JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

clear or loaded chamber while carrying?

• loaded- loaded mag in and one in the chamber

Votes: 275 86.5%
  • clear- loaded mag in but clear chamber

Votes: 43 13.5%

• Total voters
Excellent arguments for carrying with one in the chamber.
For me, it's like hunting. If I'm not in a situation or place that I may need to shoot I keep the weapon clear and safe. If however, I "feel" the need to be ready, it only takes a second to rack the slide. I believe that forethought, and especially, situational awareness is most important.

Excellent arguments for carrying with one in the chamber.
For me, it's like hunting. If I'm not in a situation or place that I may need to shoot I keep the weapon clear and safe. If however, I "feel" the need to be ready, it only takes a second to rack the slide. I believe that forethought, and especially, situational awareness is most important.

Could you explain or perhaps give an example of where you decided to load one in the chamber? I am just curious, since mere places like schools and malls have been recent targets--how do you decide? Depending on the crowd? If so, do you go to the restroom and load it or some other way? I can't convenience myself to carry a firearm without one in the chamber, can't think of a place where I or innocent ppl can't become targets. Just my 2cents.

Could you explain or perhaps give an example of where you decided to load one in the chamber? I am just curious, since mere places like schools and malls have been recent targets--how do you decide? Depending on the crowd? If so, do you go to the restroom and load it or some other way? I can't convenience myself to carry a firearm without one in the chamber, can't think of a place where I or innocent ppl can't become targets. Just my 2cents.

First, I do not want to get into a imagination-fueled hypothetical situation debate.
The decision to carry or not, chambered or not etc. is one every man has to make for himself.
I've legally carried a concealed weapon almost daily for 20 yrs. and I think the best answer
to justify my reasoning comes from your question.
"Innocent people" Firearm safety has to be number one.
There are alot more "innocent people" in this world than "bad guys". The big what-if comes from
"what if you had an accidental discharge" in a crowded place. You will instantly become what you
fear most-the bad guy.
Yes, guns are designed with safeties, but safeties can and do fail. Whether do to mechanical or
human error. Don't trust a piece of metal smaller than a fingernail clipping.
If you've got one in the chamber you need to be conscious of where that gun is pointing at all
times!
You've got a right to carry, but you don't want to accidentally take away some "innocents" right
to life.
Think about this; if you have to go somewhere that you might need to defend your or your loved
ones lives be ready, be 110% ready, willing,and able. But dropping some a__hole for something other than
self defense in this day and age could be the most expensive decision of your life.
And as far as not having enough time to chamber a round - B.S. If you're in that situation,
your time line of bad decisions started when you woke up that morning.
Oh, and those "innocent sheeple", watch how fast they fall all over themselves trying to get
your gun taken away from you. You big, mean, gun-totin', law abiding citizen you.;)

good post Rusty. Excellent food for thought. All the more reason to carry a spin-gun with a decent transfer bar :D

Just kidding...still a small piece of metal.

I suppose some people's motives for keeping one in the chamber stem from having a relatively low-cap mag, considering most super-compact semis are single stack.

My holsters for my P12 both have thumb break retention straps that fit between the cocked hammer and the gun. I feel very secure in that.

First, I do not want to get into a imagination-fueled hypothetical situation debate.
The decision to carry or not, chambered or not etc. is one every man has to make for himself.
I've legally carried a concealed weapon almost daily for 20 yrs. and I think the best answer
to justify my reasoning comes from your question.
"Innocent people" Firearm safety has to be number one.
There are alot more "innocent people" in this world than "bad guys". The big what-if comes from
"what if you had an accidental discharge" in a crowded place. You will instantly become what you
fear most-the bad guy.
Yes, guns are designed with safeties, but safeties can and do fail. Whether do to mechanical or
human error. Don't trust a piece of metal smaller than a fingernail clipping.
If you've got one in the chamber you need to be conscious of where that gun is pointing at all
times!
You've got a right to carry, but you don't want to accidentally take away some "innocents" right
to life.
Think about this; if you have to go somewhere that you might need to defend your or your loved
ones lives be ready, be 110% ready, willing,and able. But dropping some a__hole for something other than
self defense in this day and age could be the most expensive decision of your life.
And as far as not having enough time to chamber a round - B.S. If you're in that situation,
your time line of bad decisions started when you woke up that morning.
Oh, and those "innocent sheeple", watch how fast they fall all over themselves trying to get
your gun taken away from you. You big, mean, gun-totin', law abiding citizen you.;)

