JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

clear or loaded chamber while carrying?

• loaded- loaded mag in and one in the chamber

Votes: 275 86.5%
  • clear- loaded mag in but clear chamber

Votes: 43 13.5%

• Total voters
I'm all in favor of people carrying their firearm in whatever condition of readiness they please. Even if that is carrying with an empty chamber, empty mag well, with the loaded magazine in their pocket. I know the for quite a while the Israeli's have taught empty chamber carry.

However, because I follow the basic firearms safety rules, I don't feel the need to carry my firearm with an empty chamber. I am perfectly comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber in either Glock, 1911, or Kel-tec format pistols.

I would be interested to find out if anyone who prefers empty chamber carry is able to find a nationally known and respected firearms instructor, who recommends that a private citizen carrying a pistol for self protection should do so with an empty chamber. I posted this same idea on a similar previous thread, and no one was ever able to find such an instructor who would recommend empty carry.

Even in view of all this, the beauty of our system of carry is that anyone who prefers carrying an empty pistol is free to do so. I don't even care if their version of self protection is leaving their firearm at home.

A buddy of mine was a law enforcement firearms instructor. While I was watching him instruct, he admonished students to reload whenever possible. One student reholstered an empty pistol, and his statement to that student has always stuck with me.

"Do you know the primary difference between a rock and your empty pistol?
Answer: IT'S PRICE. There is little difference between an empty pistol and a rock, because either one requires you to throw it, or hit someone with it before they are of any use. If you want that pistol to be of any more use than that, load it and chamber a round!"

Just out of curiosity, how many gunfights have you been in?

My opinion, keep the chamber empty. It takes half a moment to chamber a round and be ready to go.

Half a moment?

Are you remotely serious with that comment or was I missing the humor?

Situation: (The way it actually happens in T/L with someone who wants your stuff):

You: walking down the street, talking with your GF, talking on the Cell (insert distraction).

BG: Waiting for you because he SAW you being distracted and identified you (rightly r wrongly) as "meat."

You: pass point A, at which point you are totally blindsided by BG and down on the ground, likely half-unconcsious as he TAKES your stuff.

That's how about 90% of the muggings of MALE victims go. Note that at not time during that altercation were you ever confronted, asked a question or made a demand of. You were simply attacked, from behind. Now you MIGHT be able to get a shot off at your attacker IF you are cocked and locked.

If, however, you don't have a round chambered, you're not going to get off anything other than a "frustration shot."

Tell me again about how it "only takes half a moment" to chamber a round, when under close physical attack (forget an opponent with a gun) full-stress, etc. How many times have you practiced this, with a CONCEALED weapon?

I've tried the Israeli Carry method and found it to be woefully inadequate for average citizens. I've trained hundreds of people and not ONE has ever been foolish enough, after the class, to bring up "Israeli Carry," to the class.

If a revolver is deemed safe enough to carry fully loaded, it is illogical to think that a pistol like a glock is any less safe fully loaded. In either case, all you need to do is pull the trigger.

However, I still support anyone's right to be as prepared, or unprepared as they prefer.

If someone is so uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm that they can't have a loaded chamber, it may be worth considering whether they are actually ready to carry one at all. After all, it is simply fear of the system, or fear that someone may gain access to the system that causes people to so fear a fully loaded firearm. Proper training can help immensely with most of that, but unreasonable fears will always be unreasonable.

I hate spiders, no amount of training will make me like spiders because I had a bite turn into necrotic flesh. So, as with firearms, there will be some cases where training won't make any difference. If I had shot myself in the ***, I would probably have a fear of a loaded chamber.

However, I have two friends who have done just that, and they don't mind loaded chambers because they accept blame for the incident, and learned from them.

Condition 1......... 24/7 on the Glock. My AK mag is loaded but chamber is clear because it stays in the safe and I fondle it a lot :D and I don't want to constantly unload and reload it. When I had a 1911, it was always cocked, locked, and ready to rock!

When my daughters were little I kept my P3-AT chamber empty. Now that they are grown I keep it ready and never unload it. It is my opinion that accidents occur even to the most experienced because of confusion about whether the gun is loaded or not. That's the one that always is.

If that clerk in that recent liquor store robbery attempt had had to jack one in or had a funky, perhaps concealed carry mode necessitating two hands to draw, he'd be a dead man..

<broken link removed>

I carry my XDM40 ready for anything. Those who don't train for different types of scenarios are afraid to carry loaded IMHO.
If you are serious about cc self defense then get with the program and learn how to defend yourself....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top