JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those that find spray lubes to be expensive make your own.

Here's a website that describes how to make a great case lube Homemade Firearm Related Products

The Lanolin is available online or through Health Supplement Stores. The 99% Isopropyl alcohol is cheap at Costco.

There's also a bunch of other "Home Brew Recipes" on the site for Bore Cleaners, etc. Save money on the fancy container, label, and perfume.

I had several problems with Hornady, but I think that I wasn't letting it dry enough. I have some left and will try it again sometime. I've been using RCBS since then and it has worked well.
The old aerosol RCBS was the bomb! Too bad I can't get it anymore.:(

For those that find spray lubes to be expensive make your own.

Here's a website that describes how to make a great case lube Homemade Firearm Related Products

The Lanolin is available online or through Health Supplement Stores. The 99% Isopropyl alcohol is cheap at Costco.

I couldn't find this link when I started this thread, I'm glad you did for others to read.
I found the lanolin at Super Supplements Health store chains. It was about $7 a bottle.
However, when using as instructed in the above link, my .223 brass dented at the shoulders. It's too thick. I'm going to try adding more alcohol next time.

I couldn't find this link when I started this thread, I'm glad you did for others to read.
I found the lanolin at Super Supplements Health store chains. It was about $7 a bottle.
However, when using as instructed in the above link, my .223 brass dented at the shoulders. It's too thick. I'm going to try adding more alcohol next time.

Make it thin enough so that when the cases dry you just barely feel the "lube".

Also, you might consider changing the sizing die for your .223. I have dent problems with my Redding .223 Sizing die but absolutely NO Dents with my Lee die. Don't know what brand you have but take a look at the die with the lock ring removed (also out of press). If there isn't a small hole in the side consider replacing it with a Lee, Forster, or other die that has the vent hole.

With this small case, even if you're real careful with the amount of lube some will accumulate in the die and after several cases w/o dents suddenly they'll start. I've had to take the depriming rod/expander out of my Redding and clean the die about every 4-5 cases, with a q-tip, to keep the lube buildup from causing dents. On my progressive I just use a Lee die and haven't had a dent since I started using it.

It's also important when using the lanolin spray to make sure the cases are shaken around in a tray or tumbled in a zip-loc bag to evenly distribute the lube then let it DRY!!! If not, even the alcohol can cause dents in a tight die like the small dia .223.

I really like the Lee sizing lube

Have to agree. It works great for neck turning and mandrel expanding as well. It's one of the few lubes that you don't have to remove after these operations as long as you haven't used too much. Dries and won't cause powder to stick when charging. Also doesn't degrade powder.

Every once in a while Lee comes up with something that works pretty good.:cool:

I've made my own lanolin lube with 91% alcohol. However, it causes dents in the shoulders of .223 brass. What am I doing wrong?

If you're getting lube dents with 90% alcohol, dry the excess alcohol off first, I usually use a hair dryer or air compressor... When you're feeding them in for sizing, make sure they don't feel wet, but just feel a little slimy, you could also be putting to much lube on them.

I should also add... I mix about 8:1 alcohol:lanolin which is a pretty thin mix, but gives good coating characteristics, takes a little longer to dry unless I used forced air (hair dryer or compressor) but gives a thin even coat which is perfect. Also, I just use drug-store alcohol (90 or 91%) most of the online places say to use anhydrous alcohol (denatured), which is more expensive, and is usually mixed with benzine and costs about 5x the price of the 99c/quart stuff from walmart.

I should also add... I mix about 8:1 alcohol:lanolin which is a pretty thin mix, but gives good coating characteristics, takes a little longer to dry unless I used forced air (hair dryer or compressor) but gives a thin even coat which is perfect. Also, I just use drug-store alcohol (90 or 91%) most of the online places say to use anhydrous alcohol (denatured), which is more expensive, and is usually mixed with benzine and costs about 5x the price of the 99c/quart stuff from walmart.

I think Costco sells the 'strong stuff' pretty inexpensive. 99% Isopropyl rather than the diluted "Rubbing Alcohol". Used for sterilizing skin pre blood draw, etc.

I have had great results with Forster case lube when forming 300 blackout brass from 223 and RCBS 2 lube when resizing other rifle brass. Also Lee lube works well when made into a spray for reducing the effort when reloading pistol calibers. The Forster lube is like the old RCBS lube ,oil based, so I wet tumble after trimming to remove it.

I think Costco sells the 'strong stuff' pretty inexpensive. 99% Isopropyl rather than the diluted "Rubbing Alcohol". Used for sterilizing skin pre blood draw, etc.

I hope it's cheaper than the stuff I saw online... cheapest place I found was $5/pint, the stuff from wallyworld is $2/quart!

The reality is, you don't need alcohol that's that pure anyways, the primary difference between denatured alcohol and the stuff you find at the drug store is the water will cause the lanolin to separate and settle out... shake it up, and you're back to a solution, or you can simply add less lanolin (which is what I ended up doing). I've found 90-91% is the happy medium between utility and price.

I hope it's cheaper than the stuff I saw online... cheapest place I found was $5/pint, the stuff from wallyworld is $2/quart!

The reality is, you don't need alcohol that's that pure anyways, the primary difference between denatured alcohol and the stuff you find at the drug store is the water will cause the lanolin to separate and settle out... shake it up, and you're back to a solution, or you can simply add less lanolin (which is what I ended up doing). I've found 90-91% is the happy medium between utility and price.

If you like to shake, and don't mind a slower dry time that's fine. As for the price, just exactly how much of the spray lube do you use? I've gone through exactly 2 pints of spray lube in 5 years and I load .223 by the bushel basket. It doesn't take much lube to get the job done.

How would one go about making the Lee paste into a spray?

I have been using One Shot and it's worked just fine. For some reason I kind of like the smell of it too.:s0112:

Same as the others, mix with alcohol and shake it up prior to use. 1 part lube to 4 parts alcohol would be about the max I would mix it or you may have issue with getting it to spray.

If you like to shake, and don't mind a slower dry time that's fine. As for the price, just exactly how much of the spray lube do you use? I've gone through exactly 2 pints of spray lube in 5 years and I load .223 by the bushel basket. It doesn't take much lube to get the job done.

Usually a few gallons a year... Just remember, I'm a commercial loader. Some things scale, some things don't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top