scotch drinkers, if you want the full flavor of the whiskey, drink it at room temperature without ice. (but everyone is entitled to their own opinion) I have friends who keep their whiskey and tequila in the freezer, but that's not my style. I've tried most whiskeys from the top shelf to the bottom.
For me? Wild Turkey 101 neat. :) Might even ad a good cigar to go with it, but not if I'm in the house!

I also drink my bourbon at room temp, neat.... but I only drink GOOD bourbon. The reason people put ice in it or cut it or put it in the freezer is because they don't want the full flavor of their cheap crap whiskey.

Ended up running across Black Velvet Toasted Carmel. OMG!!! That has converted a lot of friends over too. It tastes like those soft caramel candies. Sipping on that, sitting around a campfire under the stars.... Ah life is good!!!

I'd love to find me some real corn liquor like you're talking about, just to try. All I see at my local liquor store is flavored, low test, stuff. They want something like $25.00-$30.00 for it too. Must taste like hell at 70% that it won't sell huh?

Unless you are real good friends with someone running a still, good luck finding any homemade hooch for under $25-$30 a quart around here. But it is out there, if you look hard enough. I've sampled real good tasting stuff up to 150-160 proof and just garbage, stuff that tasted worse than bottom-shelf liquors at 110-120 proof.

I'm lucky to have some extremely good friends that drop off a couple quarts or a jug from time to time. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top