JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of 1911 gurus on here, so I figured, I'd ask my question here. I'd kind of like to get a niche gun. I'm interested in a commander frame 1911, but I want a double stack. The only one I've found out there is the Remington 1911 R1 Recon Commander. Anyone know of any other manufacturers of a 4.25" double stack 1911?

STI is a pretty slick set up, but $$$
Fusion firearms offers custum 1911s as well, also based on the 2011 series modular frame/grip 1911
Then if you build, and already have a commander top end, Caspian makes a double stack frame that can be cut to commander length.
Builders can also do the above 2011 series frames and make any thing you wish.
Pro tip, when doing the 2011 frames, always order the long un cut frame, you can then shorten to the exact length of the slide your using and it looks factory. :)

STI is a pretty slick set up, but $$$
Fusion firearms offers custum 1911s as well, also based on the 2011 series modular frame/grip 1911
Then if you build, and already have a commander top end, Caspian makes a double stack frame that can be cut to commander length.
Builders can also do the above 2011 series frames and make any thing you wish.
Pro tip, when doing the 2011 frames, always order the long un cut frame, you can then shorten to the exact length of the slide your using and it looks factory. :)

My cousin has been trying to talk me into doing an 80% frame from 1911builders.com. He is a machinist and has the jig and everything. They offer an 7075 aluminum frame, which cuts around 10oz from the weight of the gun. And a double stack 1911, even commander size is a serious trouser anchor. I just don' know what I'd be giving up in terms of ruggedness and durability.

Aluminum frames are ok for a .45, but you don't wanna do that with any thing hotter! And a 1911 isn't exactly a light weight to start with! A full size vs a commander is only about 4 oz different, and a full size loaded comes in around 40 to 44 oz!! My Caspian weigh in around 50 oz and the STI can be between 8 and 57 oz depending on grip and frame options!!! Heavy! That's why I went back to a single stack carry rig! The Caspian is my favorite, but that's a LOT of weight!

Was about to say the STI is double stack, and pretty expensive. But no idea on quality and such so... Left that up for someone else.

STI are first class hand built customs, and are about as good as they come, only downer is the El'cheap-0 plastic grip. There are steel and alloy grips, but that' another $150 to $750+ for something alloy and trick, no thanks! I did a $150 aluminum grip and milled it down on the sides to take standard 1911 grip panels the G-10s speciffically!:) looks mean as hell and the grip is amazing, actually a tiny bit thinner then a Glock G-20!:):):)

Hay Bobo, have a looksee at the. Caspian double stack for a 10mm build! The 2011 are also pretty slick, especially the CK frames, a little cheaper then the STI, but just as good for quality, and every thing interchanges between the two!

Those 2011's are AWESOME!!! I had no idea such a creature even existed! So you can get a frame for like $170, then put whatever grip you want on it and be right in the $600-700 ballpark you'd be for a good single stack stainless frame? Shut up and take my money!

STI are first class hand built customs, and are about as good as they come, only downer is the El'cheap-0 plastic grip. There are steel and alloy grips, but that' another $150 to $750+ for something alloy and trick, no thanks! I did a $150 aluminum grip and milled it down on the sides to take standard 1911 grip panels the G-10s speciffically!:) looks mean as hell and the grip is amazing, actually a tiny bit thinner then a Glock G-20!:):):)

Ah man. You're harshing my mellow. So you have to get an aluminum frame and do millwork before you can use standard 1911 scales? That's kind of lame. Both of my other 1911s have VZ grips on them, which I really like. Hmm. I wonder if VZ makes a grip frame for the 2011?

Ah man. You're harshing my mellow. So you have to get an aluminum frame and do millwork before you can use standard 1911 scales? That's kind of lame. Both of my other 1911s have VZ grips on them, which I really like. Hmm. I wonder if VZ makes a grip frame for the 2011?

Negative on the STI/DVI grip, unless you get a Caspian frame ( which will take standard grip panels) or one of the metal grips, you can order the plain Jane alloy one, or spend the coin and get none of the textured steel ones! Most folks run the standard plastic grip and they sand them down and install grip tape! For the money, the alloy frame is about the best you can do and have traditional 1911 grip panels!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top