JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gee, I thought that there'd be 20 responses to this thread by now! All the 1911 guys shooting back and forth with the 9mm guys. And a bunch of .40 S&W folks in the cross fire. And then there'd be little old me standing off to the side caressing my various .38/.357 revolvers. I guess the topic has been kicked around so many times there there's simply nothing left to say.....

Gee, I thought that there'd be 20 responses to this thread by now! All the 1911 guys shooting back and forth with the 9mm guys. And a bunch of .40 S&W folks in the cross fire. And then there'd be little old me standing off to the side caressing my various .38/.357 revolvers. I guess the topic has been kicked around so many times there there's simply nothing left to say.....

.45, in my 1911 of course!:s0112:

I was all about the .40 S&W for awhile but switched back to good old 9mm. Though I like .357 SIG the best I use and buy more 9mm's then anything. My 1911's turned out so pristine in the end I can never find it in me to shoot them or I might of said .45 ACP. It's a toss up between 9mm's price to shoot and .357 SIG's ability to punch through anything!

9mmP for me. It's cheap enough I can afford to shoot it and it's effective enough (or not less effective than .40 S&W or .45 ACP) I don't feel underarmed carrying it.

Personally I prefer +P loads for carry ammo.

H

9mmP for me. It's cheap enough I can afford to shoot it and it's effective enough (or not less effective than .40 S&W or .45 ACP) I don't feel underarmed carrying it.

Personally I prefer +P loads for carry ammo.

H
Ditto. 9mm is cheap enough to train with and is effective. I do want a .40S&W and a .45ACP handgun to add to the collection but maybe when the budget allows.

I'm also with you on the +P for defensive ammo. Federal HST 147 +P all the way!

Isn't the Glock-22 carried by more police than any other handgun?
I know that 9mm is so ubiquitous as to be cheap to buy, but there is so much .40 S&W being used now that it also is not overly cost-prohibitive.

9mm, but if I could only have one based on a fixed amount of purchasing power it would be .22lr. I just love .22s so much because blasting off hundreds of rounds with anything else isn't much of an option.

My preferred caliber is 9mm. I've carried one for what seems like forever. 9mm pistols have always had more capacity than 45's and revolvers and as such have been my preference. As for cost of reloading, I am able to turn out nice quality, high speed (1250 fps) 124 gr rounds for $0.10 each. Love those guys at the range that when asked if they're saving their brass reply "you've got to be kidding, it's 9mm";). I just sweep it up for them and they then go out and buy more new for twice what it costs me to reload (and crappier ammo too).

That said, there is no really "Bad Caliber". Each has its attributes and followers.

Carry gun = 9mm

other carry gun = .45

Confused?

Me too.

I've always been a .45 fan, but wanted a smaller pistol to CC and wasn't about to go any smaller than 9mm.

That, and I also have a soft spot for Hi Powers....

Depends , are we talking handguns or pistols ? For handguns a .22wmr for rodents , a .357 or.38 for light carry , a .45 acp 1911 for heavy carry , and a .44 or .45 colt revolver if we think we might have to mess with some thing BIG . If we're talking pistols then the 4.25" scandium frame 1911 in .45acp does the job .
Just my opinion .

Honestly I generally carry a 45. Not because it the be all end all, simply because I prefer 1911's and most 1911's are 45's. I am sitting on a few thousand 9mm range brass that are just waiting for the funding for a 9mm 1911 though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

My preferred pistol for what?

Being technically correct I'll say that my favorite pistol caliber is .45 ACP. Yeah, I'm predictable, it's a 1911. It's rare that I carry a different gun and I carry every day.

Bending the rules a bit and including revolvers I have 2. For years my woods gun has been a .41 Mag. More than enough power for what I might run into anywhere around here. 210gr at 1350 fps will take the fight out of anything. Recently I've backed up a bit and bought a .357. It's a sweet shooting 7 shot, 4" Smith and I really like this gun. The 41 Mag will likely see less use because of this gun.

45ACP for daily carry and practice but the 10mm puts the biggest smile on my face! If you reload the difference in price between 9mm and 45 isn't enough to worry about...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top