JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had 5 Kimbers, and only 1 that had any issues, and those were remedied with a new barrel, and it is still a nice shooter! My only comlaint is the steels they use seem to rust very quickly, the only "Fix" is to media blast them and Ceracoat them! My Compact Carry II did this just from daily carry in the holster picking up body sweat and rusting it before I got it home to rub it down with a silicon rag and put it away in the bed side safe!
I have never cared for Kimber particularly after they became as expensive as a Colt. My buddies recient experiance with there customer service and poor quality in a new gun has confirmed my initial opinion.

380C9CBD-383F-4C4C-83CE-53557E486796.jpeg With enough work, many will become adaquate but when I used to build them there was a vast difference in metal. Many cheep parts were soft or too hard not inspiring confidence in there prospects for long term survival. Colt Parts (and guns) were always correctly done. I frequently carry this gun. It is stock except for a NM bushing, trigger work and the Eliason sights. If you are weight conscious they are available with an aluminum lightweight frame but I prefer the steel.

I have read Kimber outsells the other manufacturers like Colt by a long shot. So you will hear more when there are quality issues. Colt, Wilson, they all use mim parts. Unless your in the $3000 and up range. I have really enjoyed my Springfield Loaded and it shoots almost as well as the Kimber. It really just needs another 500 rounds or so, imo. The trigger keeps getting better. Im into both for $900 total. They were used but the Springfield was never shot and the Kimber had a few thousand rounds through it. Owned by a peace officer that was honest and purchased as a police special buy through Kimber. Then their armorer went through it. It's a Custom with NS and a fantastic trigger.
IMG_1202.JPG

5 shots at 50' standing with the Kimber.

IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1218.JPG

I have read Kimber outsells the other manufacturers like Colt by a long shot. So you will hear more when there are quality issues. Colt, Wilson, they all use mim parts. Unless your in the $3000 and up range. I have really enjoyed my Springfield Loaded and it shoots almost as well as the Kimber. It really just needs another 500 rounds or so, imo. The trigger keeps getting better. Im into both for $900 total. They were used but the Springfield was never shot and the Kimber had a few thousand rounds through it. Owned by a peace officer that was honest and purchased as a police special buy through Kimber. Then their armorer went through it. It's a Custom with NS and a fantastic trigger.
View attachment 456552

View attachment 456554 View attachment 456553
I like how the Springfield looks!

View attachment 456552

View attachment 456554 View attachment 456553
That isn't hard to understand (or explain) Kimber is like Ford. They build so many guns that the majority of 1911's in any showroom are Kimbers, there were decades that you couldn't find a Colt in stock anywhere. It is a diffrent marketing strategy. Do you build to support sales or sales to support the builders. That is where Kimber made there bones, when Colts were hard to find, the same as Ruger in the 50's when Colt stopped making Single Action Army revolvers.

The reason Kimber went to Yonkers is because they purchased Jericho, the frame maker. Now they could make all the parts in house. I'm not defending them, just the one I have. And I went with a P938 instead of a 9mm micro Kimber if that tells you anything. Customer service means a lot and you hear a little too much about issues. Springfields is great from what I hear.

Kimber went through a period where they couldn't keep up also. So did Harley. Back when the economy was better.

When our (Washington ANG pistol team) Gold Cup match pistols came from the armorers, we would shoot them at 50 feet from a Ransom pistol rest. If they didn't shoot one hole (cloverleaf) groups they went back. That way we knew a poor score wasn't the pistol's fault.

Last Edited:
Honestly, even the military doesn't call it an idiot scratch. Its just a thing that happens. I see it as a mark for one that'll get carried instead of a safe queen.

I let my friends practice with mine too, so its just gonna happen. Safe queen=Avoid. Carry=Don't think about it.

The thing about Kimber, they were one of the very first "boutique" 1911 makers before all the famous names became famous, back when a 1911 was a Colt, and nothing else, and that't what you had to choose from if you wanted a 1911, a Colt! Kimber were also the ones to offer more tricked out 1911s at a better price then Colts custom shop and the other Mom and Pop Smiths, so you got more for your money! Then the rest of the makers started to see who popular the 1911s still were, especially after Colt let the patent expire, so every one jumped in to the 1911 market, which put a hurt on Colt, and drove customers to the custom makers, of which Kimber were well known! As far as the quality issues, every manufacture goes through lean times and often cuts corners at their own detriment, Kimber was no exception to this, and it has cost them a fine reputation, but ultimatly, they are still top shelf, equal to any other in that price range, and while not a Colt, now days, that' not actually a bad thing! I have more prancing money's, and have had more issues with them, including a series 80 that has been back to Colt 3 times for the same issue, finally they put a series 70 slide on it and a pair of parts in the frame and called it good! At least they stand behind what they make! But so does Kimber! Yea, Kimbers are no longer "Made in Oregon" and if Sgt Nambu were still with us, he would get a great big laugh at this, as he always told of what they were like when he worked there and some of the weapons that left the facility! Say what you will about Kimber, they are a good 1911, just happen to be a large supplier of them, and like was posted before, some times those numbers also have some duds in the mix!

It comes from takedown for cleaning not carrying or it shooting. They go straight in and straight out. Dragging it across your frame is optional. The idiot mark that is. :)

I have 19 1911s and not a single one has an idiot mark, and many of them get used a lot, and 4 get carried all the time. I'm careful with them, the same way I would be careful with any tool I expect to work when my life may be in danger! I think folks get in too big a hurry when reassembling their 1911s and that's what happens!:(

Its also optional to care. For stuff that will get finish worn from carry I won't bother to avoid scratches or tell others to avoid it.

For safe queen 1911s I intend to get I'll take the extra step and not let friends touch em, but for carry? Finish is gonna be worn so no point. I'm not careful with the finish on carry guns.

Last Edited:
I don't see people caring about the finish on the FALs when they get scratched by DSA scope mounts. Why the double standard?

And trust me, this is a huge eyesore in comparison.

IMG_3373.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews