JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

clear or loaded chamber while carrying?

• loaded- loaded mag in and one in the chamber

Votes: 275 86.5%
  • clear- loaded mag in but clear chamber

Votes: 43 13.5%

• Total voters
Train as you carry. If you choose to un-chambered.... DRILL, DRILL, DRILL! If you carry chambered.... DRILL, DRILL, DRILL!

This topic cracks me up. Who knew it was worth almost 9 pages of discussion with only two real answers! :D

Finger off the trigger until ready to fire. If you have a reliable gun, that is regularly maintained and checked for issues, and you carry in a proper holster and use proper technique, you "should be ok." Nothing is 100%, but hey, isn't that why we carry to begin with? Control what you can, understand what you cannot.

Good bad or otherwise, I've had this absolutely smashed into my head and some call me a freak about this stuff but hey, we don't need any AD's around here!

If you aren't practicing your draw, malfunction drills, off hand draw, one hand reloads, one hand malfunction clearing, you should NOT be carrying a gun!

Just my opinion, please take it for what it is.... Mine. :s0155:

Stay safe and have some fun while you're at it!

I totally agree, practice is the only way you keep skills up. Build muscle memory, as they teach in law enforcement, and military.

Exactly, why should we do things half assed. Some of the LE guys I know don't train hard but you know what, they are the first to get into trouble and usually don't get promotions, new gear, etc. because they become complacent.

The other gentleman I've met and trained with become SWAT, Rangers, Marine Scout Snipers, etc. Being a life member and shooting at Wade's Eastside Gun Range in Bellevue, WA, regularly has provided me with some great contacts, fantastic experiences and a the confidence one should have to carry a gun.

I work as a paramedic, and I am always in a class or training of some kind. I read online articles, subscribe to magazines, and read those. This is just to keep up with the past. There are classes I take to get ahead, and into the latest technology of medicine.

I am new to guns, am being formed by a buddy with 32 years in LE, and he trained in Iraq for almost 3 years after he 'retired'.
Now he trains at the state police academy 3-4 days a week. He has been putting me through the basics of the officer's training.
I plan to continue with taking classes and practicing regularly at least every two weeks.
I want to be a responsible owner/carrier.

I carry either my XDm .40 or my XD.45 acp so 98% of the time it's cocked and locked but when going into certian places that I don't feel or think warrents a threat I will pull the mag and unload the camber , reinstall the bullet in the mag and insert the mag .

Anyone can spout off all the "what if's " but I'll do what I think works best for me . Besides it's concealed for a reason and if you have to pull it you BETTER be sure you really need to use it .

I just want to this out there: For a couple of years I also carried un-chambered.

Early on the guns I owned had thumb safety, and I often wondered if i might snag and set off my carry gun (no thumb saftey) with one in the pipe.

Point being, if you do carry empty-chamber, I'm sure a number of people on this forum have done the same. Dosen't make it "wrong"... (mostly inefficient)

(Just keep your running/ducking skills sharp until you're comfortable with one in the pipe maybe?)

Either DA safety on, or cocked and locked, but ALWAYS one in the chamber. I can't think of the situation in which I'd say "Damn, I wish my gun hadnt been ready to go", but plenty where I might say the opposite (or be unable to say as the case may be).

Wow...
This is getting really funny.
Some of you have pretty strong opinions on carrying with one in the chamber.
Where do you guys live? East LA? I mean really...

Seriously, I have a question for you guys that are cocked, locked and ready 24/7.
Let's be honest.
How many of you have personally (not read, heard about, saw, thought you saw, or dreamed up) actually used your weapon for self defense?
Or, at least, "personally" witnessed an instance.

Let's leave out military/leo service etc. I mean right here, as a civilian, on the streets of the good ol' USofA.
And don't just answer "yes", please be willing to share your experience so the rest of us can learn from it.
Also, answers about future possibilities and situations aren't necessary. We all know why we choose to carry.

I'm just curious as to how much of your opinions are based on your own experience, paranoia or character. Or something else?
Because, I've been carrying for 20 yrs and for a long time I only carried with one in the chamber.
How many times have I pulled my .45? Zero.
Nowadays I keep one chambered about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's just a comfort.

Wow...
This is getting really funny.
Some of you have pretty strong opinions on carrying with one in the chamber.
Where do you guys live? East LA? I mean really...

Seriously, I have a question for you guys that are cocked, locked and ready 24/7.
Let's be honest.
How many of you have personally (not read, heard about, saw, thought you saw, or dreamed up) actually used your weapon for self defense?
Or, at least, "personally" witnessed an instance.

Let's leave out military/leo service etc. I mean right here, as a civilian, on the streets of the good ol' USofA.
And don't just answer "yes", please be willing to share your experience so the rest of us can learn from it.
Also, answers about future possibilities and situations aren't necessary. We all know why we choose to carry.