I wasn't trying to argue your position on this. I was honestly trying to figure out how one carries and changes according to the situation. I have a Glock 23, and often debate whether a piece of string or cloth would make it go bang! Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to argue your position on this. I was honestly trying to figure out how one carries and changes according to the situation. I have a Glock 23, and often debate whether a piece of string or cloth would make it go bang! Thanks for the reply.

I meant no offense.....
In my experience there are no hard and fast rules. But, I think, that if you ever say to yourself "I'm glad I have my gun with me". That's the time.
You'll know, trust your gut.

Just speaking from experience, life may not give you the time to do all this jack a round in the chamber stuff.

You are walking on a sidewalk. Two people pass by you going the other way. A voice from behind you says, "Hey". You turn to see a .45 pointed in your face from 1 foot away. The guy has his index finger on the trigger.

You could grab the robber's .45 slide with your left hand and deflect the weapon to your left while you draw and shoot with your right, except there is no round in the chamber of your weapon. Or maybe there is. You're not sure because it's different all the time. Now what do you do?

You could draw your weapon and hope it has a round in it. If it doesn't it's useless as a gun. It's a $600 pair of steel knuckles.

You may, if you're lucky, pull the other guy's weapon straight up and out of his grasp. Maybe, if you're fast enough and lucky enough. A friend of mine got away with this move in Thailand in 1970. He had a fast, bad temper about robbers.

If that doesn't work you still won't have time to charge your weapon because now you are in the struggle of your life, grappling for the guy's weapon. You have to move in close and use your "club" or forget the club and use empty-hand disarming techniques. And you must move fast because the guy's buddy is about 1 1/2 seconds away from climbing up your trunk.

Or you could decide they've got the drop on you, and go through the incredible experience of letting yourself be robbed while wearing a gun you can't deploy. They might even take your weapon, too, if they find it.

Again, just from my own experience. IMO a gun that you cannot draw and fire immediately one-handed is about worse than nothing, because of the false sense of security it may give.

Carry in a secure holster. No good-quality gun in serviceable condition ever will "go off" from there.

Practice going from the surrender position to firing in one smooth motion and you should be able to do this under one second safely and routinely, it can be practiced with an unloaded weapon in your bedroom, do it over and over and over until you do it without thinking. Start slowly, get your technique down and speed will follow.

Then take it outside to a safe place (like the woods) and run the drill firing into a target 1-yard away. Powder-burn distance as Jeff Cooper used to call it. Become smooth, safe, confident.

There is another reason your weapon should always be ready to go and always carried, so you never second-guess yourself. It's always there, ready, it's always loaded and you are practiced and sure with your resolve and draw.

Hope this helps.

YMMV. Good luck out there.

Last Edited:
Most of my carry guns are either revolvers (Like my S&W m60, m640, m638), DAO autos (like my Rohhrbaugh, Seecamp, etc.), or DA/SA autos (like my Sig P229, Walther PPK, and H&K P2000SK). These guns always have one round in the chamber. There is no reason not to have one ready.

The only time it becomes an issue is with my SAO type firearms like my 1911's and my Glocks (and to a lesser degree my Kahr MK40). It took me awhile to get comfortable carry these guns with one in the pipe buT I am now doing it and it is a pretty easy adjustment.

Springfield XD .45 Compact, 10 in the clip 1 in the chamber. Also H&K USP .40 S&W 13 in the clip with 1 in the pipe!

Why carry a gun if your not going to have a round chambered? If your worried about it going off then maby you shouldn't be carrying a gun, a properly stowed gun on your body will not go off.

If I am packing my M&P40, I keep the chamber empty. Since it is DAO, it only has the trigger safety, like glock. If your adrenaline is going and you draw, you could accidentally shoot yourself in the buttock, or worse, depending on where you carry. I would rather take my chances needing an extra split second to rack the slide.

Same weapon...same method of carry...same reason.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top