JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try to keep it out of the garage or out of the shed/attic. You want to avoid extreme temps as well as areas that you will get condensation. I've seen many powder containers eaten away with rust over the years that were left out in the garage. Some of the powder smelt good, but I wouldn't trust it with rust flakes (you don't want to shoot rust through your bore). Open up your powder and smell it, you will know when it's bad (it's putrid). I doubt you would ever load bad powder, but in the off chance that you did, it would be very easy to image you getting a squib load.

When the powder is bad it will smell bad as well as the powder starts to break down. You'll see the color change from black and shiny to dull and tan. Depending on the storage container you'll see rust powder mixed in with it also.

At that point I'd use it in a cannon, but not through my gun.

I put all my reloading equipment in the attic in 1991, and there it stayed until early 2008. I built a loading bench and set up in the garage, brought down all the reloading equipment, including 1 can each of bullseye, unique, 2400, 748, 4064, 4895, and 2 cans 4350. Several thousand primers too. Only one can of powder went bad, one of the 4350 cans had red dust when poured into the powder measure, and it wouldn't flow through the measure. I used the bullseye, unique, 4064, the good can of 4350, and most of the primers, all were good.

When I buy powder, even if it's 8 or 10lbs at a time, I buy 1 pound containers, buying in small containers ensures the powder I am not using stays sealed and uncontaminated by moisture.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top