JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

clear or loaded chamber while carrying?

• loaded- loaded mag in and one in the chamber

Votes: 275 86.5%
  • clear- loaded mag in but clear chamber

Votes: 43 13.5%

• Total voters
What goes around comes around. All of my merry go round is full. I can pull the trigger or I can cock the hammer and pull the trigger. Either way a ball is heading down range

Goudy: Now is it not true that you sprang up on old man Wharton and his two sons with a deadly, six shot revolver in your hand?

Rooster Cogburn: I always try to be ready.

Goudy: Was this revolver loaded and cocked?

Rooster Cogburn: Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.

I never understood why someone would carry without a round chambered, you're giving the other guy an advantage. All they have to do is point and pull the trigger; you have to draw, chamber a round, aim, and the pull trigger.

If you think carrying with a round chambered is a safety issue... you probably shouldn't even be carrying, it is obvious you're not ready.

food for thought: what says you will have your other hand to rake the slide? how many people that carry with the chamber empty practice with racking the slide with only 1 hand??? also even fore people that carry one in the chamber.

didn't see your post until after posting this dr drae

I always go with one in the pipe....way too many things to do in that split second of time, racking the slide shouldn't be one of them as I see it.

I carry loaded however I think it's better to have a firearm available than not one at all. If carrying unchambered is the only way you'll leave the house with your firearm why not?

To me, the phrase "Cocked and Locked" are words of inspiration.
That being said, if you are at all concerned, the route I went was a DA/SA pistol (Walther P99 AS). That way your first trigger pull is heavy and deliberate but all the rest are short and crisp. HK, Taurus PTseries, Sig Sauer and a lot of polymer pistols with a hammer. The P99 AS is the only striker fired pistol that is DA/SA not to mention comfy as hell :)
Be safe, stay aware...

I was shocked by how many people have answered this poll saying their chamber is empty. It may have made sense with a SAA, where it was a mechanical safety issue, but if I need to pull my gun, I want it to be ready to shoot.

I personally keep a round in the chamber. My question is this though. If you carry, all day, everyday, is it going to wear out the striker spring to have it always in a "cocked" position. I have an XD and the striker pin is always back. If I always have my magazines loaded to full and have the pistol in the cocked position, will this wear out the springs or am I just too paranoid? I know I can replace the springs in the magazines and the striker spring, but just something I was thinking about.

I personally keep a round in the chamber. My question is this though. If you carry, all day, everyday, is it going to wear out the striker spring to have it always in a "cocked" position. I have an XD and the striker pin is always back. If I always have my magazines loaded to full and have the pistol in the cocked position, will this wear out the springs or am I just too paranoid? I know I can replace the springs in the magazines and the striker spring, but just something I was thinking about.

You're fine keeping your XD cocked and mags loaded. Nothing to worry about.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top