JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After basic, did 10 weeks of combined marching and swimming as part of a trials, just to earn the right to train for real:oops:
The failure rate during that 10 weeks was a consistent 98%, of the 88 that started my training cycle, only 4 of us made it to the finish. Then off to my 24 month training cycle where again, the wash out rate is brutal. Of the 24 in my squadron, only 2 of us graduated and earned the coveted Red Beret! I cannot even tell you the miles we ran, the many hours we marched in every conceivable environmental challenging terrain, nor the countless miles we swam with out a boat, or even more with one. We would also do air assaults with up to 140 pounds of gear, and then have to hike further in, and then hike back out!!!! Much of that load out was consumables like good food and ammo, and many times we would leave caches to ether be picked up later if needed, or left behind! Could I do any of that now, he'll no! Stomper Stopper is 100% correct, it's all in the mind, the body can do incredible things, and go far beyond any limits you think you have, THIS is why the training is so intense, it's to teach you that your limits are only set by your mind! Pain, suffering, hunger, discomfort, lack of sleep, or rest, all are games of the mind! Set your mind on the mission and ignore every thing else!

I seem to recall someone asking if that was the best way to get the cream of the crop to the top, so to speak. After reading these posts from these real warriors,, @Bushman, any more questions?
And to all of you, your the real hero's, and a thank you will never be enough. I for one am forever grateful for each and every one of you. Bless you.

After basic, did 10 weeks of combined marching and swimming as part of a trials, just to earn the right to train for real:oops:
The failure rate during that 10 weeks was a consistent 98%, of the 88 that started my training cycle, only 4 of us made it to the finish. Then off to my 24 month training cycle where again, the wash out rate is brutal. Of the 24 in my squadron, only 2 of us graduated and earned the coveted Red Beret! I cannot even tell you the miles we ran, the many hours we marched in every conceivable environmental challenging terrain, nor the countless miles we swam with out a boat, or even more with one. We would also do air assaults with up to 140 pounds of gear, and then have to hike further in, and then hike back out!!!! Much of that load out was consumables like good food and ammo, and many times we would leave caches to ether be picked up later if needed, or left behind! Could I do any of that now, he'll no! Stomper Stopper is 100% correct, it's all in the mind, the body can do incredible things, and go far beyond any limits you think you have, THIS is why the training is so intense, it's to teach you that your limits are only set by your mind! Pain, suffering, hunger, discomfort, lack of sleep, or rest, all are games of the mind! Set your mind on the mission and ignore every thing else!

40%

60# Ruck with a 40# base plate attached! I can't tell you how many road marches and training missions with that damn thing.

Glad those days are over but thankful for them because they helped me become who I am ;)

I do not even consider myself a hero by any means, way shape or form, I just did what I could do for my fellow countrymen. The real hero's did not live to tell tales of the battles in which they had fought.:s0005: Here's to them all. SALUTE!!!

I do not even consider myself a hero by any means, way shape or form, I just did what I could do for my fellow countrymen. The real hero's did not live to tell tales of the battles in which they had fought.:s0005: Here's to them all. SALUTE!!!
You said it better then I ever could! It wasn't glory, It wasn't bragging rights, it wasn't to be cool, it was because I was THAT GUY who Could, so I did!

You said it better then I ever could! It wasn't glory, It wasn't bragging rights, it wasn't to be cool, it was because I was THAT VGUY who Could, so I did!

Very well put!!

I would say: Yes it is effective.
Planes , helicopters , trucks , APC's , etc... are all nice ... but to really get somewhere with out being spotted you need to walk in.

I can not speak for Delta ... but having gone thru and passed Airborne , Air Assault and Ranger Schools .. these schools teach skills that are building blocks , as it were for Special Forces / Special Operations.
As for length of the school its not the quantity of instruction but quality of instruction... So to speak.
Also each of these schools have much different task and mission* ... But when combined they can help each other and the individual solider who went to each school perform their job to the best of their ability.

* For example I served for three of my combat tours in LRRP / LRSD units.
We needed to be Airborne and Ranger trained to do our job of Reconnaissance , Bomb Damage Assessment , Long Range Ambush , or the calling in of Air Strikes behind enemy lines etc ...
All of which meant miles and miles of walking after whatever means of initially being inserted into a area.

As for intelligent and capable warriors ... Again I would say Yes!
These schools challenge the soldiers both physically and mentally.
Thinking and making the correct decision with little to no sleep , damn little food , in all types of weather and terrain , the stress of not wanting to fail at your task and more ... All serve to make you into a better soldier.

It is very difficult to get across to those who have not served or been to the above mention schools the sense of pride in having gone and passed them or just what it takes to pass those schools.
Andy
Edit to note:
I do not think of myself as a "Bad Arse" ... I am however proud to have passed those schools and served my country with the skills I learned in them.
I simply was a soldier who enjoyed his job and tried to do it the best I could.

So you went to Ranger School not RASP?

I seem to recall someone asking if that was the best way to get the cream of the crop to the top, so to speak. After reading these posts from these real warriors,, @Bushman, any more questions?
And to all of you, your the real hero's, and a thank you will never be enough. I for one am forever grateful for each and every one of you. Bless you.

Was anyone here SF or SO? Reading some of the responses it looks like one guy was Airborne and went to Ranger school, but from Rangers I've talked to RASP is the official Ranger training.

Looking for those who went to RASP and SF selection and made it. I know a few SEALs from team 2, but they told me the tendinitis was the worst part of BUDs, not the cold water surf torture or PT. Tendinitis from shivering constantly....They also told me the training was nowhere near as hard as actual operations they went on. Then my Marine friend tells me he served with some and it's all hype. I imagine it takes a highly motivated person to go deep behind enemy lines and that PT makes sure you've got heart.

Hat's off to anyone who can run 5 miles in 35 minutes (40 required but to be competitive...). I think Rangers are under rated light infantry, considering how many become Delta's.

If any of you are actual ex SF or SO, what do you do now for work?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top