JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
J
RE : Post #4 and the smelly Diesel.

Aloha, Mark
Also in hillsboro

One homeless 80's rv or trash pickup puts out more bubblegum than any of these diesel trucks methinks. Yet they don't even get pulled over for no license plate, no working signals, no muffler etc. Many of them are stolen. If they wanted to do something about emissions they probably should go after those. Plus they are always catching on fire. One rv fire probably puts out more crap than all the modified diesel trucks combined around here I'll bet. Insulation, formaldehyde, etc toxic stuff, much worse than any diesel soot.

From nextdoor:

33F1D16F-2053-443C-9877-6323C003483F.jpeg

Last Edited:
Anything with DEF should be avoided. Unless you are okay with doing a "delete" the DEF trucks are the worst.

Also, if you are looking at something newer from the early 2000's until now, make sure it doesn't have a trouble prone high pressure fuel pump. Several brands have suffered catastrophic fuel pump issues that are extremely expensive to repair. I think it's affected all 3 brands at some point.
The US Fed. Government has extremely screwed up, complicated and almost destroyed one of the most simplest forms of transportation energy of the world . All that is needed is 3 component working together to function - Air, Diesel and Compression.
Diesel produces less toxic gasses than gasoline, and also takes less energy to refine and produce than Gasoline. The majority of the world uses and endorses Diesel . Here in the USA the Federal EPA bureaucracy has a major Hard-on against, and works against to destroy Diesel .

Meh. Mine is a '13 Ford 6.7. The DEF thing is much adieu about nothing, in my experience.

I rather like that it's not blowing black smoke all over.
At my previous employer, we had lots of PowerStroke 6.7's, and I believe it was the 2013+2014 versions that gave us tons of trouble. The urea injection and cooled EGR system were the issues I remember the most.
2015+ seemed to be better, but those have the CP4 that is a ticking time bomb.

Awesome driving trucks, everything else was solid on them, power was excellent, even laden for utilities work.
However, I got tired of limping them back to the shop every other month, finding out I'd need to pull my tools and equipment off of it so it can go back to the dealership for warranty.

At my previous employer, we had lots of PowerStroke 6.7's, and I believe it was the 2013+2014 versions that gave us tons of trouble. The urea injection and cooled EGR system were the issues I remember the most.
2015+ seemed to be better, but those have the CP4 that is a ticking time bomb.

Awesome driving trucks, everything else was solid on them, power was excellent, even laden for utilities work.
However, I got tired of limping them back to the shop every other month, finding out I'd need to pull my tools and equipment off of it so it can go back to the dealership for warranty.
I'm not scared. 160k+ thus far. I just had to replace the turbo 5k miles ago and had to replace the DEF heater many years ago, but has otherwise been trouble free and has no problems hauling all my crap over the mountains between MT, WA and sometimes beyond. I could probably replace the entire DEF/SCR system 20 times or so before I come close to the cost of a new truck. Outside of a collision that results in a total loss, keeping this thing going forever is my plan. Luckily I just bought a new Bronco, so it's no longer my daily driver. Keeping the city miles off will help immensely.

I'm still driving a 1984 Blazer with the old 6.2 Ltr diesel. Very simple engine, and it just keeps on keeping on. Only thing special I do is add Stanadyne fuel additive every other tank.

I'm still driving a 1984 Blazer with the old 6.2 Ltr diesel. Very simple engine, and it just keeps on keeping on. Only thing special I do is add Stanadyne fuel additive every other tank.
Diesel fuel additive is (imho) is pretty good, most have some upper cylinder lube in them . A good simple upper cylinder lube is, throw-in a few Oz's of 'marine' 2-stroke oil into full tank on a fill . I have done that for more than a few hundred-k miles on this 5.9 running now.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews