JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's just the old man in me:D "Which 1911 for my budget?" What plans do you have for it in the future? Leave it stock? Turn it into your personal needs to fit your shooting? Are you just making do and plan to sell it? Do you want a light one a medium one or a heavy one? Is it for carry or just the bedside?

You may have answered all this in the many pages allready posted but call it a memory refreshment so the guys can pinpoint your needs.:)
Well I picked up a Remington 1911R1 cause it was lighter than the RIA and I was wanting a "GI" model and keep it stock. I am already plan on getting a ruger now but maybe in 9mm. I don't ever plan on carrying a 1911 unless it's open carry and I'm the woods or the range.

Both Springfield's and Taurus 1911's are made in Brazil, can't really go wrong in my opinion unless yours ships with junk magazines, speaking of which the magazine my RIA came with didn't even feed,I tossed it and replaced the magazines immediately.Was an act-mag or something like that, I did read before hand about 1911's sometimes shipping with junk mags though,so when I had got it at the gun show a few years back I made sure to also buy a couple mags.

Depends which Springfield model you purchase, as to it's manufacture; at least it used to, when I bought mine. As for ACT mags; my RIA ACT mag is one of the finest mags I've ever used. Very slick, smooth ejection from the firearm, and never once had any loading issues.

Depends which Springfield model you purchase, as to it's manufacture; at least it used to, when I bought mine. As for ACT mags; my RIA ACT mag is one of the finest mags I've ever used. Very slick, smooth ejection from the firearm, and never once had any loading issues.
The magazine loaded fine, it was when you put it into the gun that caused the trouble, it would not feed at all.
I couldn't even get it to feed the first round after loading it to capacity(8 rounds if I remember right), I even tried just loading 7 rounds in the ACT-Mag no difference,so I then tried just loading one round,that wouldn't chamber either. I'm guessing my mag just might have been out of spec or the springs were way to weak.

To this day I haven't had a single magazine in any gun of any brand that gave me that much trouble,and I've used pro-mags before.

Last Edited:
There is a huge debate about these compansators but the fact is it adds wt to the end of the barrel

Stuff like that is do you like it? If you do I would not give a rip what others think of it. I tell people all the time when they ask about "accessories". If you can try them on a gun great. If not and you think you want it, buy one. If after you try it you like it, great. May not be for everyone but if you like it great. When it comes to 1911's I like them so much it's hard for me to find one I don't care for. Only one I can think of was that one someone came out with while back that was some kind of case hardening finish. Looked like it had been buried a few years then dug up. Only time I can think of I looked at a 1911 and went "eww" :)

Stuff like that is do you like it? If you do I would not give a rip what others think of it. I tell people all the time when they ask about "accessories". If you can try them on a gun great. If not and you think you want it, buy one. If after you try it you like it, great. May not be for everyone but if you like it great. When it comes to 1911's I like them so much it's hard for me to find one I don't care for. Only one I can think of was that one someone came out with while back that was some kind of case hardening finish. Looked like it had been buried a few years then dug up. Only time I can think of I looked at a 1911 and went "eww" :)
I haven't really made a decision on it yet it looks cool but it adds a few inches to it I can't tell the difference

I haven't really made a decision on it yet it looks cool but it adds a few inches to it I can't tell the difference

If you decide you don't like it ebay would probably find someone to take it off your hands. Always seems to be a lot of that kind of stuff floating around there. Last week a part broke on one of my guns. Looked at the manufacturers site, they pointed me at Brownells. Brownells stocked the part but of course had none so I back ordered one thinking great, how long will my gun be out of service. Then noticed the search I had typed looking for it was suggesting Ebay. Clicked on it and damned if there was not one there for sale. So pistol is back in action again.

To this day I don't I've had a single magazine in any gun of any brand that gave me that much trouble,and I've used pro-mags before.

Now I had pro-mags for an M1A, and Mini-14, none of them worked properly, a couple wouldn't mount in the magwell, and also the one or two that did, they had feed problems; so I returned them. Wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole. It's the only brand of magazine I've ever had issues with. Most every firearm I have, uses Original Equipment without issue; except for the AR15, that would be Magpul.

If you decide you don't like it ebay would probably find someone to take it off your hands. Always seems to be a lot of that kind of stuff floating around there. Last week a part broke on one of my guns. Looked at the manufacturers site, they pointed me at Brownells. Brownells stocked the part but of course had none so I back ordered one thinking great, how long will my gun be out of service. Then noticed the search I had typed looking for it was suggesting Ebay. Clicked on it and damned if there was not one there for sale. So pistol is back in action again.
Lol thanks that's where I got this one lol .
I guess the only way to get one thst really makes a difference is buy the barrel and comp together

Now I had pro-mags for an M1A, and Mini-14, none of them worked properly, a couple wouldn't mount in the magwell, and also the one or two that did, they had feed problems; so I returned them. Wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole. It's the only brand of magazine I've ever had issues with. Most every firearm I have, uses Original Equipment without issue; except for the AR15, that would be Magpul.
Pro mags suck

Lol thanks that's where I got this one lol .
I guess the only way to get one thst really makes a difference is buy the barrel and comp together

When I bought my Ruger MKIII years ago it was during the great panic. No one had the mags. Ebay was the only place I could find the damn things. When I got the MKIV it was the same thing, no one had any damn mags. Ebay came through again. It can be an interesting place to find stuff you can't find. That part for my 3032 really caught me off guard though. It was the last place I even thought to look and even then it was an after thought. Them and this group are the only reason I still have a PayPal account :)

Pro mags suck

They have a well deserved reputation as crap. During the great ban I did often make one work for some guns. The Mini 14 for one. Mags for them were so damn hard to find without getting hosed. A few times I had some owner of one buy a few and with tinkering we were able to make them work but it took work. I now avoid them of course. They are cheap and over priced at that.

I went to sportsmans and they have the Remington R1 for 499 so I went with thatView attachment 456550

You choose a good model by happenstance I guess. I have played with a Remington at the range, and a local dealer had some tactical models I was able to handle and dry fire. The triggers were pretty gritty but I was impressed with the tolerances on the models I handled. The only thing you will want to be done to it if you like to put a lot of lead downrange is front strap checkering and a trigger kit if you are unlucky and end up with one with a poor trigger. (it's a hit or miss)

Front Strap Checkering - you can actually use a punch to "dimple" the front strap of the frame to gain traction and re-blue it. (it's ugly but functional) You could also mill any amount of texture into the frame. I don't recommend traction grips aside from the sandpaper type that requires periodic replacement. You can rust blue it in a covered stainless kettle with a steam tray: 6-8 cycles will yield an ultra durable black coating. Soak frame in rust remover it will strip the hot blue and brush with 230-320 or bead blast. Degrease aggressively and hang parts (use oil-free gloves) and hang parts and follow rust blue instructions. $40 investment plus brush/media costs. You can rust blue most non-stainless steels.

Typically a MIM FC (sear, disconnector, hammer) with springs will be too soft to get an outstanding trigger pull out of it. I have been doing 1911 trigger work for a while, and it's incredibly hard to polish a MIM sear and hammer when the metal is so soft that the hammer struts dig into the sear over time. I had a somewhat high-end MIM sear and hammer in on of mine and it was too soft. Sear and hammer surfaces need to be compatible with each other. If you switch to a hardened sear and a MIM hammer you'll probably develop issues down the road. So it's recommended that you get a good trigger kit. I highly recommend Ed Brown's Perfection Trigger Kit: it's affordable and nearly always drop in depending on the specs of your 1911. I recommend having a smith install it regardless, but make sure said Smith is educated and will not hack into the Kit unless it's needed. I worked on a friends old 1950's Colt, and his sear was extremely rough from the factory (or bubba'd) can't tell for sure, but it looked like someone dragged a grater over it. His hammer struts were factory, so I was not going to take them down, but I was able to smooth the sear and hammer out and polish it. It made a huge difference, but the geometry still yields a USGI trigger pull. Neither of us wanted to re-define the geometry and grind off more material from the hammer struts in the process. So a Kit is recommended. If you can detail strip it, you may be able to install a trigger kit, but you need to check tolerances and function before live fire: I do not recommend it unless you are planning to invest the time to learn the 1911 platform. But, teach a man to fish...

The third issue you may have is slide/hammer bite. If you get a Trigger Kit, you can get one with a Commander Style Hammer, and buy a "drop-in" beaver grip safety. You'll likely need to do some fitting, but if you get a Trigger Kit with a Commander type Hammer it will likely require little to no fitting.

Good luck and enjoy, the Remington's have nice steel from what I have seen. *I have only handled the 1st and maybe 2nd generation models so I can't speak for the newer models.

Last Edited:
I've owned them all. I'm now down to just a few. My extra-perfect and beautiful Colt Series 70 never leaves the safe. Nor did my Kimber, Springfield's or Remington's, but my Ruger's are used every week.:cool:

I've owned them all. I'm now down to just a few. My extra-perfect and beautiful Colt Series 70 never leaves the safe. Nor did my Kimber, Springfield's or Remington's, but my Ruger's are used every week.:cool:

Ruger's are great less-orthodox 1911's. Everyone who has one that I know loves them, especially the Rugers and S&W models. I'm a die hard Springfield fan, but there are so many awesome 1911's. I'm not a collector: I shoot often and carry mine daily. My opinion is that Springfield TRP's are everything you need in a 1911A1 fullsize. I'd like to see a TRP in a carry size. I'm also a fan of EGW, and Fusion: all good people and support. Also like Colt, but they have been having issues for some time, but they make great 1911's always have: would not want to deal with their support.. I lost count of the rounds down my Springfield (6K+), and it just gets better with age and use, it doesn't sit in a safe unless I'm carrying my Walther.

I find the trigger acceptable and there is no play in the slide and frame at all it's pretty tight and smooth while racking the slide. I did get the plain Jane model so no front grip texture at all but that doesn't bother me. I have considered a beaver tail for it but again I was wanting a gi model anyway. The only thing I didn't like is it's a series 80 not 70. I was surprised actually but at 499.99 I think it's a nice firearm. I am thinking about building a 1911 to make something more fancy.

I find the trigger acceptable and there is no play in the slide and frame at all it's pretty tight and smooth while racking the slide. I did get the plain Jane model so no front grip texture at all but that doesn't bother me. I have considered a beaver tail for it but again I was wanting a gi model anyway. The only thing I didn't like is it's a series 80 not 70. I was surprised actually but at 499.99 I think it's a nice firearm. I am thinking about building a 1911 to make something more fancy.

Go for it. It's a fun process, and lots of work. Make sure you do you research before you make costly mistakes. I might recommend finding a equipment exchange, and gathering exactly what you need, you can find many new parts and support other builders and enthusiasts. I'm a minimalist, but I like an ambibecause I shoot lefty and righty. I liked the Remington's fit also, very tight. But for a duty or carry gun you don't want it tight in the wrong places. Anythign that effects reliability is not an option in my mind. I like a loose 1911 with a tight lockup, but not one that binds. The good 1911 Smith's will be able to tell you how to fit them properly: but the best one's tend to be heavy in machine skills which is expensive if you don't have access to a machine shop and someone who can setup the machines for you. Lookup Ned Christiansen of Michiguns Ltd. I have consulted Ned and used his wisdom which most of it is archived on various forums. Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top