JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another key thing is making sure your gun rides high enough to allow you to get full purchase on the firearm. I know for concealment a lot of people run their pistol as low on the belt-line to avoid "printing" which causes a slower draw time but when seated in a vehicle it becomes 100X more difficult/slow.

Stationary, most seat/shoulder belt combos will allow the person to move within its confines.

I both lean forward and across the passenger.

If the pistol is hard to access, and get the all important proper grip...try appendix.

I too am right handed, I travel with a small J frame sized revolver in a Wilderness Force Option holster tucked under my left leg. It allows easy access, and a much faster unobstructed draw, with much less bulk in the hand.

We're talking about bad breath distance, and revolvers shine in this area.
Man, I am looking forward to your vehicle course next year, sir. Happy Holidays!

Jesse

Attacker approaching the car, if I can hit the gas in any direction without mowing down bystanders, ( attacker doesn't count), then that's my plan A. That's at least probably 95% of most situations.
Window up doors locked. Otherwise seatbelt off draw and hope that's enough to make them think twice
If a carjacker has the drop on me, take the car, I'll be pissed and humiliated, but it's insured and cheaper than lawyers and suits. After any wife/kids are safely out.
If somehow they get into the car a in those tight confines I'm going to be stabbing and slashing with my knife, rather than trying to draw my gun. If I pull my gun and he has half his wits about him it's going to be a fight over control and muzzle direction.
The gun only works in the direction of the muzzle, your hand and wrist are subject to leverage, slight slide interference can keep it far enough out of battery to prevent firing or cause FTF FTEs etc. Even if by remarkable bad luck the attacker is some expert in kali or escrima, he's going to get cut. Any normal person is going to get quite cut indeed.

Drawing While Driving.jpg

Drawing while driving

Drawn while driving..jpg

Drawn while driving.

OK, SORRY! Rifleguy is going back into his hole now! :)

This month's Concealed Carry Magazine is devoted to personal defense in and around vehicles. While reading it I realized that in the 60 hours of formal defensive handgun training I've taken I've trained to draw from a seated position, but never to draw while seated in my vehicle with seatbelt fastened. Today I unloaded my gun, triple checked it clear, and proceeded to practice a few dozen draws under these specific circumstances. It was eye-opening!

The biggest takeaway for me was that while training to engage a threat approaching the passenger side I could easily put both hands on the gun while leaning into my seat with my right shoulder, but with a passenger seated next to me that is not possible without putting him or her in danger. After working through this, I realized that to engage a threat on that side with a passenger present I will need to lean forward, and draw and fire with one hand. Keep in mind that I am right-handed, so that is the perspective I'm sharing from here.

There were other things I quickly recognized as well, but this was the big one that I didn't expect and I'm interested to hear what others may have experienced and learned while training in this way, and I'm hoping that this thread encourages you to do so if you haven't already embraced this reality!
I think about this scenario every time I'm in my truck at my bank's drive-thru ATM.

interesting vid and a good starter, but gaining control of the hands and achieving mount to draw isn't as easy when the other guy isn't sitting passively in the seat....
Very true. Violence of action is key.

Just throwing it up there as something to think about. A ton of people don't even think about having to draw while buckled in. I'm guessing the majority of them would really struggle to get to their firearm.

Appendix is superior in this area.

View attachment 1776802

Drawing while driving

View attachment 1776803

Drawn while driving.

OK, SORRY! Rifleguy is going back into his hole now! :)
LOL when I first saw the thread , first thought was trying to fill out my paperwork sitting in a helicopter and eventually just giving up cause it looks like a 2 year old scribbling I have been putting my side arm in between the drive and middle seat a lot pushed in the crack forward of the seat belts seems easy access and secure enough unless I get into a head on collision of course.. then holster it when I exit vehicle thoughts?

IMG_6369.jpeg

Last Edited:
Attacker approaching the car, if I can hit the gas in any direction without mowing down bystanders, ( attacker doesn't count), then that's my plan A. That's at least probably 95% of most situations.
Window up doors locked. Otherwise seatbelt off draw and hope that's enough to make them think twice
If a carjacker has the drop on me, take the car, I'll be pissed and humiliated, but it's insured and cheaper than lawyers and suits. After any wife/kids are safely out.
If somehow they get into the car a in those tight confines I'm going to be stabbing and slashing with my knife, rather than trying to draw my gun. If I pull my gun and he has half his wits about him it's going to be a fight over control and muzzle direction.
The gun only works in the direction of the muzzle, your hand and wrist are subject to leverage, slight slide interference can keep it far enough out of battery to prevent firing or cause FTF FTEs etc. Even if by remarkable bad luck the attacker is some expert in kali or escrima, he's going to get cut. Any normal person is going to get quite cut indeed.
What blade do you carry? How do you carry it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top