JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just curious. I know folks who if it doesn't have optics, a light and laser it sucks. Personally I am a maybe put an optic on it sort of guy. I don't really care what floats your boat, but I know I would in general make a rifle more "tactical" by losing weight on it, making it lighter. However, I have a love of drum magazines which are rather absurdly heavy.

I know we all have a limit where it is ridiculous. But where do you put yours? What do you want on your rifle?

Adding a light, laser (useless on a rifle IMHO), one of those forward grip bipod "things" and multiple optics, especially optics on a 45 or 90 degree cant.

I am a single optic with BUIS kind of guy. Maybe a small forward grip although none of mine wear one. POSSIBLY a light if you use yours for a HD gun although personally I don't.

When you spend more time looking in the mirror with the decked out rifle and carrier, you might have gone into the tacticool zone. :rolleyes:

Honestly, having a scope and a red dot on top comes off as tacticool to me. But to each their own on that one. I try to save as much weight as possible (ACOGs are great for this IMO) so I just limit it to an optic and BUIS. Or just iron sights for some rifles.

the ar by my bed is stock, the shotgun by my bedroom door is stock, the .45 on my nightstand is stock, and the .45 under my pillow is stock. I have guns with scopes but they are all in the safe, and not what i would grab in the dark.

Whatever doesn't contribute to the making of a high speed death machine's gotta go.

Actually, anything I own that has the remotest possibility of being tacticooled is run with irons for awhile until I'm fully comfortable with it and then graduates to an optic of some sort with BUIS. If it's lucky. Pretty boring all in all.

I am forever indebted to some of the world's greatest Mall Ninjas. They have provided me with countless hours of training in Tacticalness.

DSC06576.jpg
Anything beyond this....:D Just kidding!

Once you add enough of extras to your gun and the gun no longer can be seen as a gun , but only as a place to store gadgets ... Then you have gone too far.

I think that many "tacticool" types use a gadget instead of learning and practicing a skill.
Get a basic pistol , rifle or shotgun .... learn how to use it as issued ... develop the skill to use it , then think really hard about your use and need ... then think about what "upgrades" you need versus what the guy on TV , the gun store or internet says you need.
Andy

Last Edited:
Less is more. More is less. Keep it simple. Keep it light.
  • CQB: Iron sights, 1x prismatic scope, Minimalist stock, MagPul grip, MagPul Handguard, Smith Vortex flash hider. Set up for one and two point sling attachment. Thinner barrel for better balance. Ambi charging handle.
  • SPR: Iron sights, 1-6x ACSS scope, ACS stock, MagPul grip, Free floated barrel, Smith Vortex flash hider.Set up for one and two point sling attachment. Normal barrel contour. Ambi charging handle.
  • DMR(AR308): Iron sights, 4-14x ACSS scope, ACS stock, MagPul grip, MagPul Handguard, Smith Vortex flash hider, bipodSet up for one and two point sling attachment. Normal barrel contour.
  • No lights, lasers, vertical grips or electric pasta forks.
  • Barrier stop OK if it doesn't interfere with the hand guard.
  • Accessories/upgrades like roller cams OK as long as they improve reliability, function, or service life.
  • Spend your money on ammo and practice and not AR fashon.

I'm with peternov01. Oem should be enough...rather what you get should be tough enough to hold up.

You got stuff being produced by Midwest industries for example that definitely builds products well. Most after market accessories are trash though. I say if something on isn't up to the challenge, then shop around. Otherwise I'm fine with oem.

I do wish more pistols came with night sights at an affordable price. I do think every pistol should come with night sights. I almost never use a tac light for a gun. I think it all comes down to what are you doing with your gun? Is oem enough to ensure the job? Be it law enforcement to farm work. I don't mind accessories on a gun but i think they should be there for a specific reason.

I am just curious. I know folks who if it doesn't have optics, a light and laser it sucks. Personally I am a maybe put an optic on it sort of guy. I don't really care what floats your boat, but I know I would in general make a rifle more "tactical" by losing weight on it, making it lighter. However, I have a love of drum magazines which are rather absurdly heavy.

I know we all have a limit where it is ridiculous. But where do you put yours? What do you want on your rifle?

When form is over function.

That's personal to everyone so it's hard to say.

Making a rifle lighter is cutting it close for me, imo getting used to heavier rifles is a benefit. Makes "light" feel lighter. Competition i get

When many get into the hobby for the first time, there is a temptation to buy stuff to make a rifle (especially a first AR) into their own fearsome dreambeast. Eventually they stop spending on doodads and begin to use that money on additional guns, as they realize most of the gizmos don't help them actually shoot. Kind of like growing out of their GI Joe phase and into a more mature interest in firearms. Some never grow up.
You see it sometimes in the car hobby, and with some folks that like to fish. ;)

Often, the more you know...the less you need.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR