JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, most of you all know that you cant find any primers unless you pay twice the listed price for them.
I have asked around and was told that the military is buying the primers from ATK on a government contract. ATK owns CCI and Federal among other ammo companies.
If our Military and/or government is buying up all of the primers from ATK then WHY?

I was told by the rep at Bi-mart in albany that the gov't had a 1.8 billion bullet contract and that sucked up all the primers. It also according ot my source has been filled and primers should be hitting the supply chain for you and me later this month. When they actually hit store shelfs is anyone's guess since all the primers we have been getting for quite a while were primers already in the supply chain before the big government contract took affect.

Then again maybe it was a story? but sounds like he knew what he was talking about and sounded reasonable to me. If nothing else I am helping to spread the lies :) and really looking forward to primers again! (down to last 500 spp and that is less then one month of shooting)

Steven

well I got lucky... on a whim I stopped by bimart at 172nd and Powell in Portland/gresham and got 2 box of Large pistol magnum primers $34 per box. I someoen is interested in trading I could use a box on small pistol primers!!! Good luck, I have orders in to Dillon and Cabelas for primers and powder. Shouldnt be long ( i hope ) been 3 weeks already!

Bought some Wolf Large Rifle and Small Rifle Mag. mail order at under $90 ($84 and $89 I think) for 5000 of each type. A $20 HazMat plus some postage.
This was around the first of the year. No where can you find primers in any amount, but I have been told the price increase is between the dealer and the customer, and not manufacturer to the dealer.

So the government contracted for 1.8 Billion (with a "B") rounds......????
............so how many times over would that take out every extremist...????
............sounds like a pretty big stockpile.
...if this is true, somebody is planning ahead, or there are some pretty bad marksman on the payroll.

Things that make you go............hmmm

So the government contracted for 1.8 Billion (with a "B") rounds......????
............so how many times over would that take out every extremist...????
............sounds like a pretty big stockpile.
...if this is true, somebody is planning ahead, or there are some pretty bad marksman on the payroll.

Things that make you go............hmmm

I would think the .gub also shoots a lot of ammo in training. I'm sure they probably have more than 1.8 billion but they probably have a shelf life on bullets and it could be their way of keeping their vendors fed. The last thing we need is the world hearing that our military doesn't have enough bullets and has to order a few cases of wolf .223.

The good news for me, went to a Bimart today and picked up a ration of 300 magnum small rifle primers :s0053::s0053::s0053:

I too hit Bimart got my 500 large rifle primers (win). Kinda miffed that they are limiting the primer sales.. but what ever.

they also have UMC 223.. $8.99 per 20 or $89.90 for 200.

Yeah the limit kind of sucks but better than none. The guy at the store I went to said some guy was there this morning and didn't even want the clerk to open the primer boxes, he just wanted them all.

Other places checked for components...

Sportsmans SE is broken until the new owners get an ordering system set up, so they are off my list of stops for a few weeks.

Fishermans has had .223 ammo but reload components are very limited to none.

Joe's Yeah right.. They would do better moving the chain to Kalifornia.

I contacted the guys at MagTech about the lack of primers. Here's their response:

"Your concern is valid as there has been a short term demand on these products that is far greater than the current capacity of the manufacturers throughout the world. This spike in demand is related to several factors. The first is the military conflicts around the globe.
There is a large demand for 223 and 308 ammunition and this is where most of the rifle primers are used. There is also a large demand recently from the newly elected administration here in the USA as many people believe that new legislation could be enacted in the future that limits the availability of guns and ammunition products. Product is being made everyday and eventually the backlog will be filled. In the meantime, my suggestion is that you buy when you come across availability at retailers in your local community or keep watching online from the larger retail operations. "

Hope that was helpful.

Got lucky I guess. Went to the gun show in Eugene, OR and a guy sold me 1000 small pistol primers for $60. A little high but if you order them online with shipping and the fee for hazardous material it is about right. 1000 primers will last me a long time! Now I need to find large pistol primers.

OK, most of you all know that you cant find any primers unless you pay twice the listed price for them.
I have asked around and was told that the military is buying the primers from ATK on a government contract. ATK owns CCI and Federal among other ammo companies.
If our Military and/or government is buying up all of the primers from ATK then WHY?

the primers are going to idiots that think when the society collapses they'll be able to stay in one spot long enough to fire a couple thousand rounds then reload them. Those who try this stratigy will be known as corpses.

+3

Just trying to reload what I shoot to save money. Really enjoy reloading too.
Federal said they are just trying to keep up with the demand for their own ammo, the rest is sold to
the public and they said the demand is so high that they will be in short supply.

I found large rifle magnum primers at the bi-mart in Sunnyside WA. I check every were for them from the Tri-cities to Spokane To Coeur D'lane. Sunnyside was the only place that had any thing other than shotgun primers.

It seems like everyday I hear a new theory as to where all the primers have gone. A few of these theories are:
Sold to our government
Sold to foreign governments
Production being limited by our Government. If they can not take our guns they will take our ammo.
Companies are hoarding them to jack up prices.
Companies can not keep up with the paranoia

Wow, the stories are really spreading. A guy I work with said the government is telling ammo manufacturers to work less hours so they can't keep up with demand.
I do not always dismiss conspiracy theories, but I need some proof first. Makes a good story until and unless it can be substantiated. It just sometimes surprises me how quickly people are to accept rumors as fact.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top