JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got about $650 and want a 1911. Should I just get a Springfield milspec or is RIA a real option? And is there any other budget friendly 1911s I should look at. Thanks

I would get a Springfield milspec and when you get some more budget send it in for a front strap checkering, trigger job, and refinish, and possibly a reliability package. RIA are good carry guns especially a compact model. Remington are good, and you could also search for a older colt compact for that price range.

Ruger SR1911. I won't ever recommend another Armscor made 1911 after a bad experience, and I won't recommend Springfield based on their political hijinks. Ruger makes a fine gun.

And I went with a P938 instead of a 9mm micro Kimber if that tells you anything. Customer service means a lot and you hear a little too much about issues.

I bought a P938 after looking at it for well over a year; had it for about two years before I traded it in. Did the trade-in after I bought the Kimber Micro 9 CSE from Cabela's on a Black Friday a couple years back. Too many issue with the P938; the first one only after a month of ownership, the night side in front died! They didn't even offer to pay for the shipping, I asked them to, then they did. Then about 8 months in, the 2pc guide rod flew apart while shooting! Put it back together, only to watch it unscrew after every couple hundred rounds (poor design). About 18 months in, shooting it and the trigger all of sudden weighs about 50 lbs! A tab in the mainspring housing broke or wore down and the spring was actually moving around.This was causing the trigger to not want to pull basically. So I traded it in for a CZ 2075 RAMI. As for the Micro 9 CSE, not one issue in almost 2 year of ownership and 1000's of rounds. Also have a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD, about 5 years now, never had a single issue. Prior to that, I had Pro Raptor for a year+, never had any issues. Traded it in for the Super Carry Pro HD. My first 1911 was an RIA 3.5", about $550 new. Works great, no issues in over 6 years; I don't shoot it too much, but it has always been reliable.

I bought a P938 after looking at it for well over a year; had it for about two years before I traded it in. Did the trade-in after I bought the Kimber Micro 9 CSE from Cabela's on a Black Friday a couple years back. Too many issue with the P938; the first one only after a month of ownership, the night side in front died! They didn't even offer to pay for the shipping, I asked them to, then they did. Then about 8 months in, the 2pc guide rod flew apart while shooting! Put it back together, only to watch it unscrew after every couple hundred rounds (poor design). About 18 months in, shooting it and the trigger all of sudden weighs about 50 lbs! A tab in the mainspring housing broke or wore down and the spring was actually moving around.This was causing the trigger to not want to pull basically. So I traded it in for a CZ 2075 RAMI. As for the Micro 9 CSE, not one issue in almost 2 year of ownership and 1000's of rounds. Also have a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD, about 5 years now, never had a single issue. Prior to that, I had Pro Raptor for a year+, never had any issues. Traded it in for the Super Carry Pro HD. My first 1911 was an RIA 3.5", about $550 new. Works great, no issues in over 6 years; I don't shoot it too much, but it has always been reliable.

Well there's a testimony to the reliability of newer Kimber products. Glad yours are flawless. 1000s of rounds ! Nice !

Im still waiting for the first malfunction in my P938. And the guide rod has the proper locktite. Nightsights are bright and i like the 3-4" groups at 50'. I'm happy with mine. Glad you like yours. I do like my Kimber 1911 5" classic early model that I mistakenly call a custom. 1911s have a great feel in the hand for sure.

I picked-up a Kimber Eclipse II Custom from a pawn shop about 5-years ago for +/- $700. It was just to handsome to pass-up. And I happened to actually have $700 in my wallet at the time.

A couple of years ago, having bought it second-hand, I finally broke it down all the way into its individual parts and pieces. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to get it put back together. Apparently, it has some "Kimber-unique" bushing reassembly sequence that I was unaware of at that time. I called Kimber and had a rather long and interesting conversation with one of their factory 1911-Smiths.

I wound-up sending my (2nd-hand) Eclipse II back to Kimber wherein they properly reassembled it for me. However, without me even asking, they also replaced every spring in the pistol, installed a brand new hammer, a brand new trigger and installed a brand new slide to boot. The pistol was already beautiful before I sent it in, but it was practically brand new when they sent it back to me.

They sent it back to me 100% free of any charges. I was, and still am extremely impressed with such outstanding customer service. Needless to say, Kimber has another loyal life-long customer.:)

FB_IMG_1525904230174.jpg

I love this gun but it's big heavy and looks really scary but it shoots awsom 45 I did look at a DAN Wesson 9mm but it was double the price

I have shot a Taurus 1911(stainless 9mm model) and I used to own a Springfield Milspec(also stainless,.45 version),and I used to own a RIA 1911(basic parkerized gi model). Of those three they all performed well and functioned flawlessly, though my RIA was easily the least accurate,I would recommend the Springfield or a Taurus,I don't know how good the Taurus .45's are but I shot my Springfield side by side with the Taurus version in 9mm with hardly any difference. I did shoot the Springfield a little better,but I think that was due to the shorter lighter trigger and me being more familiar with the handling of 1911's in .45.

Both Springfield's and Taurus 1911's are made in Brazil, can't really go wrong in my opinion unless yours ships with junk magazines, speaking of which the magazine my RIA came with didn't even feed,I tossed it and replaced the magazines immediately.Was an act-mag or something like that, I did read before hand about 1911's sometimes shipping with junk mags though,so when I had got it at the gun show a few years back I made sure to also buy a couple mags. I found out the mag it came with was junk at home when I had tried to load it with some home defense ammo,luckily the Lord gave me the good sense to buy a spare mag when I bought it.

It's just the old man in me:D "Which 1911 for my budget?" What plans do you have for it in the future? Leave it stock? Turn it into your personal needs to fit your shooting? Are you just making do and plan to sell it? Do you want a light one a medium one or a heavy one? Is it for carry or just the bedside?

You may have answered all this in the many pages allready posted but call it a memory refreshment so the guys can pinpoint your needs.:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top