I'm just curious as to how much of your opinions are based on your own experience, paranoia or character. Or something else?
Because, I've been carrying for 20 yrs and for a long time I only carried with one in the chamber.
How many times have I pulled my .45? Zero.
Nowadays I keep one chambered about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's just a comfort.

Don't make them feel bad because they're prepared.
Don't call them paranoid.

You've just been fortunate enough not to need a round ready.
Calling a fellow gun owner paranoid over that is downright disrespectful.

What if a law passes somehow that makes it illegal to carry a round in the chamber.. So criminals will have the one-up on everybody. It's not supposed to be a general, "how many of you" sense, it's the one time it happens to one of us and it saves out life.

It's like..
"Oh, you have an AR? I've got a remington 700. What are you, some kind of paranoid militant..?"

Come on. That's garbage!

FYI, the world has changed alot in the past 20 years. In case you forgot we have a huge bullseye on this country by every wahabist out there dying, literally, to become a martyr for Allah. Just becaused you never needed it in the past doesn't mean that you won't need it anytime soon.

Don't make them feel bad because they're prepared.
Don't call them paranoid.

You've just been fortunate enough not to need a round ready.
Calling a fellow gun owner paranoid over that is downright disrespectful.

What if a law passes somehow that makes it illegal to carry a round in the chamber.. So criminals will have the one-up on everybody. It's not supposed to be a general, "how many of you" sense, it's the one time it happens to one of us and it saves out life.

It's like..
"Oh, you have an AR? I've got a remington 700. What are you, some kind of paranoid militant..?"

Come on. That's garbage!

Your response is totally off target and you have COMPLETELY missed the point.

I never opined don't have one in the chamber or that we shouldn't be prepared.
Only that we should be, as responsible gun carriers, be safe.

I'm just looking for an honest justification as to how these strong opinions have been
formed. If you're going give your opinion what's your experience to back it up.

It seems to me that the more disrespectful responses are coming from the ones that say,
in essence, that you're foolish if you're not locked and loaded at all times.

And I haven't called anyone "paranoid", Charles.
Or is that the word that gets you puffed up. Maybe we should just say "the 'P' word"
from now on so your feeeelings don't get hurt.
Now that we've learned a little about your character, lets hear about your experiences.
I've given you mine...
And as far as that goes, we're all a little "the 'P' word", Charles, that's why we carry.

Oh, and, no disrespect intended. Sir. :winkkiss:

Your response is totally off target and you have COMPLETELY missed the point.

I never opined don't have one in the chamber or that we shouldn't be prepared.
Only that we should be, as responsible gun carriers, be safe.

I'm just looking for an honest justification as to how these strong opinions have been
formed. If you're going give your opinion what's your experience to back it up.

It seems to me that the more disrespectful responses are coming from the ones that say,
in essence, that you're foolish if you're not locked and loaded at all times.

And I haven't called anyone "paranoid", Charles.
Or is that the word that gets you puffed up. Maybe we should just say "the 'P' word"
from now on so your feeeelings don't get hurt.
Now that we've learned a little about your character, lets hear about your experiences.
I've given you mine...
And as far as that goes, we're all a little "the 'P' word", Charles, that's why we carry.

Oh, and, no disrespect intended. Sir. :winkkiss:

Uhh......?

Don't talk to me from now on.

So having a round chambered is unsafe? Guess I'm an unsafe individual :s0131:

Seriously paranoid. You know what that makes you..?

..You're dangerous.

lol Just messing with you, man.

FYI, the world has changed alot in the past 20 years. In case you forgot we have a huge bullseye on this country by every wahabist out there dying, literally, to become a martyr for Allah. Just becaused you never needed it in the past doesn't mean that you won't need it anytime soon.

Another good reason.

The only argument I hear against this is, "what if somebody takes you're gun?!"

Not solid. Not even remotely.

Chamber loaded, hammer cocked on 1911 style auto. With the exception of a safety that was too easily taken off safe (swiftly fixed) I have never had any problems. The safety disengaged itself by brushing against something. So I put a small nick/notch in the safety and have never had another problem.

The deciding factor for me was 'can I rack a round into the chamber one handed'. I've tried, and while I can do it sometimes, most of the time it's no. If I were ever to need to fire my weapon one handed (other arm is injured) I want it ready to go. My gun has a safety, but my finger is my ultimate safety. Practice good technique and a +1 gun is as safe as an unchambered gun. Given that, which one do you want if one hand is unavailable...?

Chamber loaded, hammer cocked on 1911 style auto. With the exception of a safety that was too easily taken off safe (swiftly fixed) I have never had any problems. The safety disengaged itself by brushing against something. So I put a small nick/notch in the safety and have never had another problem.

Interesting cure, as I noticed the safety on the Taurus 1911 I handle on occasion is so easily bumped on and off safe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top