JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're too lazy.
Waiting for you to look it up.
It took you two days ?

:)
When I moved to Oregon I called the Benton County Sheriff's Office and asked them about a few of the gun laws I knew varied from state to state. They were very helpful. And that would have been useful even if they were wrong about something. Because at least I would find out what their understanding of the law was. And I'd prefer not being charged with something, even if its not illegal and I could fight the charge and win.

As for not driving crazy saving you from ever getting stopped...riiiight. I was pulled over and charged with speeding, going more than 55 mph in that era, when I was going 40. I knew I was going 40 because I was driving a small motorhome, and it was the tail end of a storm with wind gusts that would have blown me off the road had I been going faster. The town apparently had a scam going where out of state drivers were charged with speeding whatever the speed they were going. And allowed to pay the fine on the spot to the cop. Otherwise you had to come back to the wretched state weeks later during the work week for a trial. And presumably you would lose because the court system in this town must have also been in on scam.

Only if all cops are honest and also perfect and never make mistakes does driving sensibly guarantee not being pulled over. And you can get pulled over because a tail light is out or someone stole your license plates. Foibles you're somewhat responsible for that are far less than reckless driving.

I'm not a lawyer either, but don't drive like an arse and you'll never get pulled over and wind up equivocating the finer points of perception and discretion with a patrol officer.
Driving like an arse is only one of many ways you can get pulled over. A moment of inattention, a speed trap, a mechanical failure, a poorly placed traffic control device, etc. I'm pretty sure I've been pulled over for each of those. Plus I love driving like an arse. :D

Id email your local PD and get clarification. Regardless of what any say online, each county and even staties on the hwy will have their own particular loose interpretation/definition of "readily accessible" and with some poor city ordinance wording a LOT can be left open to interpretation..
The sad part about this is if you get a response at all, what they will send you is a print out of exactly what was listed here, or a point you to the ORS#. Then if you get pulled over and for some reason some LEO does not like what you are doing you can tell them or even show them this print out and it will do zero. If for some reason they decide to cite you it will as always be up to some black robe to tell you what they "feel" the law really means.

Driving like an arse is only one of many ways you can get pulled over. A moment of inattention, a speed trap, a mechanical failure, a poorly placed traffic control device, etc. I'm pretty sure I've been pulled over for each of those. Plus I love driving like an arse. :D
A LOT of how getting stopped turns out depends on the driver and their mouth. How the driver decides to interact with the LEO can make a HUGE difference between "Have a great day and be careful" and "step out of the vehicle". ;)

Youd've been fine had you one of them calming barrels in the backseat!

A LOT of how getting stopped turns out depends on the driver and their mouth. How the driver decides to interact with the LEO can make a HUGE difference between "Have a great day and be careful" and "step out of the vehicle". ;)

Youd've been fine had you one of them calming barrels in the backseat!

Hold on Officer, let me get my calming barrel out of the trunk. I want us to get along. :D

When I get pulled over it's usually my fault. I just accept my fate and behave myself.

The sad part about this is if you get a response at all, what they will send you is a print out of exactly what was listed here, or a point you to the ORS#. Then if you get pulled over and for some reason some LEO does not like what you are doing you can tell them or even show them this print out and it will do zero. If for some reason they decide to cite you it will as always be up to some black robe to tell you what they "feel" the law really means.

Fair point. I would have assumed not on site but in court perhaps citing direct communication from the local PD could aid in the situation.. however you're right.. its most likely moot.
Sadly gun laws arent taken as seriously as they could/should be and emotions from a certain leaning judge may go in any direction.

To avoid some confusion on the forum:
Im letting folks here know, after re-reading my post it makes me sound fairly anti cop. Im truly not. Half my family are retired law enforcement.. Ive just seen quite a few misunderstandings to where Im pretty frustrated on how thing are conducted in some areas and I have a severe lack of faith in our judicial system as its become politicized and not for the betterment of freedom for citizens.

True, Im shocked at how some people take a situation to a 10 being nasty to a cop and then wonder why a leo cut them no slack.
As Dolton from Road House said "Be nice until its time to not be nice".. and even then with leos I just dont see how being a jerk helps at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top